Which team will get the 18th Franchise

I wonder if VLandys would bring in 3 at once. He isn't afraid to be bold and we brought in 3 in '88 and 4 in '96 so we've done it before.

Second team in NZ and a WA team make sense. Maybe a Pacifika side too.

Don’t care if they send us packing if nothing significant comes out of this review. WA Tigers.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
I think politically the PNG bid has a lot of covert govt support to try and offset the Chinese push in the Pacific, including our nearest and largest neighbour. Nothing really about footy but more a political footy.
Don’t be surprised if it goes that way.
Just reading about the 18th franchise looking like going to PNG and revisited my thoughts. Mmmmmmm.

Reactions: BZN
Just reading about the 18th franchise looking like going to PNG and revisited my thoughts. Mmmmmmm.
I can see it happening. They'll be based in Cairns I reckon and play probably 1/2 - 2/3 games in Port Moresby. Cairns as a base for players to train and live and play a portion of the home games makes sense. Great place so wouldn't be as hard to convince players and families to live there

I can see it happening. They'll be based in Cairns I reckon and play probably 1/2 - 2/3 games in Port Moresby. Cairns as a base for players to train and live and play a portion of the home games makes sense. Great place so wouldn't be as hard to convince players and families to live there
I think you're correct and there's already good connecting flights to/from POM/Cairns which make it an easy commute.

There a comp in Port Moresby. Not sure how big it is.
Part 2. Just checked it out and still 12 regional teams playing in the Digicel Cup( current sponsor).
interesting to note the Lae Tigers still in business and finished 2nd in the comp this year.
large numbers of juniors playing mainly through schools.

3 Games in PNG doesn't rearly make it a PNG team though.

Part 2. Just checked it out and still 12 regional teams playing in the Digicel Cup( current sponsor).
interesting to note the Lae Tigers still in business and finished 2nd in the comp this year.
large numbers of juniors playing mainly through schools.
It's dependant on $25mill a year from the Feds though. Not sure how well that's gonna be received.
If Albo gets booted the whole thing could fall down.

There is big confidence building up here that this will happen.
People are saying the right things.

apart from being a political stunt(plz no,not another squirrel hoarding nuts thread) just dont see the $$$$ making sense from PNG,its the national sport n all,id guess south island Nz or SE Firehawks,qld,imo had the better profile $,future population,bit like our outer Wests than the Fins

Perth or a second NZ team are probably what the broadcasters want because of the time difference. Especially Perth being two hours behind. Although you would imagine if the Govt is pushing the New Guinea franchise, Peter V will work it for his advantage.

Personally the Central coast or Sunshine Coast would be my choice

Latest posts

Members online

Back