Victory gives Sheens no shelter from snipers inside Tigers

G

Victory gives Sheens no shelter from snipers inside the Tigers
DANIEL LANE
May 23, 2010

Tigers great Paul Sironen and club management have defended besieged coach Tim Sheens's non-attendance at the Balmain Tigers' annual Hall of Fame dinner last week by blaming muckrakers for trying to exploit his absence.

Sheens, who signed a new deal with the Tigers six weeks ago, and his skipper, Robbie Farah, were promoted as guests at this year's dinner, at which former NRL boss Neil Whittaker, who played hooker for Balmain, and 1940s halfback Stan Ponchard were admitted to the Balmain Hall of Fame.

There was also a moving tribute to the late Kevin Humphreys, the former head of Balmain and the NSWRL. He was represented by his son and current CEO, Stephen.

However, The Sun-Herald received phone calls on Thursday that suggested some audience members were offended by Sheens's absence. They said he was ''taking cover'' after a tsunami of criticism that followed last Sunday's 50-10 defeat to Souths at the SCG.

''After the loss to Souths it was decided the team would go into camp ahead of the Newcastle game on Friday night, and everyone involved in organising the dinner agreed that was a wise move,'' said Sironen, the Tigers' acting general manager.

''There was no problem, no issue, no drama. Look, Tim Sheens has been around way too long to be avoiding dinners and things like that. The team went into camp and won the game against Newcastle. I'm sure that would've pleased all Wests Tigers supporters.''

Humphreys was outraged by the notion anyone at the dinner would have complained about a situation he said had been explained to them in plain, simple English.

''Given our desire to ensure the guys were prepared as well as possible for last night [Friday], we sent them up to Newcastle a day early, which meant Tim and Robbie couldn't go. At the end Tim was reluctant to miss it but I convinced him to go with the team,'' he said.

''I hoped the Tigers fans in the room understood that and they agreed we should prioritise winning the game. I got a big cheer of support for that.''

Humphreys had no doubt the anger expressed about Sheens's non-attendance was an offshoot of the widespread criticism of the veteran coach's performance during the week.

''When you're as outspoken as Tim you pick up a few people along the way who like to have a crack at you,'' he said. ''Tim is tough enough to live with that, as we all are. People have their agendas and they wait for an opportunity.''

So if anyone criticizes or questions Tim Sheens it means they have an agenda?

@alien said:

No…after the debacle that what the Souff's game a decision by Management and Sheens was made to go into Camp on Wednesday to sort out the football team ....You know his job...

That is why he and Farah.... didn't attend the hall of fame dinner....

Then people with an agenda against him turn it into a thing saying Sheens snubbed them .....please

Wake Up...what is more important...Winning on the football field or mamby pambying to people who think they are owed something?????????....

People have their agendas and they wait for an opportunity.

Thats ironic

The same could be said of Sheens swipe at ''the fans that call themselves fans''…he waited for his opportunity too.

its the winning on the field that counts, gets the team the two points.
progresses wests-tigers towards the soo longed for finals appearance.
if taking the team away ensured a win each week, then do it.

frustration is becoming evident for fans and coach.
fans swipe at coach, coach responds, looks like tit for tat.
years ago you would both get a smack across the back of head :smiley: and both told get over it.

@Geo. said:
@alien said:

No…after the debacle that what the Souff's game a decision by Management and Sheens was made to go into Camp on Wednesday to sort out the football team ....You know his job...

That is why he and Farah.... didn't attend the hall of fame dinner....

Then people with an agenda against him turn it into a thing saying Sheens snubbed them .....please

Wake Up...what is more important...Winning on the football field or mamby pambying to people who think they are owed something?????????....

I have no problem with them going into camp early and missing the dinner event. I thought Humphreys was saying everyone that has criticized Tim Sheens about his coaching had an agenda.

Ummm…..did you read this article......they are critisiztng him for not showing at the dinner.....nothing to do with his coaching.... :brick:

@Geo. said:
Ummm…..did you read this article......they are critisiztng him for not showing at the dinner.....nothing to do with his coaching.... :brick:

Wow calm down. :laughing:

Yeah I just re-read it.

He probably thought "Dinner with Neil Whittaker and Paul Sironen? Screw that…."

At Lowes...

I would have actually been pretty annoyed if Sheens and Robbie went to the dinner rather than stay with the team in camp, especially after the rubbish we were subjected to against Souffs.

I criticise Sheens quite a bit, but this is a bit ridiculous. Stuff the dinner, we had a game to prepare for.

@hybrid_tiger said:
I would have actually been pretty annoyed if Sheens and Robbie went to the dinner rather than stay with the team in camp, especially after the rubbish we were subjected to against Souffs.

I criticise Sheens quite a bit, but this is a bit ridiculous. Stuff the dinner, we had a game to prepare for.

I agree.

Well the only way he can silence the critics is by winning games, the next couple of weeks will be a real test of where our team is at.. I really hope we can go on a roll

@Geo. said:
I'm calm now that you have backpeddled….well done,,, :smiley:

I never had a problem with them going into camp in Newcastle early. I thought it was a good idea. I do admit that I misread a little of what was written.

pffftttt - who cares. Amongst the hundreds of guests - they weren't missed. More media BS. I'm getting sick of the constant jibes. I'm no Sheens supporter (or hater for that matter). But even I can ssee a pattern emerging here. For heavens sake, if we were winning more games and playing well, none of this trash would be printed. I reckon we were robbed against the Rorters - a win there would see us in the top 4 I think. We'd be being talked up as premiership contenders.

IF we donlt make the 8, I'll be calling for Sheens head. But we have 4 long months of footy left in front of us. Let's hold off on the public linching until such time as we see the end result of our season - BUT NO EXCUSES THIS YEAR.

for years now sheens has been given a hard time by the media you think they would give him one weeks break during the year, so he could get this team prepared for a season defining game

@tigh said:
pffftttt - who cares. Amongst the hundreds of guests - they weren't missed. …...

You're right, tigh. Must say I was a little disappointed that the team wasn't there, but got over it very quickly. It was a great night!!!

Tigergran

Latest posts

Members online

Back