Thurstons legacy

ron_burgandy

i think there is no doubt that JT will retire as probably a top 5 HB to ever play the game…. maybe the greatest....but does he need to lead a team to a premiership to over take the likes of Andrew johns and so on?

He played a bench role for the dogs in 04 but to truly cement his legacy does he need that premiership as a starting halfback? personally i think he does if he want to be considered along side andrew johns as the best 7 to ever play the game

he might end up in the same club as good players never to have won a premiership.
like tommy, wayne pearce, ben elias etc.

@westTAHger said:
he might end up in the same club as good players never to have won a premiership.

but thurston is alot better player then those guys and has won a premiership albeit as a bench player…..there is no doubt he will be top 5 as far as halfbacks go....but can he be the best if he doesnt lead a team to the title?

As much as I like the way Thurston plays, I disagree with this thread. He will never never be the best halfback. Andrew Johns is and always will be the best. Probably Peter Sterling is right up there with Joey but thats just my opinion.

The bloke is better than Johns in my opinion… Joey's drug scandal for me really ruined my opinion of his game.... Up until mid last season I couldn't stand Thurston and I cringed when I heard his named mentioned with the likes of Johns and co.... but he is a great player.

Not sure missing out on an NRL title will hurt him that much, he's been a proven performer at rep level for a long time now.

I reckon Johns was streets ahead of Thurston as a halfback. He was able to do everything, the passing, the kicking, running it himself, not to mention his defense. He had the strength, the speed and the brains. He could carry an average team on his own shoulders, something Thurston hasn't been able to do.

No point mentioning what he has done off the field.

@westTAHger said:

He won a title with the dogs in 2004!

Carrying on from the other thread that was mysteriously locked, Thurston is setting up a great legacy for himself.

I think your right Ron he does need to win a premiership and when he does he should rightlfully be claimed as the best no.7 ever.
He's already the best Origin halfback and arguably the best test half as well. Johns wouldnt rate in the top 5 of either of these categories….For club performances though Johns does have him - so far.

To those that were laughing about his off-field indescrecians....they are all baseless rumors.

What I see from him is a bloke who stays behind after a game to sign autographs for kids supporting both sides. He regularly gives gear away to supporters, and the big one......he's not a racist druggo!!!

If he had of stayed in Sydney he would have won at least one more premiership by now....It could be that the cowboys inept performances over the years could seal his fate.

Thurston will go down as one of the greats but do compare him to Johns is a bit outlandish. Johns never has been run over the top of like Thurston was in Origin by Hayne and by Hayne again when the Cowboys played the Eels. Johns also revolutionised the game with his kicking and passing and kind of led the way for blokes like Thurston… Johns also led an awful side to win a premiership in 2001 basically winning it by himself something that Thurston hasn't been able to do even with the like of O'Donnell, Bowen, Tonga, Payne as his supporting cast. Not taking anything away from Thurston because he has dominated the NRL for the past 5 years

If we are talking about pure natrual skill and nothing to do with people personally lives I think Johns is the best HB ever followed by Stirling then thurston, that being said Thurston is still fairly young and has time to acheive more greatness.

@ron burgandy said:
@westTAHger said:

but thurston is **alot better player then those guys** and has won a premiership albeit as a bench player…..there is no doubt he will be top 5 as far as halfbacks go....but can he be the best if he doesnt lead a team to the title?

that is the most stupid thing i have ever heard u say..

Your comparing a half back to a forward? what drugs have u been smoking in the last 24 hours cause the crap your dribbling is getting worse

@T-REXX said:
@ron burgandy said:
@westTAHger said:

but thurston is **alot better player then those guys** and has won a premiership albeit as a bench player…..there is no doubt he will be top 5 as far as halfbacks go....but can he be the best if he doesnt lead a team to the title?

that is the most stupid thing i have ever heard u say..

Your comparing a half back to a forward? what drugs have u been smoking in the last 24 hours cause the crap your dribbling is getting worse

he is a better player then them though…..not comparing just stating obvious fact

Thurston's not a great halfback. He's in the top 5 maybe at this current time in the NRL.

Definitely the best 5/8th in the league by the length of the straight though and imo, one of the best to play in a long time.

I disagree with you here ron. Thurston is a very good player but he is not as good as Joey Johns was.

@alien said:
I disagree with you here ron. Thurston is a very good player but he is not as good as Joey Johns was.

he still has another 5+ years left mate…..and has dominated at rep level more then johns.....i think when its all said and done he may go down as the best 7 ever....put thurston in a rabbitohs tigers manly jersey and he would probably have 1-2 premierships in then next few years

Back