Wests Tigers Home Ground Mega Thread

tiger_one

1711161186149.jpeg

The Wests Tigers head back to Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night chasing their first win of the season against Cronulla. It should be the beginning of a farewell tour.
Leichhardt Oval has run its course. It is a relic. An eyesore. The weary old ground is on its last legs and there is every chance that in its current condition, it is deemed unsuitable to host NRL games in a year or two.

Not a moment too soon I say. Good riddance. The Tigers play there out of homage to their history but surely even their patience is wearing thin.
Rugby league is a $700 million business and Leichhardt Oval is not fit to host it. The ground is loved by passionate Tigers fans, who have christened it the eighth wonder of the world.

Spare me, the only wonder is how the ground keeps getting the green light by the NRL to host elite rugby league given its current condition.
The clock, it appears, is ticking. Only last weekend, veteran sports reporter Neil Breen revealed on radio that Leichhardt Oval was in danger of being closed to the NRL unless it received a serious upgrade.

Officials would apparently have no choice but to shut it off to rugby league without a significant allocation of funds. Why wait I say.
The ground hasn’t been fit to host NRL games for years and the Tigers play there to their own detriment.
Rugby league has moved beyond the likes of Leichhardt Oval and so have their clubs. The ground is holding the Tigers – and the game – back.
Yes, they make money when they play at Leichhardt Oval but nowhere near as much as they would if they played at one of Sydney’s world-class stadiums.
Leichhardt restricts the club’s ability to sell memberships and corporate boxes. The fans on the hill love it but the blue bloods in the archaic stands are forced to endure primitive conditions despite paying top dollar.

There is no discernible advantage for the Tigers at the ground either. Their record there in recent seasons has been abysmal. They have won only one of their past five games at Leichhardt Oval, among those defeats an embarrassing 42-point loss to Canberra.
Dig a little deeper and you’ll find the Tigers have lost nine of their past 13 games at the ground. Leichhardt Oval is a graveyard – for the home side.
The sad state of Leichhardt and its uncertain future comes as the Tigers are in the midst of a strategic plan which is expected to be unveiled in the next fortnight.
That plan is likely to confirm their commitment to the southwest region, an area that has been hanging for some love and attention.
Yet Campbelltown Stadium isn’t the solution either. Like Leichhardt Oval, it needs major investment and without it, the Tigers need to find a home that reflects the fact they are a professional sporting team.

Chief executive Shane Richardson was architect of South Sydney’s move to Accor Stadium, inking a deal which gave them the financial muscle to match the cashed-up clubs.
Vacuous Accor Stadium isn’t the answer for the Tigers. Allianz Stadium needs more games but it is too far from the club’s heartland.
CommBank Stadium is more realistic. Parramatta’s revenues soared when they returned to the ground and the Tigers have previously had a relationship with the venue, although they have gravitated back to their spiritual homes in recent years.

Those days are surely numbered. The club’s new hierarchy will no doubt review their home grounds in coming months and determine a way forward.
It shouldn’t include Leichhardt Oval. At best, the ground should host one game a year. It’s day has come and long gone.

View attachment 11046

The Wests Tigers head back to Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night chasing their first win of the season against Cronulla. It should be the beginning of a farewell tour.
Leichhardt Oval has run its course. It is a relic. An eyesore. The weary old ground is on its last legs and there is every chance that in its current condition, it is deemed unsuitable to host NRL games in a year or two.

Not a moment too soon I say. Good riddance. The Tigers play there out of homage to their history but surely even their patience is wearing thin.
Rugby league is a $700 million business and Leichhardt Oval is not fit to host it. The ground is loved by passionate Tigers fans, who have christened it the eighth wonder of the world.

Spare me, the only wonder is how the ground keeps getting the green light by the NRL to host elite rugby league given its current condition.
The clock, it appears, is ticking. Only last weekend, veteran sports reporter Neil Breen revealed on radio that Leichhardt Oval was in danger of being closed to the NRL unless it received a serious upgrade.

Officials would apparently have no choice but to shut it off to rugby league without a significant allocation of funds. Why wait I say.
The ground hasn’t been fit to host NRL games for years and the Tigers play there to their own detriment.
Rugby league has moved beyond the likes of Leichhardt Oval and so have their clubs. The ground is holding the Tigers – and the game – back.
Yes, they make money when they play at Leichhardt Oval but nowhere near as much as they would if they played at one of Sydney’s world-class stadiums.
Leichhardt restricts the club’s ability to sell memberships and corporate boxes. The fans on the hill love it but the blue bloods in the archaic stands are forced to endure primitive conditions despite paying top dollar.

There is no discernible advantage for the Tigers at the ground either. Their record there in recent seasons has been abysmal. They have won only one of their past five games at Leichhardt Oval, among those defeats an embarrassing 42-point loss to Canberra.
Dig a little deeper and you’ll find the Tigers have lost nine of their past 13 games at the ground. Leichhardt Oval is a graveyard – for the home side.
The sad state of Leichhardt and its uncertain future comes as the Tigers are in the midst of a strategic plan which is expected to be unveiled in the next fortnight.
That plan is likely to confirm their commitment to the southwest region, an area that has been hanging for some love and attention.
Yet Campbelltown Stadium isn’t the solution either. Like Leichhardt Oval, it needs major investment and without it, the Tigers need to find a home that reflects the fact they are a professional sporting team.

Chief executive Shane Richardson was architect of South Sydney’s move to Accor Stadium, inking a deal which gave them the financial muscle to match the cashed-up clubs.
Vacuous Accor Stadium isn’t the answer for the Tigers. Allianz Stadium needs more games but it is too far from the club’s heartland.
CommBank Stadium is more realistic. Parramatta’s revenues soared when they returned to the ground and the Tigers have previously had a relationship with the venue, although they have gravitated back to their spiritual homes in recent years.

Those days are surely numbered. The club’s new hierarchy will no doubt review their home grounds in coming months and determine a way forward.
It shouldn’t include Leichhardt Oval. At best, the ground should host one game a year. It’s day has come and long gone.
He's a numbskull but I agree.

What an fwit.

'Leichhardt restricts the club’s ability to sell memberships and corporate boxes.'
Crudola - the inability of the team to win a game is what limits memberships.

"the blue bloods in the archaic stands are forced to endure primitive conditions despite paying top dollar'.
Since when is the only concern what some rich farts want?

'Their record there in recent seasons has been abysmal.'
Our record has been abysmal everywhere.

'CommBank Stadium is more realistic.'
A place that we have no association with? Please. I'd rather go to Campbelltown than there. (I almost spewed in my own mouth writing that.)

Time to crawl back into my hole. I've been trying to avoid writing because I'm so disillusioned by how I thinkt he season will pan out.
Once again - I hope I'm wrong.

Old is new.
Must be limited on Wests Tigers gossip this week
They rehash these articles every year.

Reality is LO and CS aren’t modern day stadiums and need a significant upgrade & on field results to change to maximize revenue options.

It’s easier for teams to get funding for 1 ground not 3 if you include concord facility as well.

We don’t help ourselves in these type of situations compared to others.

What an fwit.

'Leichhardt restricts the club’s ability to sell memberships and corporate boxes.'

"the blue bloods in the archaic stands are forced to endure primitive conditions despite paying top dollar'.

A place that we have no association with? Please. I'd rather go to Campbelltown than there. (I almost spewed in my own mouth writing that.)

Time to crawl back into my hole. I've been trying to avoid writing because I'm so disillusioned by how I thinkt he season will pan out.
The State Gov. are to blame for a lot of this.
Penrith have a stadium that SEATS around 20,000. So the Gov says knock it down and we build one that holds 25,000 bums on seats. COST, around $350 million. Not a problem!
Build a stadium at Liverpool, no way, can't afford it. Upgrade Campbelltown. Can't afford it.
NOT ENOUGH VOTES! It's a big BS joke.

What an fwit.

You trying to deflect attention from Richie onto yiu with that 2nd last par?
Way to go 💪

View attachment 11046

He doesn’t get Leichhardt and Parramatta Stadium is not the answer.

Lots of good memories for me at LO, from the 77 Amco Cup to my sons time at balmain jrl, over a decade... Playing there occasionally and with his mate who's uncle Barry worked the scoreboard and another mate ball boys for BRET
We used to rock up there Wed nights when I was in high school for the mid week games, my dad and stepmum often at Balmain Leagues despite being magpies... We lived not far from there
I remember as a kid it was THE ground, most modern with the lights, concrete paths and bucket seats and the big concrete Latchem Robinson stand
Many good memories
Forever is a long time

Lots of good memories for me at LO, from the 77 Amco Cup to my sons time at balmain jrl, over a decade... Playing there occasionally and with his mate who's uncle Barry worked the scoreboard and another mate ball boys for BRET
We used to rock up there Wed nights when I was in high school for the mid week games, my dad and stepmum often at Balmain Leagues despite being magpies... We lived not far from there
I remember as a kid it was THE ground, most modern with the lights, concrete paths and bucket seats and the big concrete Latchem Robinson stand
Many good memories
Forever is a long time
I was there with you Ink. I lived just down the road in James St and went to most AMCO cup games ( usually trying to get a root )

Latest posts

Back