Wests Tigers Refereeing

senexx

I have grabbed some statistics of the performance of the referees for the Wests Tigers. I have not included referees that are no longer refereeing.

In the following screenshot, I have only included referees that are refereeing up to and including the current 2009 season. The stats are sourced from rleague.

Please forgive the division by zero.

![](http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9800/successh.jpg)

In the following screenshot, you will see the referees penalties for and against us and even an anomaly of 1/2 a penalty but that is explained in the chart

![](http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1614/penalties.jpg)

Just to be clear, a ration of over 1.00 is good for us, a ratio of 1.00 means the penalties were 50/50

Now that we have some data and discover the penalties against us aren't all that bad, who would we rather have as a referee?

What does all this tell us???

Penalties normally run in our favour…the bounce of the ball and luck in games doesn't....!

Our stats under Archer are pretty poor - only 1 win in 3 - it would be interesting to see the games in which he refereed us - you would think over a high number i.e. 32 games with an unbiased referee you would come out around 50% win ratio

These stats don't tell you where on the field they were given, how late in the game they were given (i.e as a square up) and nor do they tell us about the penalties that should have been given.

They especially don't tell us why we couldn't get a penalty in the 2nd half in each of the recent games against Manly, the sharks or the eels!

@Birchgrove bill said:
These stats don't tell you where on the field they were given, how late in the game they were given (i.e as a square up)

True enough, I thought about that as I was working on these but there really isn't a way to quantify that.

yeah…interesting but you can win a penalty count by a fair margin and still have a ref cost you the game. Some ref calls e.g. the forward pass on Friday night can have a real bearing on the result. Likewise a lack of penalties e.g. deliberate slow down the play the ball tactics from opposing sides not being penalised. Meh......I can't stand any of em anymore to be honest the standard has dropped a lot and yet every week poor decisions are justified by Finch and co. the sooner they do something to attract more quality refs the better.

can we include dud forward pass calls in that list? and also when a try comes back as "ref's call" where we almost always get shafted. robinson has called 4 "refs call" against us when we have been attacking.

Tony Archer always kills us. a team can get 3 or 4 important penalties in a game that have a direct affect on the result when the opposition get 7 or 8 that mean nothing, like on 1st tackle 10m out for markers not square. a penalty like that means nothing only on 1st. or a team kicking out on the full off a restart, or a blatant high tackle or lifting tackle.
the penalties which we need are the ones where players get caught out off side and archer that blind son of a * * * * * lets it go. they are the ones that we get ripped on.

@senex said:
I thought this thread would have got a lot more commentary.

Would need more in-depth stats imo.

How about a count of how many times Robbie didn't get a penalty for his runs from dummy half? :laughing:

OK…...they saved it all up for Rd 26 where we finally got a fair go..Whoo Hooooooo

Ref's hate Wests....it goes back to Lawler permiated in Hartley and is now in bred into all refs' down to the Under 6's

How's that.....

@Birchgrove bill said:
These stats don't tell you where on the field they were given, how late in the game they were given (i.e as a square up) and nor do they tell us about the penalties that should have been given.

They especially don't tell us why we couldn't get a penalty in the 2nd half in each of the recent games against Manly, the sharks or the eels!

yeah or why we always get our penaltys on tackles one and two, and the opp. on fourth and fifth

Id like to know what Manly's record is.

No surprises there with Archer though, a bit surprised we are so close with Hayne, it seems to me the new refs favour us more… Maybe the new generation will be kinder!!!!

Goog work with all those stats…..confirms my thoughts how much of a cheating grub Tony Archer is ....he deadset referees against us...those stats are daming

Penalties aren't the biggest problem… the problem with th refs I have is that everytime there is a call to be made that is close to 50/50 it nearly always goes against us...

I'm thinking of when Canberra beat us because thay were offside by 5-8m when we were going for field goal...

More recently the Parra game all the line ball or close to forward passes were allowed for Parra & every single one pulled up against us... thats the type of thing that annoys me...

Yep,what really matters is where the penalty is given. In the Old Bluebag days that certainly applied, as did 'squaring up' with penalties say 12 nil in Manlys' favour with 10 minutes to go and the score 20-5 their way. Then, surprise! surprise! a flood of penalties went the Bluebags way, and the penalties ended up 12-8\. I think that things have changed a bit for the better, though not that much. This next comment will probably mean that I don't get posted and I understand completely, but doesn't anybody else but me worry when you read about people betting $40,000 on a football match as was reported recently?

i just seen a replay of the field goal nathan merrit kicked against us and it shows 2 tigers players get totally cleaned up while attempting to run through and charge down the kick.

Just to promote some discussion.

What would you say if I said Tony De La Heras is the best referee? (in the comp, not specifically for us)

Not much to say except…........ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Latest posts

Back