Brandon Wakeham #267

Puts his body on the line defensively and has a serviceable kicking game.

The issue for me is his attack. He rarely take the line on, doesn’t dig into the line before passing as well. I would think teams know that Wakeham will pass early meaning the focus are on his ball runners and makes it easy to defend.

Without a running game, he is no threat with ball in hand. Defences need to worried about whether he will pass, run or kick. In this instance 2/3 is a fail.
Sounds like a Brooks clone to me

Wakeham is playing really well as to what he can do and so you can't criticise him but that doesent mean his standard is enough

I reckon he is going great but he didn't have a contract at the start of the season.

I reckon he is going great but he didn't have a contract at the start of the season.
My thoughts: I consider Wakeham as a halfback only, but playing out of position because Sheenius wont move Brooks from half and trained the whole pre-season that way. Had faith in Brooks and backed him with his own credibility.
But Brooks, while doing his utmost to be the best, just has not been able to control attacking in the last 20m.
The main reason why not resigned at the moment, but Sheenius wont openly say this as detrimental to his player coaching or judgement of players.
No one is right all the time! But team harmony is at play. Hence shopping around for a halves combo.
Brooks, hopefully would be better suited to 5/8 and Wakeham the half. Takes pressure off Brooks. and maybe gives him more room to move and more time to think?

Wakeham is playing really well as to what he can do and so you can't criticise him but that doesent mean his standard is enough

That's how I see it. He is doing a good job that you hope a back up half will do. He is a better player than I thought and I would be happy to re-sign him as a back up half for next season.

That being said, we badly need someone who is more threatening in some way. Brandon doesn't ask any questions of the defence with either his running game all his ball playing at the line. I think it's time to try Laurie. His running game is unpredictable for the defense, so he will at least provide some sort of spark.

Wakeham has justified his NRL contract, if nothing else.

His combination with Brooks has been better than the Brooks-Doueihi combination so far.

Brooks & Wakeham are annoyingly similar in their limitations.

Wakeham has taken his share of the general field kicking, which is relieving pressure from Brooks. Additionally, his goal kicking looks good.

The more Bula develops, the better Brooks has looked. Given time I wonder if Wakeham experiences similar growth.

I believe better line running out wide will benefit BOTH Brooks & Wakeham.

If we cannot sign BETTER halves for next season, I expect these 2 will continue to offer reasonable performances. Surrounded by better talent, they look better. The more players like Papali'i, Bateman, Kepoua, Pole, Blore, To'a, Talau & Naden attack GAPS instead of just running, the better Brooks & wakeham will look.

It seems likely that Brooks is the running option with Wakeham more the scheming option.

Considering this bloke was effectively on the scrap heap only 4 months ago, was bought as a desperate backup to Brooks and Doueihi after our real targets weren’t signing on and we’d released two halves over the off season and then was dropped in the deep end before he even learned his team mates names….he is doing a great job.
His head should be spinning, but he appears calm and composed. Plenty of mistakes in him, but plenty of good stuff too. Very happy for him and look forward to seeing how much more we can get out of him because one thing is for sure - he is a footballer.

Considering this bloke was effectively on the scrap heap only 4 months ago, was bought as a desperate backup to Brooks and Doueihi after our real targets weren’t signing on and we’d released two halves over the off season and then was dropped in the deep end before he even learned his team mates names….he is doing a great job.
His head should be spinning, but he appears calm and composed. Plenty of mistakes in him, but plenty of good stuff too. Very happy for him and look forward to seeing how much more we can get out of him because one thing is for sure - he is a footballer.

Definitely driving his value up
Extension coming soon

I said this at the time we signed him, his best is very good.

His problem is the gap between his best and worst moments.

Not comparing...but another state cup half in Madden will basically give you 5 out of 10 in the NRL every week. Do his job, nothing flash...nothing too crazy.

Wakeham is that rare back up who can give you the 9/10 moments like an elite half. His problem is he can then throw in a 2/10.

He is still young, especially for a half, and is showing signs of maturing. His last two games have been his best in his NRL career IMO.

Add in goal kicking, and he is excellent value as your third string half...and he may well keep maturing and be a long term starter.

He was good last night and his goal kicking was faultless. Don't know what to make of him going forward. Did the job last night that's all you can ask of any player

Last edited:
After watching Brandon running, he should be be put through some sprint training in the off-season. He had a great game but when he made a break Ennis said it looked like someone turned the treadmill up :)

Got to give credit where its due, i didnt think much of his signing but he's done well, very well in patches. He's been a good foil for Brooks and they seem to have built a little bit of a combo. When you consider he'd be on close to minimum wage he's given us a lot of bang for our buck and seems to be improving week on week.

Back