Another Quick Forum Update

@gnr4life said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509609) said:
@jadtiger said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509602) said:
@spartan117 said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509600) said:
@jadtiger said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509574) said:
I do not know the situation in regards to people being banned so i really can’t comment on that but i personally have never had an issue with any moderator or forum user

Let's be very clear.

People dont get banned for disagreeing with others.

It is systemic bullying, trolling, extreme swearing, spambots or people posting stuff that may leave this privately owned site liable.

Its not a power thing at all.

As i stated the moderators do a very good but thankless job,some people will always complain about the work that they do in keeping the forum a good place for fans to talk on

It’s not a job where you will please everyone. The lack of self awareness from those who have been banned multiple times is what baffles me. It seems the more times someone has been banned, the less they believe they were part of the problem.

I've been banned multiple times and I'm aware. Are you having a dig at me?

@pj said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509631) said:
I do not know the situation in regards to people being banned so i really can’t comment on that but i personally have never had an issue with any moderator or forum user

Let's be very clear.

It is systemic bullying, trolling, extreme swearing, spambots or people posting stuff that may leave this privately owned site liable.

As i stated the moderators do a very good but thankless job,some people will always complain about the work that they do in keeping the forum a good place for fans to talk on

It’s not a job where you will please everyone. The lack of self awareness from those who have been banned multiple times is what baffles me. It seems the more times someone has been banned, the less they believe they were part of the problem.

Idk how many times you’ve been banned. It’s the obvious re-joiners who try to pass themselves off as new posters, yet somehow know all the inner workings who I was referring to.

@gnr4life said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509636) said:
@pj said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509631) said:

Let's be very clear.

Idk how many times you’ve been banned. It’s the obvious re-joiners who try to pass themselves off as new posters, yet somehow know all the inner workings who I was referring to.

?

I'm still in shock at this banter..... but I'll have my say.

On several occasions over the last however many years - I have decided freely to donate to the site (just small amounts) knowing someone has to pay for it. I don't care if @Kul makes money or not. It never bothered me. I thought it fair to contribute. I'll do my bit that I'm comfortable with and that's totally up to me.

I also never had an issue with Willow, Cochise, or any moderator. I was warned a few times but I deserved it 100%.

Im still in shock as to the carry on about all this stuff.....

I just want to point out that having just joined the discord that it's a great place full of lovely blokes that love the Wests Tigers and they definitely are not responsible for Kul getting rid of some mods.

@swordy said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509641) said:
I'm still in shock at this banter..... but I'll have my say.

On several occasions over the last however many years - I have decided freely to donate to the site (just small amounts) knowing someone has to pay for it. I don't care if @Kul makes money or not. It never bothered me. I thought it fair to contribute. I'll do my bit that I'm comfortable with and that's totally up to me.

I also never had an issue with Willow, Cochise, or any moderator. I was warned a few times but I deserved it 100%.

Im still in shock as to the carry on about all this stuff.....

42 pages and counting! Imagine if the Tigers signed a current Kangaroo 🤯

@macdougall said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509649) said:
These comments are solely my own and are in no way associated with the opinions of the discord moderators or administrators.

Please post a photo of yourself with today’s newspaper so we know you are safe. I’ve heard they are savages over there.

To anyone feeling isolated, disillusioned, upset or just a bit bummed out about all this, please don't listen to those telling you it's just a forum or to get over it. People come here for all sorts of reasons, and it's all okay, your reason is valid, despite what some random says. Please don't let their uninformed opinion on how you should live your life, affect how you live your life. They don't know you. They likely don't care either.

Good luck to @willow, @cochise (hope you stay mate), thanks to @Kul (for without you there is no WT forum).

Good luck to the new mods, I hope you work out a combined approach, whatever that may be, and work together towards the shared common goal (again whatever that may be).

@macdougall said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509649) said:
These comments are solely my own and are in no way associated with the opinions of the discord moderators or administrators.

🔪🪓

@wt2k said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509506) said:
@kul said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509496) said:
I've read a lot of these comments. It's good to see people passionate about this place; some good points have been made but I stand by the editorial decision that's been made. In response to these I have already invited Cochie to put his hand up again if he'd like to join the fresh new group.

Perhaps one of the themes in the comments in this thread has been on active participation and a collective consensus? It would seem appropriate that the new additions can help foster this culture?
Ideally it should get to a point where the entire community is able to self-moderate with minimal input required by mods. This would be the perfect world.

And in regards to revenue, as I've stated before, this place runs a yearly loss and always has. There are some busy months in the season that help balance out the off-season, yes, but across the year the balance is in the red and it's picked up by me and always has been. To be frank, with the rise of other platforms and social media trends, the site is half as busy as it used to be and that has certainly hit the bottom line! I'd invite anyone who can help change this to contact me because that would be fantastic!

@compensate is one you could get a few ideas from. Runs one of/if not the biggest WT fan Instagram pages with almost 10k followers.

Since a couple of people have already put names forward for new Mods...I'll put my suggestions in.
There are a few I would strongly suggest, but my Very Top two are @mike and @Lauren.
Two more decent, fair, sensible, articulate and intelligent people would be very hard to find.

@cultured_bogan said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509542) said:
Also, I am not sure if the forum software would allow for it, but a block function where users could block other users would be useful. I've never used the foe function but it sounds like you just don't see people's posts that you foe, and they can still see and reply to yours. A facebookesque block function would work better if you really don't want to engage with specific members for whatever reason.

The block function works well for me @Cultured_Bogan.
About 6 weeks ago I had 4 posters blocked due to their negativity 'at the time'. I still have one blocked, as this long time poster rarely has anything positive to say.

@magpies1963 said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509701) said:
Also, I am not sure if the forum software would allow for it, but a block function where users could block other users would be useful. I've never used the foe function but it sounds like you just don't see people's posts that you foe, and they can still see and reply to yours. A facebookesque block function would work better if you really don't want to engage with specific members for whatever reason.

About 6 weeks ago I had 4 posters blocked due to their negativity 'at the time'. I still have one blocked, as this long time poster rarely has anything positive to say.

Second that. I used this function as well, on one very repetitive (negative) poster. Wish i used it earlier Makes the forum more enjoyable

@the_patriot said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509208) said:
@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509186) said:
@the_patriot said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509138) said:
While i applaud the efforts of all moderators and argue they almost always moderated to the rules the trouble was that the only people being banned were those with the strong and well thought out opinions.
Becoming tired of the stale nature of this place. I found myself on Discord recently.
To my surprise here was a group of so called troublemakers all getting a long like life long friends. I guess thats what happens when they all feel they have been treated poorly by those they had looked to to validate their right to have an opinion.
It was and still is a thing of beauty. I myself have mended a few bridges and now get on well with people who i had fell out with on this forum. Why, well thats the million dollar question.

What I don't understand is - if "other types of fans" created their own way of supporting the club, and found that the new "thing" was good and worked for them, why the need to come back to the forum, or complain about the forum, or ask the owner to change the style of the forum - or any combination of those?

I mean if the Discord experience is that good for the Discorders, they can't be happy with that? I don't use the Discord because I only need / want 1 outlet for my Tigers thinking. I don't have the time or desire to manage multiple social media presences.

I believe you that there are disgruntled or disenfranchised former forum contributors. There are also hundreds or thousands of active members in the forum under it's current set up - many of those must be OK with the way it's been running. It remains to be seen if the member experience will improve or not during the next few months.

Personally I've experienced the opposite of what you are explaining. I think this Forum is a standard above any other rugby league social platform I have yet experienced. I agree sometimes the mods have been heavy-handed, but like referees, they are human and don't have their best performance every week.

I think it's a naive statement to say that only "strongly opinionated" people were being banned. I have seen a lot of petty short-term accounts come and go, starting arguments then disappearing. I'm not a mod, but I would guess the "well thought out" posters are on the minority of those banned. Truly, by definition, well thought out posts should not require moderation... otherwise they are not so well thought out.

All good in theory but yet decent contributors have fallen by the wayside.

I cant speak for the others but Discord and the like are cool and work very well for engaging with other like minded people. That said these other platforms are not the greater social community. For that people look to this place.

Im all for them wanting it to be the best it can be and for them to feel comfortable posting here.

And what about the decent contributors that no longer feel comfortable posting here?

I also use it to block whole topics that don’t really interest me as well?

@tigerwest said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509711) said:

I also use it for topics that don’t really interest me as well?

Yep, the mute topic feature is awesome

@tigerwould said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509704) said:

Second that. I used this function as well, on one very repetitive (negative) poster. Wish i used it earlier Makes the forum more enjoyable

Third that.

I'm Guner take a guess and say a lot of people are already using the block function. I tried to have a little patience with this bloke and live and let die but it was like beating a dead horse. Instead of letting him bore me into a coma I just caught the night train to paradise city and blocked him...its so easy!

@geo said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509238) said:
So the question to the forum would be is that now acceptable…?

The actual question is - is someone actually asking the rest of us what should be acceptable, or is kul just making the decision alone?

@wt2k said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509713) said:
@tigerwest said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509711) said:

I also use it for topics that don’t really interest me as well?

Yep, the mute topic feature is awesome

Didn’t know this existed - thanks.

Latest posts

Back