BEST POM IMPORT FOR TIGERS AND MAGPIES

Blackpearl

thoughts on best pommie imports, there have been a few over the years, to have played for balmain, wests and weststigers.

1\. the black pearl, ellery hanley
2\. gareth ellis
3\. david bolton
4\. lee crooks
5\. dave topliss

honorable mention, even though he was south african, len killeen.

definitely for that era hanley was a gun of an import.

ellis has been sensational since arriving, his form has only gotten better.

i wouldnt swap him for anyone else, the best import we've had.

1\. Ellis
2\. DAYLIGHT
3\. Hanley
DAYLIGHT, NIGHTIME, DAYLIGHT
4\. Harvey Howard
5\. Offiah

Gary Schofield was awesome for Balmain. He played for the Magpies too didn't he?

Yes Gary did play for both, he joined Ellery at the Magpies in 1989 when the Wests went on a mini spending spree, Andy Currier was good for Balmain in 1989 when they missed out on Schofield and Hanley.
But what about some of the more infamous one's, Shaun Edwards and Tony Myler at Balmain and Deryk Fox and was it Kelvin Skerrett at the Magpies who were a waste of an airfare.

Hanley was a sensational player.

I can't compare Gareth to Ellery because Hanley was a player who would win you games like Benji can. Gareth is more of a rock.

Gareth and Sironen are very similiar players. Sironen was a great player and I think Gareth may be at that level.

Hard call to compare the two. Ellery vs. Gareth???

Ellery was a master of the game and could win you games in attack and defense.

We probably havent seen the best of Gareth yet, and while his is known for his workrate and defence, I think we will see plenty of linebreaks and tries from Ellis as his time goes on…

Dont compare, just enjoy!!!
:sign:

Andy Currier had an absolutely tremendous 10 or so weeks in 89\. Then did SFA afterwards.

edit: Currier. I knew it looked wrong.

@towntiger said:
1\. Ellis
2\. DAYLIGHT
3\. Hanley
DAYLIGHT, NIGHTIME, DAYLIGHT
4\. Harvey Howard
5\. Offiah

I respect that u have Ellis ahead of Hanley but to say theres daylight in between is a bit rich.

For me i'd have

1.Hanley
2.Schofield
3.Ellis

@Leroy The Tigers Fan said:
But what about some of the more infamous one's, Shaun Edwards and Tony Myler at Balmain and Deryk Fox and was it Kelvin Skerrett at the Magpies who were a waste of an airfare.

Not wrong…

@Kaiser said:
What about Brian Lockwood… he played in the 70's, not a bad prop.....

Yeah he did, he used to bludge down the blindside all the time…

Lee Crooks was another, went well at wests not sure about his tigers stint. Any old maggie remember Hew Reece(spelling) in about 85/86? Welsh player I think.

@jirskyr said:
Andy Currier had an absolutely tremendous 10 or so weeks in 89\. Then did SFA afterwards.

edit: Currier. I knew it looked wrong.

Currier was great till he was found out to be a turnstile in defence which in the end I believe cost Balmain a premiership. I still remember all the talk about his defence then when I saw him run out with shoulder pads I remember rolling my eyes thinking he should have bought a ticker instead of pads.

Shaun Edwards might not have been the best but he was a very handy player to have in our team. I really liked him.

IMO Big difference was while those earlier blokes came over here and then had to learn to tackles, the blokes that come over now Ellis, Burgess can really hit in defence. Ellis definately was the best buy of the lot, as while most in the early days came over to earn more money, Ellis could have earnt twice as much (with exchange rate) by staying at home so to get him over here in his peak was a real coup. Scary thing is in an interview with Morley on SkySports earlier in the year he said the imports take a while to adjust to conditions and their 3rd year is their best, how is he going to be better next year???

Latest posts

Back