Winning ugly a big step in development of the side

Goose

Reflecting on yesterdays win has me hoping this a step towards being a top side.

Manly, Melbourne and Doggies always seem to win 3 or 4 games like this every year. That makes an enormous difference at semi final time

Winning Games where it is not working and the game is off, yet, some how still walk away with the 2 points is an important sign of a top side. You cant be at your best for 26 rounds, you have to win when you are not from time to time as well.

We were well below our best in so many areas, plus missing our best player, one of our most potent attacking weapons, amongst a few others, yet hung in there all game and when it came to the last few minutes, put together a very composed set and clinical finish to take the lead.

Hopefully this is the first of many games where we manage to do this….

Exactly. We would not have won that game in previous years. The self belief is finally there.

@Goose said:
Reflecting on yesterdays win has me hoping this a step towards being a top side.

Manly, Melbourne and Doggies always seem to win 3 or 4 games like this every year. That makes an enormous difference at semi final time

Winning Games where it is not working and the game is off, yet, some how still walk away with the 2 points is an important sign of a top side. You cant be at your best for 26 rounds, you have to win when you are not from time to time as well.

We were well below our best in so many areas, plus missing our best player, one of our most potent attacking weapons, amongst a few others, yet hung in there all game and when it came to the last few minutes, put together a very composed set and clinical finish to take the lead.

Hopefully this is the first of many games where we manage to do this….

Yeah great post Goose.
Shows signs of mental toughness and belief, hangin in.
No more tossing the towel in early.
Love it.
I love the response in the 2nd half after Potters words, granted it was 2 intercepts that boosted the scoreboard, but the improvement was significant and tells me Potter has this group in the palm of his hand….looks good for the future

The team won a huge amount of close games in 2010 or 2011\. They won ugly so often, but more through sheer skill or a flukey try then hard graft or organised thinking.

Agree you have to be on the right side of the ledger in the close ones. However it would be unfair to say the team would have always lost these games in previous years as in 2010 and 11 we won the most games between 1-12 points. Even in 2012 and 2013 we won some close ones. Last year 5 of our wins were in the 5-10 minutes of games.

I think it is more competing and playing consistently for 80 minutes. That is the difference i see in this side to previous sides. Their willingness to work for each other and to a game plan for longer periods.

I agree with Eddie regarding 2010 and 2011.

However, the big difference between yesterday and the games in those years is that we stayed in the game on the back of gutsy forwards. Our game was off, but our forward pack still dominated. It wasn't a matter of making metres by spreading the ball wide on the 2nd and 3rd tackles or by 80 metre tries against the run of play. I recognise 2 tries were intercepts against the run of play, but we nonetheless had a lot of territory that was well earnred but which we could not compete.

I think that is a significant difference. I am confident this team will hang tough and keep pumelling the ball forward even when the chips are down. We did not do that in 2010 or 2011.

Big differences this year:
1\. Our forwards take the ball up and make metres.
2\. We are in the game for 80 minutes. No cringing from the 35th minute until the 50th minute, and then the last 10 mins (often our downfall in the last 2 years).
3\. No Benji madness. Safe options when needed yesterday (although I think Anasta had other ideas).
A big win against an in form team

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

Back