Brent Naden #256

I honestly don't care if it was used offensively in 1897. It is not currently 1897. Countless terms were offensive historically that aren't anymore. Do you get all up in arms over the word 'bugger' because it was historically homophobic?
A poor koori player can't sign with us and be judged on his talents without people going crazy over this sort of stuff. It is childish and ridiculous.
‘Walkabout’ for many First Nations people is a contentious word and considered an archaic colonial term. Its use by non-Aboriginal people is considered inappropriate.
Groups such as Reconciliation Queensland Inc advise against its use when discussing First Nations cultures. [11]

Source: Appropriate words & terminology for First Nations topics - Creative Spirits, retrieved from https://www.creativespirits.info/ab...appropriate-terminology-for-aboriginal-topics

Context is very important.

The 'Walk-about' is perhaps, in its ultimate results, one of the most important institutions in vogue among the aboriginals, and yet one on account of which their white brethren will, as often as not, hold them up to ridicule and contempt. To the settlers it is considered in the light of an excuse for a holiday or for shirking the work upon which the blacks would otherwise be employed.
— Walter E. Roth, Ethnological Studies Among the North-west-central Queensland Aborigines, 1897

Are we living in the settlers days?
The people I hear use that word the most are indigenous fellas.
We have mandated quotas up here for the inclusion of indigenous personal in your workforce. We live together, work together and play together. I know what I’m talking about.

For example, it could be a Wednesday morning, Charlie and Daryl haven’t shown to the tool box and I’ll say where are they? The white guys will make up excuses to cover for them and the black fellas will laugh and say “they’ll be back cuz, just gone walkabout for a little while” A week later they’ll surface again and bring some crabs and fish in to work to apologise.
Thats a true story by the way…those bastards 🤣🤣🤣

Are we living in the settlers days?
The people I hear use that word the most are indigenous fellas.
We have mandated quotas up here for the inclusion of indigenous personal in your workforce. We live together, work together and play together. I know what I’m talking about.

For example, it could be a Wednesday morning, Charlie and Daryl haven’t shown to the tool box and I’ll say where are they? The white guys will make up excuses to cover for them and the black fellas will laugh and say “they’ll be back cuz, just gone walkabout for a little while” A week later they’ll surface again and bring some crabs and fish in to work to apologise.
Thats a true story by the way…those bastards 🤣🤣🤣
It is an important part of Aboriginal culture visiting family. But it is inappropriate for non-Aboriginals to use as it carries with it negative connotations which make people feel badly about themselves. It's like bullying in the workplace, if the victim believes he or she is being bullied then the behaviour constitutes bullying.

‘Walkabout’ for many First Nations people is a contentious word and considered an archaic colonial term. Its use by non-Aboriginal people is considered inappropriate.
Groups such as Reconciliation Queensland Inc advise against its use when discussing First Nations cultures. [11]

Source: Appropriate words & terminology for First Nations topics - Creative Spirits, retrieved from https://www.creativespirits.info/ab...appropriate-terminology-for-aboriginal-topics
Hard to keep up with everything... Never knew it was offensive until lately... I think originally it wasn't offensive it was an aboriginal looking for food and that's how I still see it
Gay meant something like happy when I was a kid but over time that's changed

I can guarantee you that precious white inner city types get a lot more offended over it, on behalf of Aboriginal people, than Aboriginal people do themselves. And this patronising 'I'll get offended on behalf of another race for them because I know what's best', is far more racist than innocent use of a harmless word like walkabout.

no doubting Naden's attacking ability when he's switched on and in good form. I'm hopeful that he can recapture that quickly. defensively speaking, Cayless has been able to turn a bunch of our defenders from being turnstiles into walls. let's hope Naden has a similar transformation.

at worst he's depth in a position we sorely needed to strengthen. at best, he is an electric outside back with the ability to break a game wide open out of nothing.

It is an important part of Aboriginal culture visiting family. But it is inappropriate for non-Aboriginals to use as it carries with it negative connotations which make people feel badly about themselves. It's like bullying in the workplace, if the victim believes he or she is being bullied then the behaviour constitutes bullying.
What are you basing this opinion off? What knowledge do you have on the topic? My business has contracts across the top end. We work in remote communities. We don’t just drop in, drop out either. When we go we go for weeks. We live there.
Im not speaking on anyones behalf but from my life experience, with a huge sample size, my opinion is that they don’t give a shit about this sort of crap. They are not as thin skinned and as sensitive as some of you portray.
Maybe those closer to the cities are? I wouldn’t know.

no doubting Naden's attacking ability when he's switched on and in good form. I'm hopeful that he can recapture that quickly. defensively speaking, Cayless has been able to turn a bunch of our defenders from being turnstiles into walls. let's hope Naden has a similar transformation.

at worst he's depth in a position we sorely needed to strengthen. at best, he is an electric outside back with the ability to break a game wide open out of nothing.
This is true.
He is a big fella, raw boned, fast and aggressive.
Defence is attitude. He fits in with the boys, we can work on it.

I can guarantee you that precious white inner city types get a lot more offended over it, on behalf of Aboriginal people, than Aboriginal people do themselves. And this patronising 'I'll get offended on behalf of another race for them because I know what's best', is far more racist than innocent use of a harmless word like walkabout.
It's NRW from May 27. Part of that initiative is our daily actions to assist in reconciliation. Why go there when you know at least two members on this forum were upset by its use?

What are you basing this opinion off? What knowledge do you have on the topic? My business has contracts across the top end. We work in remote communities. We don’t just drop in, drop out either. When we go we go for weeks. We live there.
Im not speaking on anyones behalf but from my life experience, with a huge sample size, my opinion is that they don’t give a shit about this sort of crap. They are not as thin skinned and as sensitive as some of you portray.
Maybe those closer to the cities are? I wouldn’t know.
Stryker, have you ever considered attending a sensitivity workshop?

You’re the one labelling people.
Were your feelings that hurt, or are you the troll?
I’ve put forward my points and you’re the one trolling and trying to stir things up. As I said before I come here to talk footy not read racist dribble like before.

Latest posts

Back