#13 Lock

Demps

Staff member
Forum Leader
Definition: Locks are forwards that play at the back of the scrum and are often the hardest-working player on the team, because they need to be fit and mobile, and combine size & strength with ball skills and an ability to step/break the line. Defensively, they'll often make more tackles than any other player.

What type of lock do you think this team needs?

We've been playing front rowers in this position over the past few seasons - Twal, Joffa & Fonua.

Do you consider the lock a third prop?
Or would you prefer more of a ball player.

My favourite #13 are players like Elijah Taylor & Dene Halatau - backrowers with some ball playing ability and the potential to play hooker.

Don't think a ball playing lock will help us, but overall think it is a better strategy for most teams.

If we had a ball playing lock will push brooks wider and he will have no room to crab sideways.

Maybe worth moving bateman 13. Asu
back at 2nd row with Paps, sheens is a
Plonk moving Asu to the wing from 2nd
row to centre in as many weeks SMH. We
shouldn't have released Ken with no-one
To take his place, going off topic a bit but
We're absolutely clueless. I don't know man

Maybe worth moving bateman 13. Asu
back at 2nd row with Paps, sheens is a
Plonk moving Asu to the wing from 2nd
row to centre in as many weeks SMH. We
shouldn't have released Ken with no-one
To take his place, going off topic a bit but
We're absolutely clueless. I don't know man
AJ situation is becoming the Sitaleki one all over again...

He'll be named at 5/8 next week (probably)

That's a nice backrow though, I rate it...

11 Papali'i
12 AJ
13 Bateman

Definition: Locks are forwards that play at the back of the scrum and are often the hardest-working player on the team, because they need to be fit and mobile, and combine size & strength with ball skills and an ability to step/break the line. Defensively, they'll often make more tackles than any other player.

We've been playing front rowers in this position over the past few seasons - Twal, Joffa & Fonua.

My favourite #13 are players like Elijah Taylor & Dene Halatau - backrowers with some ball playing ability and the potential to play hooker.
Our players should watch a lot of Halatau , was exceptional at dummy half running and would dominate these days with the 6 again ,I reckon Joe is our 13, just gotta get him motivated to lead by example and do the 1 % that he can. With the pack we have could dominate if their efforts are combined with no stupid penalties and ball security. Backs need to appreciate the efforts our forwards are doing and reward them with points and failing that then get repeat sets.

11 Papali'i
12 AJ
13 Bateman
Nice but I'd prefer Ice n Bateman 2nd row n an enthusiastic Joe at 13. But he seems a little underdone atm.

Our players should watch a lot of Halatau , was exceptional at dummy half running and would dominate these days with the 6 again ,I reckon Joe is our 13, just gotta get him motivated to lead by example and do the 1 % that he can. With the pack we have could dominate if their efforts are combined with no stupid penalties and ball security. Backs need to appreciate the efforts our forwards are doing and reward them with points and failing that then get repeat sets.

Joffa seems to be in Sheens bad boys book and it is near impossible to get out of it,however if you are one of his favourites you are guaranteed to be in your favourite position no matter how badly you perform.As much as i love footy i wish our season was finished as all i can see ahead at the moment is more pain

Langmack, Clyde, Price.

I think during that early 2010s to pre-covid, your 13 was best suited being a 3rd prop since it was a very slow ruck and the focus was on solely winning the field position battle and grinding away.

Now in the six-again era with a faster paced game, all else equal I think the smaller, ball-playing lock is the best option as a full-timer.

However, ideally you have a guy who can cover 9/13 on the bench (think Brandon Smith, Cam McInnes) and your starting 13 is a guy who's not quite a full-time prop, but also larger than your traditional ball-playing positions (Isaah Yeo, Tohu Harris come to mind). Offers you flexibility with the forward pack (you can move the big lock to prop for significant periods, have the bench 9/13 come on to spell your hooker and then operate with your starting hooker + the 9/13 at the end of half/game).

I actually think the 05 Tigers had the prototype of these 3 types of players funnily enough, in that Payten although playing prop, was really the modern day ball-playing prop/lock in the Yeo mould, Fulton like the Radley/Murray and Halatau the Smith/McInnes type.

11 Papali'i
12 AJ
13 Bateman
I reckon Bateman looks a natural for the 13, but I’d be asking him what spot he prefers and play him there.
Joffa is a good prop or a bench prop that’s it. We’ve tried him at 13 and he’s average broncs tried him at 2nd row and he was worse. He can fill in but otherwise we need a lock, it’s another roster spot that was neglected coming into this season. Sheens let his lock in Hastings go and never replaced him.

While Bateman in Canberra was an excellent 2nd rower, I do think he could excel at 13 in a ball-playing capacity too. However he won't hold-up defensively with his shoulder issues.

Tuilagi's defensive struggles yesterday however led me along a train of though that teams are too rigid in having players defend in the same position as where they attack. Tuilagi has, and likely will always have, terrible lateral movement which makes him a major defensive liability defending on an edge. While I don't think he'd be a good defender up the middle either as his tackling generally isn't great, you'd be able to mask his defensive deficiencies that way.

So it makes me think that the combination of Bateman and Blore alternating offensive and defensive duties could work - that is Bateman could be the lock in attack and Blore on the edge, while Blore defends in the middle and Bateman on the edge. Something to certainly consider at the very least.

Wanted Hastings to be playing there, but he didn't want to.
Yeah that’s fine but if you release the bloke you got to play lock, you then need to replace him, or am I not getting this roster management thing?

I like Bateman better on an edge as he doesn't get bashed up. Ideally Matamua will develop into a 50 minute lock by the end of the season, but at this stage he still doesn't look ready to handle the defensive responsibilities in FG.
Matamua is nowhere near ready for first grade and should be playing big mins in ressies with a regular call ups for a bench sport in nrl. But coz sheens did not replace his starting lock we have to play him which is detrimental to his progress.

I'd prefer a running lock. Like fonua. Never get while locks are ball players. Yes Yep is a good example but honestly thats why we have halves in the first place. If the half wants to play wider then get the dummy half to pass further. Grant at Melbourne is a great example of holding up the ruck by running when there is an opportunity and then when he has the markers ball watching, he passes a long spiral to his half who plays off it.

Personally I'd like a Carrigan type lock. Tackle hard, organise and offload from decent runs.

Latest posts

Back