Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Devil's advocate for this deal, he was resigned prior to us getting in Klemmer and Bateman and on current form Joe has gone from leader of the pack to performing worse than Stefano, Twal and Pole whilst being paid alot more than them.

Not arguing with you with alot of what you have written, just hoping that Fulton's influence is a catalyst for improvement.
It’ll certainly be a catalyst for movement !

Feel this all happened very quickly.

I agree freeing up his money is a good thing, but we need his experience and off field value at least for the rest of this year.

Just not a fan of mid-season releases with nothing in return.
We are getting something in return, it is extra money about $400.00 for the rest of this year, and a further $1.2 ml for 2024 & 2045.
Total saving $1.6 ml.

Going by figures I have seen on WTF.

The only downside I see is it weakens the depth of our squad. We have really struggled with injuries over the last few years. We're only two injuries away from starting reserve graders. Joe O is a good guy to have if two of Stefano, Klemmer, Twal, and Pole were to go down. Now my memory isn't perfect but I feel like that exact situation happened last year and is how Austin Dias and Thomas Freebairn were getting a run.
You do realise reserve grade, Is reserve grade so they can play in the next grade up if they need a RESERVE.

AND ALSO TO GAIN THE EXPERIENCE IN THE HIGHER GRADE.
OR THATS WHAT BEING A RESERVE USED TO BE.

I agree but we still fall out of games during important periods.
We can get downfield and Brooks’s general kicking is a factor in this however we can’t seal the deal.
I will say, our attack has regressed this year despite all the pre season bluster.
I agree that our attack has regressed but I think it has regressed for good reason. I have no doubt that Sheens and Co expected much much more from Brooks and AD than they were capable of delivering behind a much improved pack.

We tried to play an expansive game with a poor halves combination and a team with little game time together and we were punished for it. I think we can all agree that the attack was stripped right back to basics after the bye. The bye was probably a good circuit breaker to enable this to happen.

I'm not thrilled by the coaching so far; however, I do believe they now understand the problem and have stripped it right back to build from a solid foundation. We are playing a style that can be repeated consistently. Despite not scoring enough points, it is a step in the right direction.

We can continue to build combinations with the players we know will be the backbone of 2024 and start to put the polish on the basics that are now in place. It is not too far from where we are to be able to run X/Y and block plays at opposition weaknesses. It is the XY/Block combinations that we can work while still having average halves.

Throw more experience at Bula around the ruck, get ICE and Bateman running plays in and around Toa and Naden to punch the line or bring about second phase play and we can trouble most sides.

Find a competent half or 5/8 in the back half of the season as well and things will look much better.

I'm not happy with where we are, but I think the rose coloured glasses of our coaching staff have been shattered and they are now working with reality. I trust we will see a week by week improvement in our attack as we build from what is now a pretty solid, but not inspiring, base.

Actually, his best footy was when he finally moved to prop late in the year. He played well all year, but was clearly a front row type middle being used as a 13, and that proved correct when he went even better once moved to the front row. He is fine at lock of you want a 3rd front rower.
Totally agree @ 113kg a slow lock. Better suited to front row.

Devil's advocate for this deal, he was resigned prior to us getting in Klemmer and Bateman and on current form Joe has gone from leader of the pack to performing worse than Stefano, Twal and Pole whilst being paid alot more than them.

Not arguing with you with alot of what you have written, just hoping that Fulton's influence is a catalyst for improvement.

Yeah fair call Joe O's form hasnt been up to standard and he had a low bar set last year, but still the deal they are trying to rescue was obviously another dud deal to begin with. Until we sort out our front office we will continue to be a joke, i like you hope Fulton can start to make some changes and better decisions with recruitment maybe this is one of those and history will be the judge of that.

Reactions: 851
My issue with offloading Joffa is why are we doing Parramatta favours when they've been screwing us for a decade? & why not try & get a player in return? He was also great for culture & a lot of the islander boys looked up to him.
No, Parra have just done us a favour, we will have extra cash to purchase a player worth having maybe a good centre or half.

After signing klemmer I thought either Joe or twal was going to be shown the door, there is only so many big minute workhorse forwards a roster needs

If I'm being honest I thought it would be Twal but this year he's added alot of impact that i didn't think he could do where joe still seems to play like he's going to be staying on the field for 60 minutes

Please Sheenius
The plan release Hastings/madden - fail , no backup until desperate Canterbury castoff picked up
The plan was Ciraldo - fail, no back up
The plan was Moses - fail, no back up
The plan release joe - ??? See Hastings above
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it?

Hope Fulton has hit the ground running and that I am pleasantly surprised with what comes next.

So we released Joffa and freed up cash and kept Seyfarth. I remember this discussion before.
Not worth the cash for a bench player I believe was stated. A few agreed and many didn't but it looks like the few win on this occasion.

I won't be holding my breathe for us to sign a player from another club equal to or better than Joff. If clearing space in the top 30 take a leaf out of Gus' book and "move on" two fringe players as he did a couple of weeks ago.

Happy to eat my words if we get an established first grade half or outside back in for the remainder of the year though... expect Atasi James to be promoted.
I agree, there is no way James should be promoted to the top 30 in a hurry, or at all for that matter.

He can play in the top grade now if we need him and he needs to prove himself there before being upgraded and take up a top 30 position.

Hope we learnt something from the dud Doueihi contract extension that didn't need to be done when it was.

Fonua Pole is ill, so WT have asked Joe to play one more game. 😂😂😂😂😂 wasn't everyone saying
"We've got plenty of middles who are better"
One gets the flu and you ask the guy you just agreed you don't need, to stay 1 more week. Yeah, I trust these guys with our Cap. 😂😂
You couldn't script this... I can picture them sitting around the coaching table and panicking when they realise they are literally 1 injury from having to play seyfarth for the rest of the year. The panicked call to Jofa would have been something to behold. Amateur stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Back