#13 Lock

I would have douhi at lock.
He needs to learn to tackle of course but he needs to tackle whatever the position.
I reckon he'd make make a Isiah yeoh type player.

Definition: Locks are forwards that play at the back of the scrum and are often the hardest-working player on the team, because they need to be fit and mobile, and combine size & strength with ball skills and an ability to step/break the line. Defensively, they'll often make more tackles than any other player.

What type of lock do you think this team needs?

We've been playing front rowers in this position over the past few seasons - Twal, Joffa & Fonua.

Do you consider the lock a third prop?
Or would you prefer more of a ball player.

My favourite #13 are players like Elijah Taylor & Dene Halatau - backrowers with some ball playing ability and the potential to play hooker.
This has been THE biggest shock of Sheens return IMO...of all coaches, I expected a ball playing 13 from him.

He tells everyone to pass...yet picks blokes who can't pass at 13. The key link forward.

Bizarre.

This has been THE biggest shock of Sheens return IMO...of all coaches, I expected a ball playing 13 from him.

He tells everyone to pass...yet picks blokes who can't pass at 13. The key link forward.

Bizarre.
He picks a guy at 7 that can’t pass

If he can show his motor & middle defence is up to it YES. But I reckon Rd 1 will more likely be Seyfarth lock & Matamua bench as Seyfarth is a great pre-season trainer who could be rewarded.
Good post.

I think they both are genuine 13s.
Interesting you've got Juzzy making the bench.
Could see that happening, depending what happens with Blore.

No... After watching him play for us / Samoa "out of position" this year, I haven't seen what others have seen.
He has never displayed urgency, aggression or skill with the ball and for a big lad he doesn't tackle or run with any vigour.
Yes, he has limited game time "7 NRL games" and only 20 years of age.
Bottom line... he is here for 24 with a Club option for 25. It's now or never for the lad.

No... After watching him play for us / Samoa "out of position" this year, I haven't seen what others have seen.
He has never displayed urgency, aggression or skill with the ball and for a big lad he doesn't tackle or run with any vigour.
Yes, he has limited game time "7 NRL games" and only 20 years of age.
Bottom line... he is here for 24 with a Club option for 25. It's now or never for the lad.
Option was triggered for ‘25.

He’s here for the next two seasons.

probably the most crucial preseason Matamua will ever have as a Wests Tiger. really needs to work on his intent defensively and working on when to pass and when to cart it up.

if he brains it and plays well in the trials he will probably make his way into the 17 for the beginning of the season. ideal scenario is we keep things tight and kick long in the first 20 or so with Pole starting at 13 with Justin then coming on and allowing us to play wider and exploit overlaps.

if he fails to fire he will be overtaken by Laulili'i and likely never recover. it's very much on a knife's edge.

Option was triggered for ‘25.

He’s here for the next two seasons.
Just an observation with some of the photos of pre-season training.. it looked like most of the ball went from hooker to halfback..? (Alot of the time to benji ) if so.. maybe we mighten have a lock as the link.. ? Anyone else see that..? Maybe going for a battering ram forward pack.. might take matamua out of contention, then someone like Fainu ( backrower not the prop) off the bench and Pole to start.

I'll throw a name in that is rarely mentioned, but the Halatau reference got me thinking...

Jake Simpkin.

Willing defensive player. Scoots from dummy half. If he's going to be in the club, what is his role going to be? I'd much rather a back-up hooker that can handle a dual role.

I'll throw a name in that is rarely mentioned, but the Halatau reference got me thinking...

Jake Simpkin.

Willing defensive player. Scoots from dummy half. If he's going to be in the club, what is his role going to be? I'd much rather a back-up hooker that can handle a dual role.
Have floated that before, bit of a Cam McInnes type option.

He picks a guy at 7 that can’t pass
Actually what I find hilarious about that is:
Sheens did not pick Brooks at 7, As he got Brooks off Madge
who got Brooks off Cleary,
Who got Brooks off Taylor
Who got Brooks off Mick Potter
Who got Brooks off Tim Sheen's who picked him at 7.

Other then Wayne Bennett picking his favourites, I think that is NRL's biggest Boomerang.

Justin Matamua, a chance for round 1 starting lock.

Thoughts?

From what i've seen of him in FG he looks a million miles away, the club obviously rate him im just not seeing it. Others will have seen more of him in lower grades and might be able to comment more but imo i'd be looking at other options.

Latest posts

Back