Wing quits NRL for rugby

Craegus

**Craig Wing has quit South Sydney to pursue a rugby career in Japan**
>
By Dean Ritchie
July 21, 2009
>
Craig Wing has quit the NRL to play Japanese rugby union.
>
The South Sydney star has had money disputes with the Rabbitohs over third party agreements.
>
There were also suggestions Wing was sounded by the Sydney Roosters - his former club - and Parramatta.
>
But Wing has decided to leave rugby league for Japanese rugby union - details of his club will be announced this afternoon.
>
Cronulla's Fraser Anderson quit the NRL earlier this year to sign with Japanese rugby union.

South Sydney Rabbitohs
>
Article from:
The Daily Telegraph
>
Souths star Craig Wing quits NRL to play rugby union in Japan
>
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie | July 21, 2009 02:10pm
>
CRAIG Wing has quit the NRL to play rugby union in Japan.
>
The South Sydney star has had money disputes with the Rabbitohs over third party agreements.
>
There were also suggestions Wing was sounded by the Sydney Roosters - his former club - and Parramatta.
>
But Wing has decided to leave rugby league for Japanese rugby union - with Souths agreeing to release him from the final two years of his contract.
>
**He will see out the rest of this season with the Rabbitohs.**
Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said the club's board had agreed to the request on compassionate grounds.
>
"Craig's personal issues have been well documented over recent months,'' Richardson said, referring to Wing's reported recent financial troubles.
\
\
"The contract with Japanese Rugby will go a long way to helping his personal situation and we respect that and wish him well in his further football career.
\
\
"It has always been our desire to have Craig see out his contract with our club but after careful consideration over the past fortnight, the board and management of the club understand that it was in Craig's best interests that he be granted a release.
\
\
"We certainly wish Craig all the very best in his transition to rugby union in Japan from 2010.''
\
\
Wing will leave the NRL having played more than 250 NRL games, 13 Tests for Australia and 12 State of Origin games for NSW, including two in the Blues' series loss this year.
\
\
"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time back at the Rabbitohs and I am sad to be leaving both South Sydney and the NRL,'' Wing said today.
\
\
"I truly appreciate the club granting me this special release and I want to thank Souths for agreeing to my request so that I can move on with my personal life off the field.
\
\
"The members, sponsors, coaches, my team mates and the board have all been very supportive over the past two years and I thank them for that.
\
\
"I started my NRL career here in the red and green and it is fitting that I finish it in this great jersey.
\
\
"I am looking forward to finishing the season off strongly and I will be doing my best to ensure we make the finals.''
>
Cronulla's Fraser Anderson quit the NRL earlier this year to sign with Japanese rugby union.

End of the year

I think its a real shame to see him go.

He has done the game of rugby league so proud.

Best wishes to him for the future.

Good luck to him. Money is obviously the driving force and this will more than likely be his last high paying contract. A loss for league but there will always be others looking to do the same.

A very good player that I will miss. He will be worshipped like a God over there.

Craig Wing dumps South Sydney for Japan to cover investment losses

By Dean Ritchie and Andrew Webster
July 22, 2009

Floundering under investment losses of up to $1.5 million, Craig Wing cast aside his South Sydney homecoming for a deal with a second-division Japanese rugby union club where he will collect nearly $60,000 a game.

Wing signed a two-year deal with Tokyo-based NTT Communications worth $1.4 million to play in a second-tier competition described as the equal of Sydney club rugby's Shute Shield.

Now, the Rabbitohs - who allowed Wing out of the final year of his deal in 2010 - have the money to make a bid for Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt.

The Japanese Top Challenge Two competition - second division - runs over six months but teams play just 12 matches, with star imports often being rested.

Wing's position of financial strength has unravelled in the past few years because of a string of investments gone sour. During his final months at the Roosters, he is believed to have lost $600,000 on a golf resort in Vanuatu.

His third-party agreement - worth $100,000 a year - with Souths sponsor John McGrath Real Estate fell through when he failed to show up to work four hours a week.

And in a further blow, a string of investments on the advice of former flatmate and Double Bay real estate agent Rodney Prestia have cost him significant amounts.

Wing's decision to take the telephone-number figures in Japan might stop the NRL losing Hunt, another Origin star.

Souths insiders said the money saved under the salary cap with Wing's hasty departure - believed to be $500,000 - will allow them to piece together an ambitious play for Hunt. Hunt has previously been linked to Suntory.

The deal was only sealed in the past three days, with Wing's manager, Wayne Beavis, organising a hastily arranged meeting with Souths chief executive Shane Richardson on Monday.

Wing, 29, will play alongside former Wallabies star Mark Gerrard at NTT. It is understood he approached the Souths board for a release two weeks ago on compassionate grounds.

"Craig's personal issues have been well documented over recent months," said Richardson.

"The contract … will go a long way to helping his personal situation and we respect that and wish him well in his further football career.

"It has always been our desire to have Craig see out his contract with our club, but after careful consideration over the past fortnight, the board and management ... understand that it was in Craig's best interests that he be granted a release."

Wing said remaining committed and motivated in rugby league was becoming increasingly difficult.

"I have ticked all the boxes," said Wing.

"This is an incredible opportunity for me. After almost 11 years playing professional rugby league, I feel that I have done everything that any player could wish for in Australia.

"At this stage in my career I am eager to travel and see the world and taste the experience of playing professional sport in another country with a different culture. I am sure there will be some lonely times and some tough times but I will be a better person for it."

@willow said:
The Japanese Top Challenge Two competition - second division - runs over six months but teams play just 12 matches, with star imports often being rested.

Often rested? How often?

8-9 games in six months wouldn't keep you very match fit but I guess they're all in the same boat, glad I don't watch it.

@delphi17 said:
weilder said Thurston could be joining him

yep i saw that on the footy show last night.

he said thurston has been offered around AU $1,000,000 per year to play rugby in japan.

thats probably around double to what he is earning now

Back