2022 NSW Origin Team

perches on them smoking his herbal houka{?}feeling the grass on his feet,there both strong young teams ,hard to seperate
NSW has the edge with the Penny connections, experience and home ground. Should be a good last 20 if the QLD boys are still in it.

on the magic abucus.with a southern lean,1pt being better 0 being equal.NSW 2 pts better,position v position.will it be enough to counteract QLDs doggedness????

I thought Daley would never be surpassed as the biggest myth in SOO history but Fittler is a contender. Funny how Fittler played for Penrith and the Roosters and so does the entire NSW team, nepotism much?

‘Blown away’: Matthew Johns can’t believe Luke Brooks Origin II snub​

Andrew McMurtry
@AndrewMcMurtry
Newscorp

June 20, 2022 - 5:53PM

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler made seven changes to his squad and a host of other changes but couldn’t find a place for one of the state’s favourite sons.

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has made a host of changes for State of Origin II but one star who still hasn’t got a look in is Wests Tigers star Luke Brooks.

Seven changes were made to the squad from Origin I with Matt Burton and Siosifa Talakai set to debut, Api Koroisau to play after being on the extended list in game one, Jake Trbojevic and Angus Crichton to come into the side and Jordan McLean, Clint Gutherson and Victor Radley coming into the squad.

Before Origin I, the absence of Luke Brooks and Jake Trbojevic were the most glaring omissions, and while the Manly forward was brought in for game II, Brooks was still nowhere to be seen.

It was believed that the reason for Brooks to be overlooked was his height, as Queensland have 191cm Selwyn Cobbo, while the Cowboys’ 189cm winger Murray Taulagi will be brought in for the 194cm Xavier Coates.

Brooks is a reported 153cm, compared to Daniel Tupou at 196cm.

The other winger and metre-eater Brian To’o stands at a reported 182cm tall.

While the bombing raid didn’t take place in game I, it’s an option that must be in the back of the mind for Fittler because Brooks has put his best foot forward this season in a losing side.

Brooks has 2 tries this year — equal fiftieth in the NRL — despite the Tigers’ dire season so far, as the club sits 14th on the NRL ladder and eight points out of the top eight.

But there was no spot for the Tigers star despite the mass changes, which has surprised former Blues half Matthew Johns.

“I know people say you pick a side and see it out through the series,” Johns said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“But if there are obvious changes after Game I, then you’ve got to make them.

“I’m still blown away there’s no Luke Brooks, that really surprised me given his form over the last few weeks and how he has responded to his non-selection.

“Combining that with what he’s done in the past (at SG Ball level), that really surprised me.”

But Johns added the selection of Talakai “was a good selection”, but that Fittler had gone away from what had won him three of his four series’ in charge.

“In previous successful series, Freddy just picked the best side and almost said, ‘Come out and stop us’.

“(Talakai’s selection) is aggressive, it’s that X-factor if you need something, bring him off the bench, get him to wind up and create a bit of space for Nathan (Cleary).

“He’s really good and winding up and creating space in the middle of the field.”

But while the NRL world was once again perplexed by Brooks' snub, the man himself was not.

“I wasn’t too surprised to be honest,” he told Code Sports.

“Daniel Tupou and Bizza [To’o] had a really good first game of Origin and I thought they did as much as they could and played really well for the Blues in the first game so I wasn’t really expecting a call.

“It was mixed emotions to be honest. I know my team at the time were doing it tough, it’s just one of those things. I was always focused on what I had to do for the Tigers, so that’s footy.

‘Blown away’: Matthew Johns can’t believe Luke Brooks Origin II snub​

Andrew McMurtry
@AndrewMcMurtry
Newscorp

June 20, 2022 - 5:53PM

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler made seven changes to his squad and a host of other changes but couldn’t find a place for one of the state’s favourite sons.

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has made a host of changes for State of Origin II but one star who still hasn’t got a look in is Wests Tigers star Luke Brooks.

Seven changes were made to the squad from Origin I with Matt Burton and Siosifa Talakai set to debut, Api Koroisau to play after being on the extended list in game one, Jake Trbojevic and Angus Crichton to come into the side and Jordan McLean, Clint Gutherson and Victor Radley coming into the squad.

Before Origin I, the absence of Luke Brooks and Jake Trbojevic were the most glaring omissions, and while the Manly forward was brought in for game II, Brooks was still nowhere to be seen.

It was believed that the reason for Brooks to be overlooked was his height, as Queensland have 191cm Selwyn Cobbo, while the Cowboys’ 189cm winger Murray Taulagi will be brought in for the 194cm Xavier Coates.

Brooks is a reported 153cm, compared to Daniel Tupou at 196cm.

The other winger and metre-eater Brian To’o stands at a reported 182cm tall.

While the bombing raid didn’t take place in game I, it’s an option that must be in the back of the mind for Fittler because Brooks has put his best foot forward this season in a losing side.

Brooks has 2 tries this year — equal fiftieth in the NRL — despite the Tigers’ dire season so far, as the club sits 14th on the NRL ladder and eight points out of the top eight.

But there was no spot for the Tigers star despite the mass changes, which has surprised former Blues half Matthew Johns.

“I know people say you pick a side and see it out through the series,” Johns said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“But if there are obvious changes after Game I, then you’ve got to make them.

“I’m still blown away there’s no Luke Brooks, that really surprised me given his form over the last few weeks and how he has responded to his non-selection.

“Combining that with what he’s done in the past (at SG Ball level), that really surprised me.”

But Johns added the selection of Talakai “was a good selection”, but that Fittler had gone away from what had won him three of his four series’ in charge.

“In previous successful series, Freddy just picked the best side and almost said, ‘Come out and stop us’.

“(Talakai’s selection) is aggressive, it’s that X-factor if you need something, bring him off the bench, get him to wind up and create a bit of space for Nathan (Cleary).

“He’s really good and winding up and creating space in the middle of the field.”

But while the NRL world was once again perplexed by Brooks' snub, the man himself was not.

“I wasn’t too surprised to be honest,” he told Code Sports.

“Daniel Tupou and Bizza [To’o] had a really good first game of Origin and I thought they did as much as they could and played really well for the Blues in the first game so I wasn’t really expecting a call.

“It was mixed emotions to be honest. I know my team at the time were doing it tough, it’s just one of those things. I was always focused on what I had to do for the Tigers, so that’s footy.

Ahh matty johns, the mouthpiece that no one listens to but won't quit

Latest posts

Back