Benji Marshall #70

Jay

I just wanted to make a post, I have alot of emotions going through. As a kid I used to go watch Magpies games with my dad and I liked it but it wasn't exciting. I then followed Wests Tigers. Same deal. But it was when this guy came in, Benji, he was like Jordan to me. He made my love for the whole game go up so much. I have so much love for him. Like Jordan, he took a team considered constant duds and they got a premiership. He is extremely likeable to me. He was a breath of fresh air. It's hard to know he is going, and i wonder if I will ever like a player so much again, its hard to imagine.

I LOVE YOU BENJI!!!!!!!!!!

Like many people here, I agree that the time may come for Marshall to retire. However, my issue is, he is much better than Mbye and JR. But somehow we keep both of them??
IMHO, ALL of them shall not be with the WT for the next season!

@Jay said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219908) said:
I just wanted to make a post, I have alot of emotions going through. As a kid I used to go watch Magpies games with my dad and I liked it but it wasn't exciting. I then followed Wests Tigers. Same deal. But it was when this guy came in, Benji, he was like Jordan to me. He made my love for the whole game go up so much. I have so much love for him. Like Jordan, he took a team considered constant duds and they got a premiership. He is extremely likeable to me. He was a breath of fresh air. It's hard to know he is going, and i wonder if I will ever like a player so much again, its hard to imagine.

I loved him too! To be honest I probably loved Brett Hodgson even more, but yeah Benji was genuinely exciting, I'm sure he attracted many fans to our club. And he was a good communicator too, and seemed like a good, intelligent, genuine bloke.

While I do think his time had come, it would be good to have a thread focusing on the many, many positives he brought to our club and our game.

@TillLindemann said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219922) said:
@Jay said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219908) said:

I loved him too! To be honest I probably loved Brett Hodgson even more, but yeah Benji was genuinely exciting, I'm sure he attracted many fans to our club. And he was a good communicator too, and seemed like a good, intelligent, genuine bloke.

While I do think his time had come, it would be good to have a thread focusing on the many, many positives he brought to our club and our game.

Well said this forum should be about the positives, appreciate giving the Tigers a brand with two merged clubs with a quality player that gave his all for many years.

Agree with the club a 2nd time like 2013 that its time to move on for your own legacy i hope you retire gracefully.

Benji thanks for all the great memories you have given us. You are much loved and admired throughout the NRL and other sports. I am sure that your next step following NRL retirement will hold you in great stead throughout the Australian sporting community. I would also like to thank you for your great work in charity. Well done Benji.

It’ll be sad when he’s gone but imo his time is up with us ..
He’ll probably get picked up by another club and play semis next year 😂

Good luck Benji !

To my favourite Tiger ever, thankyou!!
I'll always cherish and respect your time with us.
Not many get to reach the dizzying heights that you have and no player was as mesmerising to watch.
You were a constant source of inspiration to fans, teammates and players alike and for that you should feel proud - you've cemented one of greatest legacies in the game and your silky skills rewrote the history and rule books.
You'll always be a legend in my eyes.
Love you Benji and best wishes Xxxx

Benji didn’t take the bait on NRL360. Pretty much crapped on all the media speculation from yesterday & today. Crawley finding it hard to accept hahahahaha

Spoke extremely well and showed all types of class even though you could see he was frustrated

@Aesopian said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219976) said:
Benji didn’t take the bait on NRL360. Pretty much crapped on all the media speculation from yesterday & today. Crawley finding it hard to accept hahahahaha

They were certainly trying very hard to put words in his mouth. Typical medium decorum asking questions trying to get Benji to trash his fellow players.

Can’t believe the magic has come to an end but it is time. There will never be another Benji Marshall. An inspiration to kids learning the game and a tonic for long suffering fans to feel excited about winning and exceeding all expectations. Oh how I miss that 05 feeling! I wish we could have sent you out a winner, but you already are. You have that grand final ring. All the best Benji you were and are one of the best. Respect.

@Aesopian said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219976) said:

Paul Kent thought he was a hard hitting journo on 60 minutes 😂
Tracy Grimshaw has that douche bag covered 😂

Without doubt the most exciting player to ever play the game.
Some of my best memories are watching him play. I’m not sure if I’ll ever see a another player like him.a player that completely changes the game
I remember wearing my tigers jersey to a mufti day at school in 2004,I was only in year 8 at the time and had Panthers fans from years 11 & 12 coming up to me laughing and saying ‘bottom three’
The next year when I wore it,kids were coming up to me saying Benji was their favourite player 😂
Every single person at footy training for a year straight was mimicking his step and haircuts.
When we won the comp him and Shane Elford came to the ground with the trophy 🏆 let us hold it and kicked bombed to us and spent an hour playing tough footy.there was only about 5 kids there to,which made it even more special.
I just hope he ends up at the tigers in some role in the next few years 💕

Good. See ya Benji. Hope he goes to the broncos. I'd love to see them miss the 8 again. Loved him back in the day when he was a bit of a magician. Laughed at his rubbish at the dragons, despaired at the return to the tigers. If only he was half as good as he considers himself to be.

Our best at the West’s Tigers legend of the club. Time is over he should retire and I doubt another club will sign him with rosters coming down to 28. Farah did it last year it’s the way to go.

@InBenjiWeTrust said in [Benji Marshall](/post/1219921) said:
Like many people here, I agree that the time may come for Marshall to retire. However, my issue is, he is much better than Mbye and JR. But somehow we keep both of them??
IMHO, ALL of them shall not be with the WT for the next season!

I love Benji as well however his time really has come but unfortunately for him it is like a game of musical chairs. 2020 ends and the player in the halves without a contract goes - I honestly believe if we could have had someone take JR or packer or anyone Benji would have gotten another year.

Benji its been a tremendous ride as supporters we have marvelled at your skills its time to finish and go out as we remember you Im sure you will not be lost to WT'S

Some of best days of footy ever with family and friends were spent watching Benji. One of the most influential players of the modern era both on and off the field and will always be considered.a legend in our home.

He has been a brilliant player at times over the years, but he has also been maligned because when he's on, he's one of the best players to have played the game in the last 20 years. When he's been off, well you wonder how one player could be so hot and cold. He'll go down as one of WT Greats though and deservedly so.

Back