We MUST be broke

innsaneink

Moderator
Forum Leader
Back in March

Tigers looking to buy back-up
>
….....................''We need some front-rowers,'' he said. ''We've got some young blokes who are doing a good job for us in Ava [Seumanufagai] and Jack Buchanan. But eventually it's going to wear them down. We just need to bolster our [broader] squad up as well. We'll have to find something in the short term.''….............................................................
>
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/tigers-looking-to-buy-backup-20130323-2gmkn.html#ixzz2XUtuI3Fa
\
\
Today

http://www.nrl.com/roosters-release-tasi-from-nrl-contract/tabid/10874/newsid/73183/default.aspx
>
The Sydney Roosters on Friday announced Lama Tasi had been granted an immediate release from his contract.
>
The 23-year-old prop was contracted to the club until the end of 2013 but has been granted the release to enhance his prospects of playing regularly in the NRL for the rest of the season.
>
Roosters chief operating officer football Brian Canavan, said: "Lama has a lot to offer the NRL and the club has taken this decision together with Lama based on what we consider in his best interests as a professional NRL player.
>
"Lama has been a popular clubman and terrific contributor to the Roosters both on and off the field. He has made many friends at the Roosters and, on behalf of everyone at the club, we wish him the very best for the future."
>
Tasi has played 30 games in the NRL since joining the Roosters in 2011\. He made his first-grade debut against Gold Coast in round eight that year.

A few other players between now and then have moved around....yet weve done nothing for this year
 
I'd say that was before the ridiculous injury toll hit us Ink, we're pretty much maxed out this year I would think. Probably why there was talk then, and no action now.
 
@Cultured Bogan said:
I'd say that was before the ridiculous injury toll hit us Ink, we're pretty much maxed out this year I would think. Probably why there was talk then, and no action now.

This x2.

I think its not all doom and gloom - player like Jesse Sue and Seumanuf…..erm Big Ava have come along and really stood up.

Give them 12 months and they will become the backrowers we "needed" to buy.
 
We bought Taupau for next year. Our caps maxed with the injuries, no chance of a midyear transfer when that's the case.
 
@GNR4LIFE said:
Bound to be the case when one half of the JV is almost bankrupt.

For someone "factionally tied" to the same roots as you, it is kind of disheartening to repeatedly watch you stoop low and stab at the slighest opening…

That said, I honestly think we are the goods recruitment wise. A tough season injury wise has obviously driven the stocks up of some of the kids, Sue, Nofo and Ava, so we will be paying them higher than if we could have nurtured them in NYC or U20's, but to their credit they have been the up to standard at the very least. We have alot of previous poor recruitment to deal with, long under-performing contracts as well, but all in all, taking the balance of books into account, we have the cattle on hand already... we just need the clock to tick over so we can fob off the dead wood. What i wouldnt give for some termites.
 
Possibly second tier, I cannot really comment as Im not up on 2nd tier exemptions. On the plus side, we will have opened up alot of space next yr in our top 25, we should be alot more capable throughout the extended roster without taking into consideration the cash freed up by payments finalising to players paid who are no longer on our roster. Just Utai, Bell, Tiquiri and Iosefa should free up the best part of $1M, especially taking payments to Heigno and apparently Ellis into account. The cap has gone up too.

You would have to almost think that we will be in the black next yr, under by a fair shot, and able to save for future season marquee signings ala Sydney Rorters.
 
Having to pay out the contracts of several former players, and a certain coach, might also have something to do with our lack of dough.
 
@Cultured Bogan said:
I'd say that was before the ridiculous injury toll hit us Ink, we're pretty much maxed out this year I would think. Probably why there was talk then, and no action now.

How does the injury toll affect our first grade cap?
I know it can with season ending injurys, but thats a positive when an exemption is sought for
 
@innsaneink said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
I'd say that was before the ridiculous injury toll hit us Ink, we're pretty much maxed out this year I would think. Probably why there was talk then, and no action now.

How does the injury toll affect our first grade cap?
I know it can with season ending injurys, but thats a positive when an exemption is sought for

I'd also imagine our first grade cap would be maxed out too. Don't know how much truth there is to this, but we're purported to be paying out players who are no longer here out of this years cap, plus our rather meagre purchases last season suggested we were probably never in the market.

When you made reference to the Roosters kid, I assumed you meant as a second tier purchase. In either case I think we're stuffed for this season.
 
@Black'n'White said:
@GNR4LIFE said:
Bound to be the case when one half of the JV is almost bankrupt.

For someone "factionally tied" to the same roots as you, it is kind of disheartening to repeatedly watch you stoop low and stab at the slighest opening…

X 2 … So childish.
 
@Abraham said:
@Black'n'White said:
@GNR4LIFE said:
Bound to be the case when one half of the JV is almost bankrupt.

For someone "factionally tied" to the same roots as you, it is kind of disheartening to repeatedly watch you stoop low and stab at the slighest opening…

X 2 … So childish.

How can a fact be childish.Numbers don't lie.I think the JV will be in much , much better position financially when and if Balmain gets their books balancing. Not being critical just telling how it is.
 
Some people just like to nit pick anything and blow it out of proportion. X2 what EODT said, what was stated by me is a fact, anyone going to say it isn't? not like i said it in a way that i was taking a cheap shot like some like to assume. Its an unfortunate reality atm, here's hoping they can sort themselves out soon, cos it will only benefit the JV

Get over yourselves
 
@Cultured Bogan said:
@innsaneink said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
I'd say that was before the ridiculous injury toll hit us Ink, we're pretty much maxed out this year I would think. Probably why there was talk then, and no action now.

How does the injury toll affect our first grade cap?
I know it can with season ending injurys, but thats a positive when an exemption is sought for

**I'd also imagine our first grade cap would be maxed out too. Don't know how much truth there is to this, but we're purported to be paying out players who are no longer here out of this years cap, plus our rather meagre purchases last season suggested we were probably never in the market.**

When you made reference to the Roosters kid, I assumed you meant as a second tier purchase. In either case I think we're stuffed for this season.

Yeh, but this wouldve been the case as well in March when Potter made those comments ?

Maybe with the rookies coming through their future vision has altered slightly - who knows
 
Three signings so far in the Potter era. An aging but acceptable outside back and two youngsters with potential in Taupau and Pangai. All three pretty apt un-Sheens like signings tbh.

Actually what am I saying, Richards is a Sheens like signing lol.
 
@MacDougall said:
Three signings so far in the Potter era. An aging but acceptable outside back and two youngsters with potential in Taupau and Pangai. All three pretty apt un-Sheens like signings tbh.

Actually what am I saying, Richards is a Sheens like signing lol.

I dunno Mac ,many were getting excited about Pettybourne ,Thompson and Anasta

Taupau,Pangai and Richards

Two fringe first graders and 30 year old

we will see in the future what these guys can bring I guess
 
@MacDougall said:
Three signings so far in the Potter era. An aging but acceptable outside back and two youngsters with potential in Taupau and Pangai. All three pretty apt un-Sheens like signings tbh.

Actually what am I saying, Richards is a Sheens like signing lol.

Notice how you said two youngsters with potential? And notice how most people's preferred backline for 2014 is ALSO full of youngsters with potential? We need some stability, we need some experience and benji is definitely not gonna provide it for the backs. THEREFORE, we got pat richards! :slight_smile: and he's no slouch despite his age either
 
I'm prepared to give Richards a chance given his form in the SL. We got the best out of Lote at a similar age and despite it being the in thing to bash the guy, he declined only due to injuries. If Richards can stay healthy i think he'll be an asset. Can't wait to see his booming kick offs again.
 

Latest posts

Staff online

Back
Top