Ben Roberts

@alexaki said:
How about Scott Porter?..should we get him?

NOO!!
This guy has got to be one of the worst halves in the NRL. Although he does have a strong long kicking game you never want his hands on the ball at the end of a set in your opponents 20, he will without doubt kill the play. Theres a reason he can't make first grade at Cronulla.

@benjibrotown said:
@alexaki said:
How about Scott Porter?..should we get him?

NOO!!
This guy has got to be one of the worst halves in the NRL. Although he does have a strong long kicking game you never want his hands on the ball at the end of a set in your opponents 20, he will without doubt kill the play. Theres a reason he can't make first grade at Cronulla.

I think he was joking about Porter, at least I hope he was.

I don't think we need to sign another halfback for next year if we have Moltzen, Lui and Lazarus at the club. One of those 3 players will do the job. I think we should go after a really good fullback. Billy Slater. You might hate him but I would love to see him our fullback. Imagine a spine of:

1\. Slater (if Melbourne can't keep him)
6\. Marshall
7\. Moltzen (we are still undefeated with him in the 7 aren't we?) Lui and Lazarus as backup halves.
9\. Farah

@alien said:
I don't think we need to sign another halfback for next year if we have Moltzen, Lui and Lazarus at the club. One of those 3 players will do the job. I think we should go after a really good fullback. Billy Slater. You might hate him but I would love to see him our fullback. Imagine a spine of:

1\. Slater (if Melbourne can't keep him)
6\. Marshall
7\. Moltzen (we are still undefeated with him in the 7 aren't we?) Lui and Lazarus as backup halves.
9\. Farah

From what I understand Melbourne are getting rid of all of their average/good players(Hoffman, Tolman, Blair ect) in the team and keeping the big 4(Smith, Slater, Inglis and Cronk) and the young kids (O'neil, Duffie etc). So dont think we have a chance with Slater but I definately agree it would be a GREAT signing.

I wouldn't go looking for another 5/8th. We have plenty of halves at the club, they're just bloody injury prone. I have already mentioned previously in our last 19 games with either Lui or Moltz starting at half we've won 14 of them. Whilst we're winning 75% of our games with either of our first choice halfbacks I wouldn't start looking elsewhere just yet unless we're consigned to the fact that Lui or Moltzen are too much of a liability injury-wise. Anyone can do an ACL, but Robert has spent a lot of time on the sideline already, and I wouldn't be prepared to sign Cronk unless we could hold on to either Moltz or Lui if Cronk goes down with an injury.

Dont forget Lui & Moltzen are just kids with their whole career ahead of them! We have had a bad run with injuries but signing a quiality halfback doesn't solve that problem. What we do need is a quality utility. Not Fitz, but someone who is a little larger and can play anywhere at alll, then you can shuffle that player instead of making 8 positional changes because you need 1 halfback. Someone like a Dean Young. Name a position he cannot play at a good standard? Or perhaps another Dene Halatau. Worth his weight in gold. :sign:

What could we realistically offer Cronk (apart from piles of cash) that would really make him want to come here? As long as Lockyer and Thurston are playing rep footy having the aussie coach doesn't really help and we honestly don't have a winning culture as a club. The only thing we do have is the way we play which is the most exciting brand in the game when we're on song.
To me that says Cronk won't come here.

if cronk is culled i hope we will be in the race with every other team.
but they would be silly to get rid of cronk.

i suggest if they have to shed the big 4 it will be

1\. Inglis
2\. Slater
3\. Smith
4\. Cronk

@izotope said:
if cronk is culled i hope we will be in the race with every other team.
but they would be silly to get rid of cronk.

i suggest if they have to shed the big 4 it will be

1\. Inglis
2\. Slater
3\. Smith
4\. Cronk

I think:
1.Slater
2.Inglis
3.Cronk
4.Smith

Back