My BENJI 2024 Expectations!

Early in games I get it, the theory is complete high and win the arm wrestle then when you’re on top, and the other team gets tired the game will open up. Problem is when the other team has the same plan and they get on top early, there’s no plan B. We simply don’t have the class players to play a Broncos style of expansive footy. Reece Walsh, Mamm and Cobbo are just freakish athletes who make stuff happen. Our backs are either really young or just plain (maybe) middling first graders at best.

Luai and Turuva can’t come soon enough.
I agree but if your going to get beat anyway why not throw it around and take a chance.

I agree but if your going to get beat anyway why not throw it around and take a chance.
They did that at the end against Brisbane and Staines jagged a couple of fluky tries. Problem is all the errors lead to the opposition scoring too. That’s how coaches get sacked because you end up conceding 40-50.

Benji is on record saying he wants to fix up the defense this year and on stats alone that’s working.

The attack is a bigger task.

Last edited:
Every player we have recruited imo has gone backwards when he comes here

I've heard it occasionally in the media,. Sometimes it's a vindictive nature (Anasta, Akoula going to Penrith, Leilua,. Wade. Mackinnin, Woods.... But also guys like Tuquiri have mentioned how things aren't quite as good here compared to where he went moving on.

Coaching staff should try an anonymous feedback session with the players asking why they think things aren't as good here as where they were previously... All the coaches as well could but in too.... Farah/south's, Morris knights sharks.... Heighno sharks... Benji Souths.

So things very very different to all these other clubs... We have a lot of ex Panthers a club extremely succesful.
Is it the actual training, the methods used/ game plans etc... Is it admin and management?
Is it the atmosphere and culture... Things would've been. Very different from Madge era to Benjis... It could be a bit or a lot of all... Many more aspects to query about.
I know some of the players don't have a lot between the ears... Could be too much for them.
Yiu never know might find some sort of common denominator??

They did that at the end against Brisbane and Staines jagged a couple of fluky tries. Problem is all the errors lead to the opposition scoring too. That’s how coaches get sacked because you end up conceding 40-50.

Benji is on record saying he wants to fix up the defense this year and on stats alone that’s working.

I'd love to know when they will start to work on the attack.
Continuing on this track were on this season for the whole year seems pointless.
Even if the seasons gone we would use the back end of this year in real game situations to work to improve the attaxk
Bloody hell all the other teams are doing this week in week out since last Xmas.
Is mind numbingly boring some of the 'attack' we play... It's been described on here ad nauseam by many.. we pass the ball.just for the sake of it. We ask no questions of the opposition... Support play is abysmal etc etc etc
12- 16.points is our limit
Two possibly three tries per game
Just the way we make it so easy for the opposition... It's extremely embarrassing and I can only imagine what's going thru our players minds if they think.back to teams the used to play in.

Some things serious wrong it just continues year in year out.
This is when I get a bit conspiratorial when I can't find logical. Answers to questions that have plagues us for years despite massive staff turnovers.
My support for this team - if you could call it that is near exhausted. They'll always be my team while they exist but caring any more if that occurs or not doesn't really register

I find myself preferring
to watch teams like Easts Melbourne Penrith even the Dolphins who play an attractive brand of footy-fast exciting and end to end stuff

Continuing on this track were on this season for the whole year seems pointless.
Even if the seasons gone we would use the back end of this year in real game situations to work to improve the attaxk
Bloody hell all the other teams are doing this week in week out since last Xmas.
Is mind numbingly boring some of the 'attack' we play... It's been described on here ad nauseam by many.. we pass the ball.just for the sake of it. We ask no questions of the opposition... Support play is abysmal etc etc etc
Just the way we make it so easy for the opposition... It's extremely embarrassing and I can only imagine what's going thru our players minds if they think.back to teams the used to play in.

This is when I get a bit conspiratorial when I can't find logical. Answers to questions that have plagues us for years despite massive staff turnovers.
My support for this team - if you could call it that is near exhausted. They'll always be my team while they exist but caring any more if that occurs or not doesn't really register

I find myself preferring
to watch teams like Easts Melbourne Penrith even the Dolphins who play an attractive brand of footy-fast exciting and end to end stuff

Its really sad to see you use some of them words. I know what you mean wrt to attack.

I feel we've been trying to buck the trend of playing structured footy for a while now and it hasn't really worked out for us.

It's a strange game now. Its so fast. Penalties are so consequential. You need structure, as a player you need to know exactly what you are supposed to be doing in any given situation. You can't do too much ad-hoc eyes up footy anymore because this game is so determined by how many mistakes you're making. We haven't got the quality to absorb the amount of penalties we give away. so we shouldn't be trying to just probe around and see what happens.

Has the attitude really been better though? We’ve had weeks where we have shown some real heart, but we’ve always had patches of games over the years where we have really had a go. We’ve still had some real stinkers against the Dragons and Broncos and Raiders.
I see what you mean here. I believe our worst performance was against Canberra. Coming from a bye, we looked very flat and disorganised. Had that level of performance been the standard, I would be very worried.

But in the other two I feel we competed however at this stage we don’t have the strike weapons when we have a poor decisions (Api’s no try against the Broncos changed the game) gi against us. Similar to the Dogs game as well. As someone else has said, in previous years we have been lapped and I just feel there is better standards in our game.

If we move the ball we can score tries.How many times have you said to yourself one more pass and where through
We are moving the ball. We just aren’t running into holes. The Galvin short pass to Samuela is not fooling anyone. We have been standing back playing hot potato, that is until the last 2 games where we’ve had some shape and structure which created space for our wingers. Our defence shows urgency in open play and has improved, but we’re still not as good when locking up the ball carrier in the middle.

Its really sad to see you use some of them words. I know what you mean wrt to attack.

I feel we've been trying to buck the trend of playing structured footy for a while now and it hasn't really worked out for us.

It's a strange game now. Its so fast. Penalties are so consequential. You need structure, as a player you need to know exactly what you are supposed to be doing in any given situation. You can't do too much ad-hoc eyes up footy anymore because this game is so determined by how many mistakes you're making. We haven't got the quality to absorb the amount of penalties we give away. so we shouldn't be trying to just probe around and see what happens.
I watched an 80's grand final game recently. The fullback from Canberra dropped the ball at least twice.

The level of professionalism now is incredible.
Players like Chris Sandow, heck even Benji himself would really really struggle to make it.

It's not what you can do. but what you can do without stuffing up.

Just need to get the monkey of our backs again , with the 2 wins we really needed to get that 3 straight wins on board to really give believe , I still feel we are a few players off yet but the 2 panthers coming will def help , probably need another 2 to 3 more , .
will we get 6 more wins Im not sure maybe 4 , but we need to beat the knights well to get going again , it is in this lot with the sharks and Parra wins both better than us , major concern for Benji is our reserve grade squad , it’s rubbish and he better be chasing about 6 players for that side

Is it working? At the same point last year we were only 8 points better off. Given this year we arguably have started from a better base is 1 point a game defensive improvement enough to suggest the defence is improving?

At least we got a new team song. And the players can hold it front of them with no memorisation required. Thats not bad I guess. I mean they dont get a lot of practise anyway.

We’re not winning 6 more games. 4 tops. Benji’s job is safe for this year, and probably for next. My concern is if in ’26 it’s clear he’s not cutting it, how do the playing group react if he gets the tap on the shoulder. Because the players love him, and the players he’s signing are coming here predominantly to play under him.
Should the players ‘love him’ or respect him.
I get Trent Barrett vibes not in a personality sense but in a status sense where the age, authority lines are blurred between coach and mate

I find myself preferring
The modern state of play in the NRL seems to have surpassed the Wests Tigers. I can’t understand why a myriad of people can’t turn us into a competitive football team, even for just one season, despite the many attempts to do so. It’s beyond all reasonable understanding and it’s beyond my ability to care anymore.

At least we got a new team song. And the players can hold it front of them with no memorisation required. Thats not bad I guess. I mean they dont get a lot of practise anyway.
Next time we win, the sheets will come out again.
Theres no way any of them remember the words.

I liken this team to the Broncos of a couple of years ago. Had a stack of talent in the side but ended up finishing last. It wasn't until they added guys like Reynolds, Capewell & Walsh where they really started to see results & actually turned in to a winning side. Not saying we have that level of talent but ultimately these sorts of things don't happen overnight & we are 5 months into a rebuild that needs at least 3 years before we can see results. One thing is clear that the players are buying into what Benji's doing which is the most important thing.

I liken this team to the Broncos of a couple of years ago. Had a stack of talent in the side but ended up finishing last. It wasn't until they added guys like Reynolds, Capewell & Walsh where they really started to see results & actually turned in to a winning side. Not saying we have that level of talent but ultimately these sorts of things don't happen overnight & we are 5 months into a rebuild that needs at least 3 years before we can see results. One thing is clear that the players are buying into what Benji's doing which is the most important thing.
great post. there's a lot of parallels to Brisbane in 2021. club legend as coach trying to instill some pride in the jersey, a nucleus of really strong young talent, and some decent players on the way. probably some big calls to make in regards to the roster and ensuring we recruit in the right fashion, but also pushing the young talent through.

I think Marshall will manage that quite well. he's already shown he's willing to blood youngsters if he thinks they're ready, and he's signed a franchise halfback and made a brilliant acquisition in Turuva. next year is gonna be fun.

The Broncos turned their fortunes around within about 18 months, we’ve been trying to do that for over a decade. There is no comparison, we are a world away from clubs like the Broncos.

The Broncos turned their fortunes around within about 18 months, we’ve been trying to do that for over a decade. There is no comparison, we are a world away from clubs like the Broncos.
Broncos hadn't been run like shit for 10 years previously & like I said in my post they had a stack more talent already than we currently do.

After 9 rounds and 9 games in 2022 we had let in 196 points @ 21.8/game
Afetr 9 rounds and 8 games in 2023 we had let in 190 points @ 23.75/game
After 9 rounds and 8 games in 2024 we have let in 182 points @ 22.75/game.

Their efforts to improve the defence have resulted in the most marginal of gains. We sit mid pack at 9th. At this rate, theyll have it fixed in time for Galvins 21st. Then we can work on attack and get that firing by his 25th...

Back