Chris Lawrence confirms his staying at the tigers

tigersrule4life

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-04/interview-chris-lawrence/4864036?section=sport

He confirmed it after the game today.

That's all we need more bad news !
There are front rowers quicker than Lawrence at the moment. It was difficult to watch today when he made his break.

All we can hope for is that whatever is wrong with him gets better during the offseason and he comes back in 2014 a better player than what he showed this year.. What's doing with his terrible defensive reads this year??????

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

A good off season and hope he gets some form back. With brooks coming in the team he might just start to play some good footy. But do agree he has to step up. I think he will improve. I hope.

@smoking gun said:
His defence has always been terrible.

I've always said the same. For all the mon believers, just watch the tapes.

@smoking gun said:

Yep Unless they run straight at hm he has always been evens to miss the tackle. head on defence is strong but lateral is now almost non existant.

@tigermaniac said:
@smoking gun said:

I always thought his D prior to his hip injury was very good….. Maybe I was watching the wrong Lawrence.....

He's obviously not where he used to be. He has always had a bulky frame but since his injury it appears to be hampering him somewhat. The question now is do we use the off season to maybe drop some weight that will hopefully bring some of his speed and agility back, or do we bulk him up for a move to the backrow (where we've already got quite good depth .. and do we really need another small backrower?).

He needs to find something quick.

@alexaki said:
@tigermaniac said:
@smoking gun said:

I always thought his D prior to his hip injury was very good….. Maybe I was watching the wrong Lawrence.....

The houch can do that to you.

@tigermaniac said:
@alexaki said:
@tigermaniac said:
@" said:

The houch can do that to you.

Yes he has always had issues defensively in the centres. I not 100% sure but I think he played a lot of 6 when he was younger so this may have contributed but I'm not sure
I do remember defense has always been an issue for him. Gets caught out a lot.

Maybe putting him next to Fulton ? A change could do him well. Simona is usually a left center just an opinion?..

Would be nice if they could fix it. Like wow when he hits he hits hard but he needs to actually get his man. This is what annoys me about our club. We have problems but seem incapable of fixing them.
Moltzen under bombs (improved this year… Finally)
Marshall (where to start)
Lawrence rushing up
BMM's hands
Rhino hit and spin
Blair giving penalties
Just a few that come to mind in the last two years alone.

There's some bleeding obvious flaws in our game that even the fans know we could fix - I know there's more to it and our problems run deeper but it'd be nice to iron out some pretty simple fundamentals and make it less frustrating to watch.

On topic, as I've said before I think Rowdy will come good. He needs some confidence and a good offseason conditioning to get flying again.

@smoking gun said:

I'll agree when he started he was awful, but at his peak before the hip dislocation he wasn't a huge liability, he was reasonably safe. Sadly thats not currently the case.

I'll be honest, I am sort of glad Chris is going to stay.

I'll admit to bagging him and calling for him to be dropped at various times, he certainly hasn't been up to NRL standard for a while….but dammit I still like him. I just can't help but think with a decent stint free from chronic niggles he could still be the player we all remember.

Call me a dreamer, but I still want to believe.

@LaT said:
I'll be honest, I am sort of glad Chris is going to stay.

I'll admit to bagging him and calling for him to be dropped at various times, he certainly hasn't been up to NRL standard for a while….but dammit I still like him. I just can't help but think with a decent stint free from chronic niggles he could still be the player we all remember.

Call me a dreamer, but I still want to believe.

I understand people have a lot of affiliation with Benji but for me Chrissy has been my fab player. I would be sadder to see him go than Robbie or Benji

@LaT said:
@smoking gun said:

I'll agree when he started he was awful, but at his peak before the hip dislocation he wasn't a huge liability, he was reasonably safe. Sadly thats not currently the case.

This is how I remember it

He was pretty bad at first, but kept improving bit by bit, and at his peak he was a real defensive asset… Almost always made the right decisions

I had high hopes but its not looking like he's going to get back to his best

He's a good tackler, but a terrible defender. There is a difference.

He has the uncanny ability to find himself between attacking players, and always choosing the guy on the inside, who is generally someone else's.

One of the many tries today- they were coming at him, he came in (and missed everyone) & I saw Anasta coming across in the backplay blowing up because Lawrence came in on his guy instead of staying on his own guy. Just a typical Lawrence defensive lapse.

As for his lost speed- I can live with that. Not all outside backs are fast. So long as he runs good lines & can set up his supports, he's fine. Terry Hill made a career out of being a slow centre, as has Justin Hodges.

Back