Adam Doueihi #227

@cobarcats said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524021) said:
They say Mbye's downfall was his versatility, I reckon it's because he wasn't a champion in any position.
If you look at Darren Lockyer, he was a champion ⅝ then transitioned to become a champion fullback, GI's another, centre-fulback.
In ADs case he's an exciting ⅝, centre or fulback, but I reckon in his next tenure he'll transition into a champion ball playing lock.
Big call I know but this kid has quality written from ear to ear.
He's got a lot to learn about when to pass and when not to and defensive decisions but I believe he is truely an athlete and is eager to learn.

I would normally agree but his defensive reads and effort once he is beaten isn’t a good making for a lock. He has the frame, after 2 major knee injuries just can’t see him moulding to a lock strike weapon. He looks more center mould for me but issue is right now he is a good nrl player who just doesn’t lock in a particular role.

Who knows maybe he moves to fullback and Laurie moves to 5/8th. I thought at fullback for Souths he was brilliant during the finals. Sheens might look at Laurie this year and say his speed & passing needs to be closer to the line and rucks rather than wider.

There is a real risk though if he doesn’t really drive and own a position he becomes a utility.

@mighty_tiger said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524028) said:
They say Mbye's downfall was his versatility, I reckon it's because he wasn't a champion in any position.
If you look at Darren Lockyer, he was a champion ⅝ then transitioned to become a champion fullback, GI's another, centre-fulback.
In ADs case he's an exciting ⅝, centre or fulback, but I reckon in his next tenure he'll transition into a champion ball playing lock.
He's got a lot to learn about when to pass and when not to and defensive decisions but I believe he is truely an athlete and is eager to learn.

I would normally agree but his defensive reads and effort once he is beaten isn’t a good making for a lock. He has the frame, after 2 major knee injuries just can’t see him moulding to a lock strike weapon. He looks more center mould for me but issue is right now he is a good nrl player who just doesn’t lock in a particular role.

Who knows maybe he moves to fullback and Laurie moves to 5/8th. I thought at fullback for Souths he was brilliant during the finals. Sheens might look at Laurie this year and say his speed & passing needs to be closer to the line and rucks rather than wider.

There is a real risk though if he doesn’t really drive and own a position he becomes a utility.

Funny I also thought he had the better poise for the game at fullback, sure he needed to improve but just my take.

Laurie is a talent but struggled to make those big last ditch tackles.
Hope that changes.

Do you think he's a fullback or centre, sorry guys I thought you were talking about the future, at present yes but I think he's a bit slow to take it to the next level.
How would you compare him to Billy Slater as far as explosiveness goes. A champion fullback even centre has that sudden burst of speed.
Even Matty Bowen, whilst he was very short had that dynamic change of pace.
My point which is probably off the mark a bit from what has been said is whilst Adam is a very good player basically from ⅝ centre and fullback I dont think he is destined to be a great player in those positions. [Gee I hope I'm wrong because I'm a huge fan of his]
He imo, can with time, develope into a great ball playing lock, his defence will improve as his body toughens up. He certainly has the skill set.
I certainly agree that those knee injuries are a concern.
I'm not saying this will happen it's just an opinion.
Cheers and goodnight fellas. See you tomorrow ha ha.

@merlot said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523748) said:
seems 2 b were building better quality depth,then previous decade

Which I think is a problem.

Sure if Depth= quality Juniors pushing our positions then fine.
Instead were signing people, like Starford Toa. Which is fine as we have no coverage around Fullback and little coverage at Wing.

Yet this is what we did wrong when Cleary did his rebuild. We signed Fringe Graders and way too many of them. The only one who ever exceeded their potential was Corey Thompson. It meant our cap got locked up pretty quickly.

Far better to sign top shelf players and if there are injuries give a junior a shot. At least then you know that who takes the field is earning their place.

I think AD could wear the 7, I think he has a better long kicking game than Brooks, a bigger voice on the field and a better long passing game.
Give Books the 6 and let him play with more width, allow him to use his short passing game and short kicking game out wide, his running is more impactful out wide as well.
The biggest thing AD would have to improve is giving up the ball more often, but he will get his hands on it more also.

@adelaidetiger said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524071) said:
I think AD could wear the 7, I think he has a better long kicking game than Brooks, a bigger voice on the field and a better long passing game.
Give Books the 6 and let him play with more width, allow him to use his short passing game and short kicking game out wide, his running is more impactful out wide as well.
The biggest thing AD would have to improve is giving up the ball more often, but he will get his hands on it more also.

What about Hastings? Big voice and great kicking game.

@formerguest said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523744) said:
Reading thoughts that Adam might not be in the seventeen was a bit of a laugh. He may not be viewed by some as being at what they see as an inflated level claimed by others, but he walks back into the team when passed fit to play.

Assuming Brooks is left half, whether Doueihi plays as right half displacing Hastings or wider at centre upon returning, will almost certainly depend on injuries or Jackson's form there otherwise. Another option is a JH move to hooker if things aren't working out there, but either way it is probably best all round for WT that the initial spine is gelling, with Adam still being able to add to the side from centre.

Wouldn't mind seeing him swap positions with Peachey occasionally on attacking sets from there and acting as a first receiver. Still, whatever line-up prevails, my biggest worry on that side is the combination with Lucy struggling for the eighty in defence and putting pressure on those outside as well. We need our D there sorted first and foremost.

Couldn't help but give you an up vote if for no other reason other than the fact that you recognize that we are playing a left side and a right side half and not pigeon holing anyone as a # 6 or #7.

We play 2 halves, one on each side of the field, we just need at least one of them to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and lead this team around the park.

Whether that ends up being Doueihi, Hastings or someone else remains to be seen, but many of us would probably agree that despite Luke Brooks being a good player, running the team is probably not one of his better attributes.

@hank37w said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524077) said:
not pigeon holing anyone as a # 6 or #7.

I cannot see how giving Brooks the number 6 changes anything at all.

>we just need at least one of them to grab the game by the scruff of the neck

Exactly. Brooks can do it but he doesn't do it anywhere near consistently enough.

I'm hopeful AD doesn't go to the centres and the three halves battle it out for the 2 available spots. I think that suits AD and the team better. If 2 of the available options at centre don't step up though AD could be in the centres.

I suppose we'll find out over the course of the season.

Douehi looks good at 5/8 but somehow doesn't make Brooks, Robert's and our right side look good. He may develop but our attack has not been wearing teams down enough and I think it may be part of the issue.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at FB again just to see how he goes after playing in the line. Reckon his reads on when to chime in could be deadly and would be a better defender than Laurie. But we do waste some of his passing game that way.
Tricky. We are not a well balanced team and Madge and Sheens will have to re invent the wheel tactically to gain success.

But Sheens at least has already done this including with us so there is hope.

Douehi is not a forward and won't be for a while. He didn't have the motor to play fullback and don't think he will last even 50 minutes at lock.

Where Douehi will be is irrelevant tbh. Even though he was close to our best player last year, he wasn't able to cement the 5/8 spot. This means, he will be starting as a utility once he comes back. Only the very elite are given first shot after coming back from a long term injury and Douehi isn't that.

Let's just hope Brooks/Hastings works.

Appreciate all the chat about Adam and Stefano.
It's hard to disagree with the posts which is testament of the quality of these players and versatility of AD.
I really hope that Madge and assist coaches [and Sheens] can map out a solid career for him and not just stick him in a position that fixes the failings of coaching and or roster mismanagement.
Is it game time yet?

@stryker-69 said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523947) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523946) said:
@stryker-69 said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523943) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523941) said:
@stryker-69 said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523939) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523938) said:
@stryker-69 said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523935) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523933) said:
@pj said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523932) said:
@gnr4life said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523924) said:
@kingrobbie said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523916) said:
@gnr4life said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523913) said:
@kingrobbie said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523893) said:
@gnr4life said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523890) said:
@cktiger said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523884) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523853) said:
@fade-to-black said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1523840) said:
I don't think the forwards is a great option for a bloke with questionable defence and a history of bad injuries.
5/8 or centre.

Maybe 14

**Plenty think he’s our best player**… can’t see him sitting on the pine.

They obviously have never heard of Stefano then.

Stefano was playing reserve grade halfway through the year.

A lot of talent and our forward leader of the future if he's re-signed but Doueihi's our best player by a mile.

The forum is in meltdown mode atm at the prospect that Stefano may leave. Doueihi wouldn’t generate that same amount of anxiety. Plus very good chance Stef plays Origin this year.

Not gonna get into this debate cause I love Stefano as much as anyone but I just think Doueihi (when fit) holds the most influence over our team winning at this point in time.

Also think he'll end up playing Origin in the next 2-3 years, with this year all about slowly returning to fitness.

He’s a very good club player. That’s it.

You got no idea.

And, you do? Is that what you want us to believe?

That is not a helpful reply.
Please present your argument without playing the man.

And, you responded to @PJ with the same advice? Did I miss that?

Probably.

No, actually, I didn't miss it because it didn't happen.

But, it's ok, by your standards to offer advice to me about the tone of my comments, but not those of one of your buddies? Is that it?

Chill out son, it’s a holiday.

Well daddy, how weak must you be to be called out on here for the quality and content of your posts, and you can offer nothing more than condescending and trivial responses? All power to us, zero to you.

Nah you have got that wrong. Again.
I was calling you out pal.

Here we go again, handbags at 20 paces

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524076) said:
@adelaidetiger said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524071) said:

What about Hastings? Big voice and great kicking game.

I'd have Hastings as #14 in our best 17 at this stage, but I'm keen to see how he takes this opportunity to start in the halves.

@cobarcats said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524120) said:
Is it game time yet?

I wish.

Just another long off season and I think that it's not only me that is getting worn down and aggravated judging by some of the posts on the forum.

At least last off season was relatively short due to COVID and a late Grand Final, this off season is just going on for ever.

I know we have had injuries to some key players that will cause some set backs for us in the early parts of the season, but I also see it as an opportunity to see some of our new recruits who may not normally have been given a chance to displays their wares until much later.

Hopefully we will not see another season of serious disruptions and cancellations to the lower grades which has hampered the development and opportunities for so many young talented players for two years now.

It makes me wonder how many talented young players have walked away from the game forever due to lost opportunities and we will never know how good they would have been.

Regardless of how we finish the season, I just want to see a change of attitude from our squad that results in some whole hearted efforts and has us in most of the games that we play, for me that is my expectation for this season, anything more than that would be a bonus and a great build up for 2023.

Bring it on!

Agree Hank37w, the word that sums up you're comments is COMPETE.
If the team displays they're committed and are desperate for success then it all comes down to Madge, Sheens and co.
If the team is busting their nut week in week out and we fail then it's goodbye to Madge I'm affraid.

Locker was other way around fullback who transitioned to 6

@jedi_tiger said in [Adam Doueihi](/post/1524213) said:

Locker was other way around fullback who transitioned to 6

Yep realised that after I wrote it. I remeber arguing with my mate in early 2000s that he's going to be good at ⅝ and my mate said he should have stayed at fullback, well he ended better than good eh.
I make the assumption that at ⅝ he had positional smarts ie when to run, pass, kick, everything he did was calculated and at fullback similar to slater, very explosive.
My missus knew him which I'm still concerned about :]
I spoke to him one day at Fulcher St after training and I couldn't understand a word he was saying, his voice was so hoarse. :]

![B3FA3293-1AC2-4A2D-AE9F-0958B750B4D3.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1643267793677-b3fa3293-1ac2-4a2d-ae9f-0958b750b4d3.jpeg)

Up the front with Tamou and Madge 👀

Personally I think where AD plays in 2022 will depend upon the success of the Brooks/Hastings and how well his body holds up coming back from injury.

In the case of the latter, he might be eased back into grade playing from the bench as a utility. It might take him a while to return to his best coming off a second knee reco and it’s not uncommon for players to take a season to return to their best.

If Brooks or Hastings are in poor form then I reckon the coach will put him straight into the halves. If they’re playing well and we’re winning, AD will either slot into centres or play from the interchange.

I personally think he’s more suited to 5/8 but he plays well in the centres too. I don’t think he’s a lock at this stage of his career but wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up there in a few years time as a ball playing lock.

![Screenshot_20220127-212635_Instagram.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1643279238017-screenshot_20220127-212635_instagram.jpg)

King AD, up front.
🔥 👑

Back