‘200 passes every day’

Hope they're trolling us and all they're doing is wrestling. Play the ball speed wins games. Obviously our attack sucked last year, but of course it will when you're conceding 60m a set, giving time and space for a kick and starting sets getting smashed on your goalline. Our teams couldn't match others physically. If you do that you earn the right to pass.

Defence is mostly attitude so hopefully playing a more free flowing game will help the players stay engaged and focused during defense that being said I think alot more errors with the ball will happen this year but hopefully by 24,25 season the players get used to throwing the ball around
This is an overused cliche that means nothing.
Defence requires a fullback that knows how and where to direct defenders returning to the line.
An understanding of when the space and numbers dictate jamming up and in or sliding.
This also needs to be practiced until the team reacts to situations the same, rather than one jamming whilst another slides.
Knowledge of the abilities of the guy next to you in order to trust he can complete a tackle or if he will require help which will leave an opponent unmarked.
Hours of gym and wrestling in order to have the physical ability to stop your opponent and the technical skills to work with a teammate to put an opponent on their back.
That is just the preseason work.

It then involves doing the hours of video each week to know the oppositions attacking structures and then hours practicing defending those structures on the training field.
This base is all needed before having the right attitude of working a little harder to cover your inside shoulder during a game.

This is an overused cliche that means nothing.
Defence requires a fullback that knows how and where to direct defenders returning to the line.
An understanding of when the space and numbers dictate jamming up and in or sliding.
This also needs to be practiced until the team reacts to situations the same, rather than one jamming whilst another slides.
Knowledge of the abilities of the guy next to you in order to trust he can complete a tackle or if he will require help which will leave an opponent unmarked.
Hours of gym and wrestling in order to have the physical ability to stop your opponent and the technical skills to work with a teammate to put an opponent on their back.
That is just the preseason work.

It then involves doing the hours of video each week to know the oppositions attacking structures and then hours practicing defending those structures on the training field.
This base is all needed before having the right attitude of working a little harder to cover your inside shoulder during a game.
Good post !

I'm glad I was wrong with my worry there would be a lot of dropped ball... But I dunno if we are moving it around any more than we used to.
I think I got a different perception reading the article back in summer to what we're seeing now

I'm glad I was wrong with my worry there would be a lot of dropped ball... But I dunno if we are moving it around any more than we used to.
I think I got a different perception reading the article back in summer to what we're seeing now
We had the worst completions the first few weeks. I think the game plan was all out ball movement at first but they had to change direction after the bye. Credit to the coaches, they actually weren't as stubborn as I feared in this instance.

We have even stopped offloading the last couple of weeks. No idea how Sheen's thinks Brooks and Wakeham will set anything up. API and Bateman are more likely to set up a try off and lib play.

Just says to our attack.

We have even stopped offloading the last couple of weeks. No idea how Sheen's thinks Brooks and Wakeham will set anything up. API and Bateman are more likely to set up a try off and lib play.

Just says to our attack.
Is it caused be fear of failure or inability to execute ?
Or maybe both ? I’m

there were a couple little moments against souths where we actually broke structure and strung a few passes together. the cohesion amongst the group is good, but the halves are not calling the right plays at the right times when the cues are there. Brooks is throwing the right passes but ultimately we're not getting the desired outcomes. really need a 7 to guide us around with Brooks to 6 and a decent left centre. Bula needs time. he will improve with the team's attacking output.

I think a lot of it is now in the player's heads when they get in the red zone. They know if they don't score they're validating what has been said about their attack.

As soon as we're in the red zone, you can see the confusion start to happen. Souths targeted Tupou and were able to execute while were mostly trying go through the middle or were too slow getting the ball wide.

I'd like to see just one cut out pass to Tupou in space. Same with Nofa as well actually. Benji could do it, Doueihi could do it occasionally. Neither Brooks and Wakeham have been able to execute.

I'd like to see just one cut out pass to Tupou in space

Me too. Meanwhile Milne ran for 270m meters
And scored 2 tries although we contained AJ
well. Brooks was calling the wrong around the
back plays. Put Bula under heaps of pressure
2/3 times by not reading souths' defensive
patterns on a few occasions, hard 2 watch ...

Need a strong runner.. need to go to Papali'i a lot more.. and I wouldn't even mind Bateman playing lock in the red zone. Get Pole on the edge to square up against the half.

Need a strong runner.. need to go to Papali'i a lot more.. and I wouldn't even mind Bateman playing lock in the red zone. Get Pole on the edge to square up against the half.

We need depth to our play to allow for strong runners to get the ball & deception options to drive the defenders to be indecisive.

We have the least depth in the NRL atm and it’s impossible to have line runners or out the back options come into effect when we are in the red zone. We are predictable & teams know it.

Latest posts

Back