Centre's star shines - Rhys Pritchard

Sabre

**Centre's star shines**
AFTER a week off competition in the NSW Cup, due to the upcoming State of Origin representative fixture in Brisbane on Wednesday night, the Wests Magpies are celebrating selection of their elusive points-scoring centre Rhys Pritchard in the NSW Residents team which will take on the Queensland Residents as the curtain-raiser to the State of Origin clash.
>
The selectors sat down to choose a team representative of the best the NSW Cup, Bundaberg Cup and Country Rugby League competitions have to offer.
\
\
Magpies chairman Kevin Hammond was ecstatic at receiving the news that Pritchard had been selected for the NSW Residents team.
\
\
``It's fantastic for both Rhys and Wests that he has achieved this much-deserved selection,'' he said.
\
\
``Rhys has been a consistent stand-out performer for the club since his arrival here this season, and the fact that he is currently leading the try-scoring list for the NSW Cup with 14 tries is testament to the quality football he has been producing.''
\
\
It has also come to pass that a number of other Wests Magpies' players were under consideration for the team, in particular fullback and Magpies' junior Shannon Gallant who has recently been recalled to first-grade duties with Wests Tigers.
\
\
``It's ironic, really, that Shannon should get recalled to first grade just at the time when he was a shoe-in for selection as the fullback in the Residents Team,'' Mr Hammond said.
\
\
``A change in selection policy by the NSWRL, that players currently required for NRL first-grade duties should not be selected, has meant that Shannon was ineligible to take his place in the Residents Team.''
\
\
The recruitment of Pritchard to the Magpies from the Sydney Roosters/Newtown Jets clubs for the 2009 season has turned out to be a win-win situation for both the player and the club.
\
\
In a recent chat with Hammond regarding extending his contract with the Magpies, Pritchard commented that he was enjoying his time with Wests and feels more at home and settled at the Magpies than he has felt at any other club.

From Camden Advertiser

Well done Rhys.

Keep your form up and an NRL appearance is a stones throw away.

Hopefully he has a strong game tonight and does get his chance in FG. He's quick across the ground and obviously has no trouble scoring tries.

This kid is a rare talent, ive watched him all year,big strong, robust,has a great step off both feet,and very fast…i believe he played 5/8 as a junior, but now much suited in the centres...

@alex said:
Obviously Sheens sees Daniella & Brown Pritchard :frowning:

\
\
Exactly.

I can name 5 or 6 Wests and Balmain RE backs better than Daniela and Brown.

@Balmain Bug said:
@alex said:
Obviously Sheens sees Daniella & Brown Pritchard :frowning:

\
\
Exactly.

I can name 5 or 6 Wests and Balmain RE backs better than Daniela and Brown.

I'd say those backs are also better than Tupou

Daniella played terrible today,,let in 4 tries down his side,,why would the tigers sign him, when we have Pritchard , Davis and Akepira all in top form..???

@tomcat said:
Daniella played terrible today,,let in 4 tries down his side,,why would the tigers sign him, when we have Pritchard , Davis and Akepira all in top form..???

Well yeah, why would we sign him since he can't crack FG for Penrith? Bit mystifying as Davis, Pritchard and Akeripa are playing good football for Wests yet can't get a go. Be nice to know what Sheens thinks of those players.

mate these guys are peaking now, and are playing for contracts,seriously dont know what more they have to do to get a first grade gig..

@willow said:
@tomcat said:

Well yeah, why would we sign him since he can't crack FG for Penrith? Bit mystifying as Davis, Pritchard and Akeripa are playing good football for Wests yet can't get a go. Be nice to know what Sheens thinks of those players.

Daniela had a lot of help…but I can't see how or what Sheens sees in signing him when he has at his disposal the best of Wests and BRET......It makes no sense he must have been dirt cheap ....Davis, Everingham and Pritchard played all over them....Rhys had a fairly quiet game but that's cause the Wolves where so pathetic down the left side....

Akeripa does deserve special mention too the more I think about the game...Huge handful in attack...did the hard stuff in defence....scored and set up tries out wide......He's got to be mighty close to first grade if Sheens is fair dinkum.....

Oh Daniela made 2 good tackles got into the clear once and was mowed down by that's right Akeripa....

Rhys had a quiet game because the ball never got out to him,,walters at 5/8 hoggs the ball to much..rhys is a centre and since being put on the wing ,like i said ,isnt getting quality ball..

@tomcat said:
Rhys had a quiet game because the ball never got out to him,,walters at 5/8 hoggs the ball to much..rhys is a centre and since being put on the wing ,like i said ,isnt getting quality ball..

Pritchard was still all class did some special things…Pies just carved up and scored before it needed to get to him....

I've been calling for him to take Ryan's spot...if anything happens to Ayshford i'd give it to Rhys ahead of Collis...He'd go great at centre in first grade i agree...

@Geo. said:
@tomcat said:

Pritchard was still all class did some special things…Pies just carved up and scored before it needed to get to him....

I've been calling for him to take Ryan's spot...if anything happens to Ayshford i'd give it to Rhys ahead of Collis...He'd go great at centre in first grade i agree...

Well apparently Sheens made the call to have Rhys play on the wing so maybe he's looking at using him before the season ends?

I agree cannot understand why Pritchard and Davis haven't been signed up.They combine well are strong and powerful centres. Pritchard is not a winger and as previous comments state when he gets his hands on the ball he makes it happen. I believe he played most of his early football and represented state junior sides as a 5/8\. Love to see him given a go in that position, think he would be devastating.
I am impressed with Davis, he has NRL written all over him.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back