8pt try

crouching_tiger

On friday night a 8pt try was awarded to Manly. The commentators mentioned that a punter had placed a $20,000 bet that that try would be converted.
Manly converted both goals, but let's just say they missed the first goal and get the second attempt from in front.
Would the TAB consider this as a winning ticket or a losing ticket?
Because i guess it would all come down to actual wording, as it is called a "8pt try".

So which does the TAB consider as the completion of the process?

Try / Missed Goal / Goal

or
\
\
Try / Missed Goal
+
Penalty conversion

What do you guys reckon?

firstly i amazed it was awarded in the first place … but now i know there was a 20 k bet on it ... i can understand why...somebody is winning big time on sportsbetting ...almost every big plunge comes off ....

I think the bet was first try in 2nd half would be converted

The conversion is the first kick, the second is the penalty awarded in front for the foul, therefore I reckon only paying on the first kick.

Its a ''possible'' 8 point try, also possible 6 point try, or if Marshalls involved, even a 4 pointer

@innsaneink said:
Its a ''possible'' 8 point try, also possible 6 point try, or if Marshalls involved, even a 4 pointer

In saying that with using the term "possible", that to me means, the actual "process" of a "converted try"(which is what the punter would have bet on) is not complete until AFTER the second kick is completed whether they get it or miss.

So that's why i'm pondering this question. Unless the TAB ticket or ruling specifies that they will not pay ANY exceptions barring a standard try+goal.

First shot at goal is the conversion (hence it's taken in line with where the try was scored)
Second shot at goal is a penalty shot (hence it's taken in front)

Any bets on the try being converted would be won/loss on the first shot.

@Marshall_magic said:
First shot at goal is the conversion (hence it's taken in line with where the try was scored)

I reckon you are right.

@Marshall_magic said:

Do you know this for sure?

I already understand that concept of what you are saying. BUT if it the second shot at goal is deemed just a penalty, then why aren't ALL penalties governed the same way as to repositioning the mark from the point/or in line of the infringement?
The move of the second shot is an additional to the actual try to reward the team which was fouled against. And the terms used such as "possible 8pt try" would not exist then. It would be deemed "a try + penalty" so to speak. Then i could understand if the bet would be a losing ticket.

:laughing: owned….

Should never have been a penalty try in the first place.....

@crouching_tiger said:
@Marshall_magic said:

Do you know this for sure?

I already understand that concept of what you are saying. BUT if it the second shot at goal is deemed just a penalty, then why aren't ALL penalties governed the same way as to repositioning the mark from the point/or in line of the infringement?
The move of the second shot is an additional to the actual try to reward the team which was fouled against. And the terms used such as "possible 8pt try" would not exist then. It would be deemed "a try + penalty" so to speak. Then i could understand if the bet would be a losing ticket.

I'd say so. The market is for "goal converted" or "goal not converted" and is only open when the goal is being lined up. After the first shot is taken, they would open a second market for the one in front (although they may not do this because it's practically a given that the kicker will slot it from in front [unless it's benji]).

Staff online

Back