Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

You make some valid points, and I agree with 50% of your theory. But, were consistently releasing players for a rainy day, and were in a Semi Final drought. We were told that we would be playing an attacking brand of football, yet the Coach's didn't realise that the 6 and 7 they chose to move forward with, were incapable of delivering this plan. We have scored the LEAST amount of points in the NRL in 2023. Do you have faith in their ability to recruit the right players, we have looked inept for the majority of this year.
I mean, sure - it's hard to disagree with that. On the other hand, some of this comes back to the same issue: you can only sign what's there. We went hard after the only game-changing half who was plausibly on the market for 2024 and if you want to put a positive spin on it we made him think very seriously about our offer - and made his current club up theirs - even though we were never favourites to get him. I find the crappiness of our halves intensely frustrating but we can't magic Jonathan Thurston out of thin air. I'm not particularly enthused by Shaun Johnson, Mitchell Pearce, Joel Schuster or any of these names - but those are the ones that might be available. It's a huge problem but I'm not sure I'm ready to blame the current setup at the club for not fixing it.

On the other hand, the recruitment we have done has largely been pretty good. I've never liked the Bateman signing but Klemmer and Koroisau are delivering pretty much exactly what we hoped for, and Papali'i is showing good signs.

I think a lot of this is beside the point, though. Even if our recruitment was universally dreadful it wouldn't mean letting the Ofahengaue contract go would be a bad move. It's not a sensible position to say that doing a reasonable thing to save money is a bad idea because "we'll only waste it anyway". Am I confident the Tigers are going to find a brilliant way to use 600k for the next two seasons? Absolutely not. Am I confident that spending 600k on Joe Ofehangaue for the next two seasons isn't a brilliant way to use money? Almost certainly.

This is how I see this playing out , our gun forwards are going to look at this and say to themselves, we are going to have carry this team even more if the. Club keeps letting go of 1st grade quality, joffa may not be a gun forward to some but he is way ahead of what we can bring up from the useless nsw cup team , so unless the club have a player to bring in to show the gun players yes we are going to strengthen the team rather than make u blokes work harder I can see this blowing up in there faces

should have waited until they had a replacement lined up even if that meant the off season..
But the offer wasn't for the off season - it was for now. Parramatta are desperate to shore up their bench forwards NOW because they fall apart when RCG and Paulo are off the field and they still think they can win a premiership. That's why they are willing to overpay for Ofehangaue - but it only applies now; in the off season they could find plenty of options to play bench middle.

If the Tigers have decided the Ofehangaue contract was a mistake it makes sense to unload it when there's an offer on the table. This might be different if we were battling for the finals or the minor premiership, in which case of course it would be foolish to weaken the roster even if it's for long-term gain. But you've seen the ladder, I assume.

I don't, but if the alternatives are so impressive, why can't they replace him this week?
This reeks of 2022. Only a poorly run Club doesn't spend to it's Cap. We have a shit squad, but don't spend what were actually able to. To me, that's forfeiting. I know this because Sheens said we are "way under" the Cap for 2023 at the 10yr Member function at the COE.
I reckon your arguments here have merit and a large part of me agrees with you, however, I'm still waiting to hear how you'd spend it.

Given the current market, in the current year, where are you spending this money that you're so critical of the club for not spending?

You and the club may have already forfeited 2024-25 and that’s why people put shit on the club. The focus should be winning next week and then every week after. Not some bullshit about 3 years time.
I'm not sure whether you're misunderstaning on purpose or not, but just to be clear: I am talking about getting better in 2024-25. We can do this by not spending 600k on a bench prop and instead using that money to sign players we need. No-one is saying anything about three years' time.

But the offer wasn't for the off season - it was for now. Parramatta are desperate to shore up their bench forwards NOW because they fall apart when RCG and Paulo are off the field and they still think they can win a premiership. That's why they are willing to overpay for Ofehangaue - but it only applies now; in the off season they could find plenty of options to play bench middle.

If the Tigers have decided the Ofehangaue contract was a mistake it makes sense to unload it when there's an offer on the table. This might be different if we were battling for the finals or the minor premiership, in which case of course it would be foolish to weaken the roster even if it's for long-term gain. But you've seen the ladder, I assume.
I get it mate… offers are made all the time in this league..

So why not wait until the off-season.. like I said .. we are the ones panicking… I could see the Dolphins for one being interested in him..

In the meantime he provides much needed depth at the very least … if not an opportunity to recover his form and perhaps a change of mind

We don’t need another back half of the season like last year when we were the zombie team getting belted each week .., doesn’t seem to do much for the young guys…Murphys Law that they will cop injuries and perhaps Klemmer will be picked in Origin so they could struggle for depth..

Anyway … it seems pointless continuing this conversation… I had a similar discussion last offseason when they let Hastings go and someone was trying to tell me that was a good idea as they had just signed Wakeham to provide depth.

I get it mate… offers are made all the time in this league..

So why not wait until the off-season.. like I said .. we are the ones panicking… I could see the Dolphins for one being interested in him..

In the meantime he provides much needed depth at the very least … if not an opportunity to recover his form and perhaps a change of mind

We don’t need another back half of the season like last year when we were the zombie team getting belted each week .., doesn’t seem to do much for the young guys…Murphys Law that they will cop injuries and perhaps Klemmer will be picked in Origin so they could struggle for depth..

Anyway … it seems pointless continuing this conversation… I had a similar discussion last offseason when they let Hastings go and someone was trying to tell me that was a good idea as they had just signed Wakeham to provide depth.
Sure - time will tell. I will just note that I'm not sure holding out for an imaginary offer from the Dolphins is absolutely how I'd play this if I was in charge, and that there's a big difference between losing a plausible first grade half back and a borderline starting middle forward. But yeah, I think we've both said our bit.

Reactions: 851
I reckon your arguments here have merit and a large part of me agrees with you, however, I'm still waiting to hear how you'd spend it.

Given the current market, in the current year, where are you spending this money that you're so critical of the club for not spending?
My only issue is, Ofahengaue is a very capable NRL player. If we haven't signed a player of similar calibre, why release him, as you say the market seems empty. HOPEFULLY the WT surprise me and have an alternative, and I'll happily put my hand up and say I'm wrong. I just want to support a successful team.

I hear you and you are right but I think clubs put a lot of pressure on players to leave. The best case I can think of is Musgrove who I think @THE_POM stated wanted to stay but they pushed him out.
You’re right,but it works both ways. If a player wants out he can also apply pressure. Either way, who ever is driving for the release usually wins

Sure - time will tell. I will just note that I'm not sure holding out for an imaginary offer from the Dolphins is absolutely how I'd play this if I was in charge, and that there's a big difference between losing a plausible first grade half back and a borderline starting middle forward. But yeah, I think we've both said our bit.
yep ..let’s wait and see … how he plays at the
Eels and how our depth goes in his absence…

You gotta an easier user name to remember then the other guy who was arguing about Hastings so we can touch base later in the year..,

Whats the bet we're paying a fair chunk of money for Joffa to move on. Seriously wasnt he resigned when Sheens was in full control, Madge was gone by that stage?
Very odd and stupid thing to do.
I don't think we will pay anything, Fulton will be a smart operator, the eels are desperate. Joe O is a lovely bloke but he is not a props bumhole and has zero ball playing skills for a 13, I am glad that he is not taking up a place in the 30 heading forward, Blore and Matamua are way more beneficial on the bench.

I get the argument to save $$ in this year and next 2 years cap, the tigers have only just starting getting a solid forward pack together with some depth to it, so you going to release someone who is an experienced origin or former origin player there better be someone decent coming into the team regardless if your making finals or not

I don't think we will pay anything, Fulton will be a smart operator, the eels are desperate. Joe O is a lovely bloke but he is not a props bumhole and has zero ball playing skills for a 13, I am glad that he is not taking up a place in the 30 heading forward, Blore and Matamua are way more beneficial on the bench.

From what i have seen Matamua has a long way to go to be FG ready but i certainly hope he makes it,Blore i completely agree should be in the 17

My only issue is, Ofahengaue is a very capable NRL player. If we haven't signed a player of similar calibre, why release him, as you say the market seems empty. HOPEFULLY the WT surprise me and have an alternative, and I'll happily put my hand up and say I'm wrong. I just want to support a successful team.
You and me both.

I agree that he's very capable, but that's the rub, is that we have too many very capable players in his role now, which has happened relatively quickly and he has just become surplus to requirements in the eyes of club. That would suggest that he doesn't need to be replaced like for like, because in their eyes, they have excess in Joe's role and so feel no need to replace him, but rather recoup some of his salary and spend it in areas where were more in need (halves, backs, depth, etc).

I'm sure, in time, that will reveal itself, just not overnight.

I agree with 2041. Parramatta’s current circumstances mean they want someone now. We need to do the deal now. The offer won’t exist in the offseason and I would think it’s very unlikely we’ll be able to unload him on as favourable terms in the offseason. Sure it might cost us some depth and even a game or two this year if a middle forward gets injured. That will only mean we finish 16th instead of 14th (for example) this year. Whilst winning is wanted every week we need to be realistic as to where we are. Most times if you focus on the short term it can come at the expense of the long term (and vice versa). I think Joffa’s money could be better used in 2024 and 2025. If I am being honest, watching with my own eyes, Joffa seems to be getting worse.

From what i have seen Matamua has a long way to go to be FG ready but i certainly hope he makes it,Blore i completely agree should be in the 17

I don't think stating that Matamua or Blore are better than Joe O now is at all realistic. They have never played to the level Joe O has shown he can play at.

Matamua hasn't proven anything at all.

Blore hasn't been that good in first grade this year and he hasn't had good performances in previous seasons mainly because he has hardly been on the park. I think Blore has had one good game in first grade this season and he was dropped because he wasn't offering enough.

I'm fine with the decision though. I think we may be able to get better longer term value from different players in different positions than we will get out of Joe O over the next couple of seasons.

We should not give them Joffa unless we are compensated to the point we win the deal.
These guys in Flegg are years away from being consistent first graders.
Dumb move unless we are highly rewarded
I ... I don't know.
I was thinking Joffa, Twal and a bunch of others have lost a stack of games with us. Joffa always came with the right attitude and played hard.

Yet if he wants out. I get it. I don't get why he is starting from the Bench as I would have put Pole or another bigger name on the bench and have Joffa used to initially soften people up. Joffa+twal bench just seems wrong.

We may just have to cycle some people out. If the attitude of loosing so many games sticks with them. I get it.

Getting rid of Garner, Peachey, Liddle, Musgrove, Maumalo and now Joe O (have I forgotten a few?) who were all on contract and all average-below average is good business. I get frustration at not getting anything in return for Joe O but I don't think he's anything but a fill in player and there isn't much of a drop off to whoever is behind him. Turning over the roster is important.

yep ..let’s wait and see … how he plays at the
Eels and how our depth goes in his absence…

You gotta an easier user name to remember then the other guy who was arguing about Hastings so we can touch base later in the year..,
I will say one thing more, so we can reconvene later on a reasonable basis: I'm not saying losing Ofehangaue now doesn't hurt us in 2023. He's a decent player and unless we are about to spring a surprise signing - which I doubt - it will obviously be a weaker roster without him. I just think it's a price worth paying in a season where we're doing nothing anyway to give us more flexibility to build a better roster for next season. Personally I'd rather come last this season and 8th next than 16th this season and 12th next. TBH we're never going to know, but that's half the fun of it, right?

Back