With the talent in lower grades do we need anyone else?

everett

Given BRET and Western Suburbs in the Top 4 and Wests Tigers Under 20's leading the comp, Do we really need to buy any big name players for next year?

Maybe we should upgrade contracts of Dwyer, Fafita, Moors, Meaney, Mullaney, Davis, Murdoch to keep them at our club for years to come. Players like Payten and Fitzhenry will be retiring or moving to Superannuation League?

Maybe if we had some money left over a prop like one of the Mannah brothers or Kade Snowden would add to our current list.

I know our lower grades are going well, but do we really have the depth?

We don't seem to have any props coming through other than Al Shirnack and whilst he is solid enough he hasn't set the world on fire. I hear about Davis and Akuripa and Pritchard but if they are as good as everyone indicates then why haven't they been given a go.

Didn't Folksey say in pre-season that Pritchard impressed him greatly and was setting the pace? So why don't these guys get a go? And, if they think they are first grade material then why don't they move on?

Nothing excites me more in a game then waiting for the bloke on debut to come off the bench (and aggrivates me more than having to wait 76 minutes to see it)! These guys have been around for a while now, but blokes like Moors, Brown, Fitzy, Daniella and Flanagan get the available spots. Sure, some of these guys have come along since they first got here (especially Moors) but we have two state cup teams - we pay double what everyone else does and yet they aren't given a go.

I don't get it!

its obvious sheens values experience over talent…. but its worked so far hasnt it.... look where we are on the table

One more mature Prop is all I can think of. The boys in 20's need time to mature into that role. Andrew Fafita is unique, or should I say Freak?

Nah…I was listening...I heard 1 Marquee or rep standard player...

2009...Ellis....tick
2010...Lortay...tick
2011...????????

To not be active in the player market and rely on lower grades is a recipe for failure… The reason our lower grades have been going so well is unlike other clubs our prems n 20's have close to the same side each week wit only 1 or at most 2 players bein drafted in and out from 1st grade. This has allowed the lower grade teams to be a tight unit with no big heads and no each others games... Im not saying that we have to buy a whole team but we cant just rely on the younger players coming through as rserve grade form doesnt always mean success in first grade.

I think the extra room in the cap should be spent on bumping up the contracts of Lawrence, Fifita and Dwyer.

What gun props are on the market at the moment? That's one area where the Tigers could be stronger. There's plenty of depth in the backrow, 5/8 is covered, as is halfback, centre, wing and now fullback with McKinnon here and Mullaney waiting in the wings.

@willow said:
What gun props are on the market at the moment? That's one area where the Tigers could be stronger. There's plenty of depth in the backrow, 5/8 is covered, as is halfback, centre, wing and now fullback with McKinnon here and Mullaney waiting in the wings.

Kade Snowden and Ben Cross are the only 2 that come to mind that would be classed as 'Guns'…

Ben Cross is a bit over the hill and injury prone …

Some of the Storm players may be looking elsewhere, even if their contract isn't officially expired. They've already let go Tolman and Tandy, maybe someone like Kevin Proctor (sideshow bob lookalike) could be a handy yet relatively cheap pick up as opposed to Jeff Lima who might cost a bit more.

@Tiger Watto said:
@willow said:

Kade Snowden and Ben Cross are the only 2 that come to mind that would be classed as 'Guns'…

In that case Snowden would be a handy addition. What are the odds of him being on the Tigers shopping list though?

Posted last month on LU
\
\
Lima (Not off contract but free to go)
Tolman - Dogs
Puletua
Cayless
Petero -Resigned??
Perry
Pritchard
Sims
Clinton - ESL??