Which team will get the 18th Franchise

Hopefully a straight up PNG team (not an artificial combined Pasifika team trying to represent different countries with different cultures). My second choice would be Perth, 3rd choice a second NZ team.

While I have sympathy for the Bears, adding another team from NSW or Queensland adds no value to the comp.

Hopefully a straight up PNG team (not an artificial combined Pasifika team trying to represent different countries with different cultures). My second choice would be Perth, 3rd choice a second NZ team.

While I have sympathy for the Bears, adding another team from NSW or Queensland adds no value to the comp.
Agree.

The others really aren't appealing.

Candidates .2nd Melbourne team , PNG , Another Brisbane team , a Pacifica team based out of either Christchurch, Wellington ,Hamilton or Cairns , Central Coast , Perth .
My vote would be Central Coast 500,000 pop all love League
What if 2 get a licence but total comp is still 18 teams !

I can't see the validity of a PNG side if its not based in PNG.

I like the idea of a Pacifica team based out of Fiji

Look how well the Pacific teams are now doing in rugby

Reactions: BZN
Adelaide Rams.
I may be on my own here but I think the "National" rugby league comp should be exactly that. I wouldn't even have UNzud in it. I think its actually hurting their national league by attracting all their best players here.

I can't see the validity of a PNG side if its not based in PNG.
I agree, Port Moresby has a good stadium now that they built in the lead up to the last world cup, would be odd to base them in Cairns. Part time in Cairns to save on travel I guess could be fine, but you'd want at least some games in Port Moresby. Crowd atmosphere would be awesome, I would travel up there for a game for sure.

Adelaide Rams.
I may be on my own here but I think the "National" rugby league comp should be exactly that. I wouldn't even have UNzud in it. I think its actually hurting their national league by attracting all their best players here.

I would disagree with that because having the Warriors in the NRL gives the sport a far higher profile in NZ than they could ever achieve in their own competition and it also makes NZ a stronger national team

I think if the NRL and Vlandy’s want to stick it to union they should introduce a second NRL team in NZL on the South Island.

It will introduce a healthy rivalry for the warriors and they already have the stadiums to go. The NRL should be able to invest heavily on youth which I’m not sure local union clubs could compete with.

The increased investment will also put the heat on the All Blacks and with the ARU already so weak, playing NRL might become more attractive because who wants to win the Bledislode Cup for the 50th year in a row

This would allow the game to grow at a club and international level which is better for the game.

I think politically the PNG bid has a lot of covert govt support to try and offset the Chinese push in the Pacific, including our nearest and largest neighbour. Nothing really about footy but more a political footy.
Don’t be surprised if it goes that way.

Members online

Back