LIVE GAME 2023 Grand Final discussion

Live Game Discussion
Yeah but this really shits me changing the rules, relaxing this but cracking down on that..yeah the teaams might be advised thru the week but its frutrating for fans

I want one change next year where a player in possesion voluntarily goes down...not a hand on him yet the ref calls "held"...its a made for TV rule, but just penalize em theyll soon stop
Unless he is injured. But yes.

Should be only a matter of time before he clicks in a SOO series. Club footy wise he has surpassed those names already. Cleary still has a good 8 more seasons in the tank.
Unsure if Cleary has surpassed these names in Club footy.

Lewis - I only saw him with the Gold Coast Seagulls. Ineffective then, I think he played better at that Origin/State level.
Langer - This guy was Brisbane and helped drive Lockyer. Langer also was a gimmickly player. He could outrun and outpass people but would also trip to tackle.
Johns, Thurston and Sterling - Cleary IMHO isn't at that level. I see him at Cooper Cronk's level, a lot at Penrith is set up for Cleary, particularly the big forward pack to protect him.

Cleary is getting massive help from his dad, in a good team. I still see DCE as greater then Cleary but we will see in the next few origin games.

Unsure if Cleary has surpassed these names in Club footy.

Lewis - I only saw him with the Gold Coast Seagulls. Ineffective then, I think he played better at that Origin/State level.
Langer - This guy was Brisbane and helped drive Lockyer. Langer also was a gimmickly player. He could outrun and outpass people but would also trip to tackle.
Johns, Thurston and Sterling - Cleary IMHO isn't at that level. I see him at Cooper Cronk's level, a lot at Penrith is set up for Cleary, particularly the big forward pack to protect him.

Cleary is getting massive help from his dad, in a good team. I still see DCE as greater then Cleary but we will see in the next few origin games.
Your dismissive assessment of Langer and Lewis is troubling enough, but that same dismissive assessment of a 25 year old halfback who has won 3 SOO series, a World Cup and 3 Grand Finals…whilst securing a Brad Fittler medal, an RLPA Player of the year award, 2 x Dally M halfback of the year awards and 2 x Clive Churchill medals is laughable.

In my uninformed opinion, Cronk is the best ever. The way he came to the Rorters and immediately got them two premierships was elite. He was so good that they effectively played a 12 man defence for a whole GF to keep him playing with a busted arm. And he did it well enough for them to win. Courageous too.

He also dominated at Origin. I think he's underrated because he's not flashy and a robotic nerd, but if I wanted a half to win both a premiership and Origin, prime Cronk would be be my #1 pick. Johns and Langer close by - being both dominant attackers and great defenders.

Cleary looks like he will surpass them all, but he has to show he can dominate in ref footy over a sustained period like those other guys.

In my uninformed opinion, Cronk is the best ever. The way he came to the Rorters and immediately got them two premierships was elite. He was so good that they effectively played a 12 man defence for a whole GF to keep him playing with a busted arm. And he did it well enough for them to win. Courageous too.

He also dominated at Origin. I think he's underrated because he's not flashy and a robotic nerd, but if I wanted a half to win both a premiership and Origin, prime Cronk would be be my #1 pick. Johns and Langer close by - being both dominant attackers and great defenders.

Cleary looks like he will surpass them all, but he has to show he can dominate in ref footy over a sustained period like those other guys.
Agree with all of this.
Only thing is cronk didn't have cook in the centres. If nsw selects a muppet as coach not really Nathans fault.
If nsw is serious about origin daddy is coach.

Your dismissive assessment of Langer and Lewis is troubling enough, but that same dismissive assessment of a 25 year old halfback who has won 3 SOO series, a World Cup and 3 Grand Finals…whilst securing a Brad Fittler medal, an RLPA Player of the year award, 2 x Dally M halfback of the year awards and 2 x Clive Churchill medals is laughable.
Just being clear.

They are all great players.

I just see DCE > Cleary.
Particularly with Queensland beating NSW with inferior sides, Cleary's SOO record is 6/14 wins with a 43% win rate.

Lewis, I only saw him play at the very end of his career... Ok I can't judge.

Langer, I mean MEH. Look he had an extreme amount of talent and that's how he survived as a small guy. But man the refs let him get away with an awful lot. Langers rule breaking would get him suspended now. The Donkeys used to really push it in those early years.

I see Thurston, Cam Smith and Joey in that Immortal realm. Ofcourse Cleary has half a NRL career ahead of him and he will improve.

Just being clear, Cleary is great... Just not an immortal in my view (yet).

I just see DCE > Cleary.
Particularly with Queensland beating NSW with inferior sides, Cleary's SOO record is 6/14 wins with a 43% win rate.
DCE has owned Cleary for 3 of the past 4 series. I agree has has the wood over him.
He is far more experienced and has better coaching staff around him though.
Cleary has now matured, will continue to grow over the off season in the Pacific Championship and will surely make a statement next series.
Lewis, I only saw him play at the very end of his career... Ok I can't judge.
I’m not sure why you would try and argue something you have no knowledge of. The guy is an immortal for a reason.
Langer, I mean MEH. Look he had an extreme amount of talent and that's how he survived as a small guy. But man the refs let him get away with an awful lot. Langers rule breaking would get him suspended now. The Donkeys used to really push it in those early years.
This is just dumb.
Langer was a champion halfback and would have thrived in any era.
37 Origins, 26 Tests, 313 top level games, 4 premierships, a tonne of awards…
Christ he came back to Australia on an Origin SOS call in 2001 as a fat little butterball and played the game 3 decider, leading QLD to a massive win.
He was every bit as good as Johns and many, myself included thought he was the superior halfback of the two.

I see Thurston, Cam Smith and Joey in that Immortal realm. Ofcourse Cleary has half a NRL career ahead of him and he will improve.
Just being clear, Cleary is great... Just not an immortal in my view (yet).
I don’t know why people are calling for him to be an immortal yet. His story has not finished being written. His trajectory is heading straight for it currently though.

Agreed. He let a try in and was playing ordinary...

That last 20 minute effort though. Brillant. but it wasn't all him. Ivan coaches well so that Nathan has to only do half the job well.

Ezra man, THAT WAS ALL HIM. Take him out and it goes from a close game to a wipeout. It was Reynolds too to win or loose and amazingly his kicking game was off.

IMHO medal should have gone to someone else.
One of Mitch Kenny, Moses Leota or Liam Martin.

That said, BEST MATCH OF THE SEASON. hands down.

IMO Moses Leota was a beast certainly steps up in the big games.
Penrith’s middle forwards very dominant Leota, Kenny,fisher-Harris & Yeo
When they are all on the field TOGETHER Penrith look in control.
Nathan last 20 brilliant but previous 20 defensively poor
Penrith right edge defence nearly cost them.
Stephen Crichton’s try was better than some give him credit for, he just delivers in big games and will be a big loss for them next year.

Members online

Back