Tigers undecided over halfback role

Danos

**Tigers undecided over halfback role**
>
It's the key position they've struggled to fill since losing premiership captain Scott Prince and confusion remains over the Wests Tigers No.7 spot just three weeks out from the 2010 season.
>
Such is the uncertainty that even coach and star playmaker appear at odds over the halfback role, with Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall throwing up different alternatives for the position.
>
Marshall has backed youngster Robert Lui - who will start at halfback in Sunday's Foundation Cup trial match against the Sydney Roosters - as the long-term solution, something the club hasn't had since Prince headed north to join Gold Coast in 2007.
>
Sheens on the other hand has suggested Tim Moltzen could see plenty of time at halfback, the veteran coach fearful of rushing Lui before his time.
>
The imminent arrival of dual international Lote Tuqiri only complicates matters, with Sheens seemingly intent on playing the former Brisbane flyer at fullback.
>
"At the moment I am using Timmy Moltzen at one but I am hopeful that will go eventually to Tuqiri," Sheens said.
>
"Tim had a great season last season at fullback and when he played seven he did very well.
>
"Robert Lui has a future at seven if he really wants to take it as he has terrific talent, but he has a long way to go, he is 19.
>
"At the moment I am using Robbie (Lui) to bring up his confidence levels and once he starts dominating Robbie (hooker Robbie Farah) and Benji that's when the kid will show the class he has got, because with ball in hand there isn't many better.
>
"But I am going to blood him slowly this season and the trial is a good start."
>
Marshall though appears keen for Lui's apprenticeship to stretch into the regular season, believing the Tigers were best served with Moltzen at fullback.
>
Lui played three games at halfback for the Tigers late last season - the joint venture winning in his debut game before back to back losses put paid to their finals hopes.
>
"Robbie's been going pretty good - we've trained (together) since January with me and Robbie in the halves," Marshall said.
>
"Tim's going to be playing fullback no doubt. I think that's his position and if he has to fill in the halves he can, but definitely fullback for Tim.
>
"I'm sure He (Lui) will hold his own, he's one of the most talented kids I've seen, he just needs a bit of time."
>
Asked where that would leave Tuqiri - who is expected to miss the opening month of the season, Marshall said:
>
"Taniela (Tuiaki is) going to be out for a while on the wing, so I thing Lote will probably slip in on the wing for a bit.
>
"But who knows what's going to happen over the course of the season."
>
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/tigers-undecided-over-halfback-role-3369493

Apologies if this has already been posted. Interesting comments though and intriguing that Benji & Sheens each see a different future for the #1 & #7, at least for the season ahead.

Happy days…..

Motzen to start the year in 7........I've been saying it for a while....come on Sheens you know it makes sense....

@Geo. said:
Happy days…..

Motzen to start the year in 7........I've been saying it for a while....come on Sheens you know it makes sense....

Sheens…...........sense?????????????????????????????????

Interesting reading….but still for me - Arana halfback, Tuqiri wing and Moltzen fullback...leave Lui in the 20's for one more year!

for the sake of us making the finals i hope moltz is a half back, lui while possible a great talent isnt going to steer us to the finals, we have more then enough strike power without him

@Tigers 2010 said:
Interesting reading….but still for me - Arana halfback, Tuqiri wing and Moltzen fullback...leave Lui in the 20's for one more year!

Nah, if he's not in first grade Lui should be playing for Wests or Balmain.

Lui will stay there. I think Benji's instincts will be important to Sheens, he is only throwing Tim's name around to keep the pressure on Lui. We will be much more of a potent side with Timmy in 1 and Lui in 7\. I just feel sorry for Moltz having Lote breathing down his neck for that fullback spot. Where does that leave him? Hopefully he doesn't get branded as a utility just because he is good all over the park.

Lote has to stay on the wing. It keeps the best 7 backs on the park, unless moltz moves to centre and blake onto the wing.

Arana will be our 14, at best, for the start of the season. He needs to earn his spot.

1\. Jake Mullaney
2\. Rhys Pritchard
3\. Blake Ayshford
4\. Chris Lawrence
5\. Beau Ryan
6\. Benji Marshall
7\. Tim Moltzen
8\. Keith Galloway
9\. Robbie Farah
10\. Todd Payten
11\. Chris heighington
12\. gareth Ellis
13.Liam Fulton

14\. Bryce Gibbs
15\. Robert Lui
16\. Andrew Fifita
17\. Jason Cayless

@Balmain Bug said:
1\. Jake Mullaney
2\. Rhys Pritchard
3\. Blake Ayshford
4\. Chris Lawrence
5\. Beau Ryan
6\. Benji Marshall
7\. Tim Moltzen
8\. Keith Galloway
9\. Robbie Farah
10\. Todd Payten
11\. Chris heighington
12\. gareth Ellis
13.Liam Fulton

14\. Bryce Gibbs
15\. Robert Lui
16\. Andrew Fifita
17\. Jason Cayless

Swap Pritchard for Tuqiri and I'd be happy with that.

We have stacks of depth this year!

@Tigers 2010 said:

I agree mate,
I think that this will be our most dangerous 1,7 combo. No need to rush Lui in when he is still so young.

It is all going to heavily depend one when Lote returns to the Tigers. If Lui can prove himself then Lote will probably have to play on the wing.

**Benji Marshall has big wraps on new halves partner Robbie Lui**

By Christian Nicolussi From: The Daily Telegraph February 18, 2010 12:00AM

**BENJI Marshall says new halves partner Robbie Lui is a "freak" and hopes he can finally become the Wests Tigers' long-term No. 7.**

Lui will be given every chance to make the halfback role his own with Tim Moltzen, last year's playmaker, expected to remain at fullback and dual international recruit Lote Tuqiri on the wing.

Marshall has trained hard with Lui and thinks the youngster could be the name on fans' lips. He said: "The change I've seen in him from last year to this year has been incredible," he said."I think people will see something special. He's a freak, got natural talent and so deceiving when he runs, he's going a lot faster than you think."

The Tigers have gone through John Morris (23), Robbie Farah (11), Matty Head (10), Moltzen (5) and Marshall himself (20) since Scott Prince departed after the 2005 premiership. Arana Taumata has also impressed during the pre-season and can slot in at halfback.

Marshall said "anything less than making the eight was not acceptable" and stressed the Tigers needed to start strong.

Meanwhile, Marshall remains a firm favourite with the fans. He visited several schools with Moltzen yesterday and, during a side-stepping drill at St Brendan's at Annandale, had one female teacher leaping into his arms for a quick cuddle with her hero.

@Aladinsane said:
The Tigers have gone through John Morris (23), Robbie Farah (11), Matty Head (10), Moltzen (5) and Marshall himself (20) since Scott Prince departed after the 2005 premiership. Arana Taumata has also impressed during the pre-season and can slot in at halfback.

Wow that is interesting. John Morris 23, Moltzen just 5\. :deadhorse:

In a few days we get a better picture of whether Lui looks the goods at 7\. Plenty of top Tiger players have talked him up so we'll soon see if he lives up to the hype.

I'm with you hammertime in your comments.I guess Tim Moltzen will become the Utility player and what a player to fill in anywhere when required.Robert Lui is a halfback and thats what West Tigers need.We alsso need Benji at 5/8,where he plays his best.
\
\
:sign: :supporter:

@Danos said:
@Tigers 2010 said:

Nah, if he's not in first grade Lui should be playing for Wests or Balmain.

Yep… better quality comp and he will gain valuable expirience from it. I think Lote should be used at Fullback... he would be absolutely devestating! Espceically given the refs are going to make sure the fullbacks have more time to run it back this season. We saw Sheens use TNT as a battering ram last season ALOT running it back, so no doubt he'll want to have another big bloke running it back where possible.

We have PLENTY of outside backs, so i don't think wasting Lote on the wing is wise (maybe for the first few rounds, but not the season).

Moltz was BRILLIANT in the halves last season and should be playing there this season.

Next season when Lui comes good (if he does) move Ayshford to lock (big offseason bulking up), Moltzen to the centers and Lui to half.

@Kaiser said:
We have PLENTY of outside backs, so i don't think wasting Lote on the wing is wise (maybe for the first few rounds, but not the season).

i don't see lote on the wing as a waste if he can turn chances into points.
i really hope he stays there all year,which would probably mean lui and moltz are doing the job for us.

@bonstonker said:
@Kaiser said:

i don't see lote on the wing as a waste if he can turn chances into points.
i really hope he stays there all year,which would probably mean lui and moltz are doing the job for us.

Yep, if Lote stays on the wing, then it means our young guns are firing, and thats exactly what we want. Lote can be hugely involved from the wing, so i dont see it as a waste either.

Back