Achillies Tendon Rupture

Muffstar

I just ruptured my Achillies tendon and it seems like it will be a long process before things are right again.

Just wondering whether anyone on here has gone through this and how long it took them to get back to sport again or even walking without crutches.

Thx.

No I haven't, but I wish you a speedy recovery.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

@Muffstar said:
I just ruptured my Achillies tendon and it seems like it will be a long process before things are right again.

Just wondering whether anyone on here has gone through this and how long it took them to get back to sport again or even walking without crutches.

Thx.

Muffstar I know a fair bit about this injury Firstly it bloody hurts , far worse than the pain involved in doing an ACL

I ruptured mine in the 2nd last trial for my beloved Wests Panthers as a 18 year old in 1987 and missed the season

I had lots of issues and found that I went from probably one the quickest at the club to struggling to keep up with the forwards and being called every name under the sun by the trainers Turns out that while healing it had twisted and then had to have it reattached late in 87 and missed basically all of 1988

To give you an idea performance wise where all that left me was my best track 100 metres was 10.84 and couldn't get below 11.5 after the injury

Any hopes I had of cutting it at even BRL level disappeared

Things would of changed a lot medically since then , but I'm sure it is still basically a season ending injury

I wish you luck with your recovery Muffstar and make sure you follow through with your physio , the more movement you can keep early on is crucial

I ruptured mine about 18 months ago and had it surgically repaired.
Make sure you wait a week to have it operated on and there are a few choices now for surgical technique.
There is the the traditional open technique which involves large incision and in a cast and crutches for 6 weeks followed by a boot for another 6-8 weeks followed by lots of physio to get the ankle ROM going again.
The other technique is the percutaneous technique, a little controversial in Australia however had been performed in Europe for many years. The benefit is early movement protocol and hence less reliance on crutches. Long term you will get the same result. It's all short term benefits.
By way of example, I was walking without crutches at 4 weeks in a boot and without the boot at about 6 weeks.
Also I started physio at week 2 with early passive movement to maintain range in the ankle.
Happy is right, it's a long painful process and it takes a good 12 months before you feel confident running again in sport.

as tiges05 mentioned, keep the ankle and the foot moving. you may not be able to do that physically but just maybe get an elastic band and pull your foot up and down whenever you get time.

![](http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/elements/clients/images/11-449320071014__072708_180039.jpg)

start this maybe 2 weeks post surgery

it's important to also strength your calf muscles as it gives your foot extra stability in the long run. do this maybe 4-6 weeks post surgery.

wish you a quick and speedy recovery. there is plenty of research on the web if you ever unsure about something. good luck!

To give you an idea performance wise where all that left me was my best track 100 metres was 10.84 and couldn't get below 11.5 after the injury

holy crap happy!!! man, that is extremely impressive! :master:

muffstar, i did my achilles last year when i rather stupidly decided to do sprints on the road in my boxing boots - it was at boxing training so im not a complete lunatic…. was 41 then and was having the best workout ever until that. it wasnt a snap, but i felt it getting tight and went for too long. youd think youd learn at my age....

after seeing the ortho surgeon he said the only thing for it was billions of those little calf raises. being me, i dont take the time to do what seem silly calf raises... therefore, my recovery time has been 264 times longer than it probably should have been, but in saying that, it is probably the longest injury i have ever had to recuperate from and have heard likewise from others.

they dont seem like much, but those calf raises work wonders.

its funny i came across this thread actually, because it was just last night i flexed my left foot fully forward and it was the first time in well over a year i didnt get more than a small amount of pain.

i think (someone correct me if im wrong) that a lot of it depends on your age and how important it is you get it fixed straight away. in my case i just wanted the doc to give me steroids and magically fix it! hell, im well past professional sport, so who cares?! ill go the steroids! but no... they wouldnt help he said.

i empathise with you and wish you a speedy recovery.

tiges05 and others have given you great advice.

I've only known one bloke to have that and he was our gun centre for the season and did it in the opening trial game the poor bastard. It was from a drop out and he just fell in front of me and the other prop - we were like what the fark and didn't take any notice of where the ball ended up. Got him to hospital and he did play again but as a second rower the next season. It's not a nice injury but recoverable with decent physio. I wish you all the best!

I did mine 2 years ago. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks and walking in the boot for 2 weeks after that.i do physical work and went back after 3 months. Started running again at 5 months.Its a slow process but you just have to follow what your doctor and physio tell you. All the best.

Latest posts

Back