Wests Tigers are Born

Peaches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWs4vo9k6MU

Its basically a video someone made (galahs I think) that features news coverage on the voting for whether the 2 foundation clubs would become a merged club. As someone who was half their current age now when this all happened, I found it very interesting.

it really was the right thing to do, especially when you look at the NRL today
You only need to look at Leichhardt last week as proof

I was only a kid when that happened but even then I knew it was the right thing to do.

And at the time I was glad and even more so now that we didnt merge with Canterbury! Just imagine all those off field dramas with the Coffs Harbour incident, the salary cap scandal, having Mason, Maitua, $BW and Roberts mixed in with Hoppa, McGuinness and Field! Not good!

One of the saddest days of my life. 10 years on, like most of us, i'm at peace with the decision. Both our proud historical founding football clubs still exist through the pain and anguish that was initially felt when the term 'Joint Venture' was confirmed on this very day. 6 years into the union of both clubs, came the galvanisation period of the club's maiden premiership which dissolved the bitterness, bickering and blame game. 10 years on, instead of attacking one another, we stand united wanting success. The progression speaks for itself. The evolution is on going and the future remains very well alive in a time where financial uncertainty is facing many sports and many clubs. Happy Birthday Wests Tigers. Balmain and Western Suburbs live on through their NRL entity. Partners in crime; brothers in arms.

In general I am happy with the progress of the joint venture. To be brutally honest, I never expected a premiership in the first decade of the venture - considering the form of the Magpies and Tigers prior to merging.

I still miss my Magpies :frowning:

@Gobbs said:
One of the saddest days of my life. 10 years on, like most of us, i'm at peace with the decision. Both our proud historical founding football clubs still exist through the pain and anguish that was initially felt when the term 'Joint Venture' was confirmed on this very day. 6 years into the union of both clubs, came the galvanisation period of the club's maiden premiership which dissolved the bitterness, bickering and blame game. 10 years on, instead of attacking one another, we stand united wanting success. The progression speaks for itself. The evolution is on going and the future remains very well alive in a time where financial uncertainty is facing many sports and many clubs. Happy Birthday Wests Tigers. Balmain and Western Suburbs live on through their NRL entity. Partners in crime; brothers in arms.

words of a poet; very nicely said

I think that on the whole the club has combined well.

Watching the game on the TV the other day they had 2 supporters with jerseys that were 1/2 balmain & 1/2 wests.

Good to see.

It is getting to the stage 10 years on where a reasonable proportion of supporters will not remember Balmain Tigers or Wests Magpies. The younger ones will only know and love Wests Tigers. These numbers will continue to grow over the coming years.

We have not lost the history of the two founding clubs, we are just starting to build the history of the combined club.

I never had angst against the merger.I was a Balmain supporter but my second team was wests
It was like the Footy gods were answering my prayers.If Balmain would have merged with Parra i would'nt be following RL
I cant stand those maggots :mrgreen:

I am glad that the Magpies and Balmain football clubs continue along side with the West Tigers partnership. Otherwise I'm not sure if I'd support the merged club.
I had it harder than some as I hated Balmain as a kid. I really wasn't a fan of Benny Ellias or Wayne Pearce. So that made the merger harder for me. ie. I was happy to see the Bulldogs and Canberra beat Balmain in the Grandfinals.

So ideally I would still prefer that the Magpies were in the NRL, but the Wests Tigers is the 2nd best option.

Plus now I still get to watch my Magpies in NSW Cup, and get to watch Wests in the NRL.

Now all I want is more than 3 games a year at Campbelltown.

Was good to see how all of it went down. As i was only young 13-14 when it all happened.

I can remember one thing. I was so happy when i heard they had merged as it was on my birthday.

I was a balmain Supporter due to family but i did Follow Wests a little so the Merger really didn't upset me at all.

@Gobbs said:

Well put Cobbs
i feel very much like you - i'm an old Balmain supporter but i'm now at peace with it too.
In fact i think i've become even more fanatical as a supporter, i go to all the matches now, travelling all over the place, where before i'd only go to Leichhardt.
Anyway - onwards and upwards.

@tigerdre said:
I never had angst against the merger.I was a Balmain supporter but my second team was wests
It was like the Footy gods were answering my prayers.If Balmain would have merged with Parra i would'nt be following RL
I cant stand those maggots :mrgreen:

lol that was the same case as me.
As a kid I was a Balmain supporter because my dad was, but I live out in the Campbelltown area so I wanted Wests to do well too and we all know that wasnt the case at the time.
So as a 10 year old I saw it as my team combining with my local team to form a team with all the best players from Balmain and Wests to form a very competitive team, it wasnt exactly the case for the first few years though :laughing:

As hard as it was at the time i think most people accepted it was for the best and 10 yrs on things are looking relatively bright.

@Gobbs said:

very nicely said mate

Latest posts

Staff online

Back