Clubs chase Laurie as Tigers stand him down from firsts

bonstonker

WESTS TIGERS cult figure Daine Laurie is considering seeking a release from the final year of his contract after being constantly overlooked for NRL selection.

As many as six clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the potentially devastating prop, who turns 25 today, including Wayne Bennett’s Dragons, who have lost Justin Poore to the Eels next season.

Laurie has played just 10 of a possible 18 matches this year and is unlikely to return to the NRL within the next four weeks after being sanctioned for failing to show up to a training session last month.

Laurie’s manager, Chris Haddad, met with coach Tim Sheens on Friday where it’s understood he requested an upgrade of Laurie’s bottom-tier, $45,000-a-year contract to remain. But a source close to the Tigers’ camp said the club was reluctant to do so because he’s yet to prove himself as a regular first-grader.

The Tigers have said they want to develop him into a back-rower next season, but a source close to Laurie said he was disappointed by the club’s stance and was considering asking for a release in coming weeks.

When contacted by The Sun-Herald, Laurie said he was a ‘‘frustrated’’ spectator but declined to comment on his contract situation. ‘‘Tim said Daine definitely has a future at the club and that he wants to keep him, but he wants him to play NSW Cup to learn how to play second row,’’ Haddad said.

‘‘Daine’s happy at the club but he wants to be playing first grade on a regular basis. He considers himself NRL standard. There are quite a few clubs interested in him but we’ll hold talks with the Tigers again in a few weeks before we look in to that.’’

Laurie is believed to be excited at the prospect of being coached by Bennett after seeing how he transformed Michael Weyman from a fringe first-grader into a State of Origin star in the space of an off-season.

Laurie was expected to return for tomorrow night’s clash with the Sea Eagles after being dropped for the past fortnight for failing to show to a training session last month.

Laurie is believed to have texted Toyota Cup coach Peter Gentle to explain he was staying at home, sick, rather than fronting training or calling Sheens, leading Tigers officials to believe he may have been hungover after players were given the all clear to have a rare drink on the Sunday.

He was then allegedly told he’d be stood down for the remainder of the season if he didn’t produce a doctor’s certificate – which he did – leading to discussions between his manager and the club.

Obviously he feels he is not learning much under Fonzie.
I have said so many times before, we need to employ Roach or Glenn Lazarus fulltime to teach these blokes.

Laffranchi said the same thing when he went to the Gold Coast about the WT.

Well, here's hoping this story is just that, a story, and we don't lose him as he's got great potential. As for NRL standard…...

Might just explain his pathetic performance for the Magpies yesterday as well…...never a bigger passanger have i seen at a game ...Yes worse than T'eo...time to harden up Daine....if that's your dummy spit then prove Sheens wrong.....if not then bugger off.....Hope you become a superstar....

Bug....Don't you think a players attitude and mental toughness....... refusal to listen to the Coach cause they know best....Might have something to do with their lack of Development....The other Wests prop playing first grade seems to think that way.....

Huh...When did Gentle take back the 20's.....

Really we need to keep laurie interested in our club still at this point of time.

I think we may regret it if he goes.

They want him to learn to play second row ? Well he has only been used as a wide running second rower for about 10 mins in the last two weeks.

Let me get this right. Laurie on 40k, Gallant 20k, the likes of Trimarchi, Dunley, Ayshford, Hanbury, Tagive, Lazarus on a minimum wage top 25 contract. Where the hell is the money going then when one third of your top 25 is on 55k or less ?

Laurie is believed to be excited at the prospect of being coached by Bennett after seeing how he transformed Michael Weyman from a fringe first-grader into a State of Origin star in the space of an off-season.

Laurie was expected to return for tomorrow night’s clash with the Sea Eagles after being dropped for the past fortnight for failing to show to a training session last month.

Laurie is believed to have texted Toyota Cup coach Peter Gentle to explain he was staying at home, sick, rather than fronting training or calling Sheens, leading Tigers officials to believe he may have been hungover after players were given the all clear to have a rare drink on the Sunday.

He was then allegedly told he’d be stood down for the remainder of the season if he didn’t produce a doctor’s certificate – which he did – leading to discussions between his manager and the club.

firstly …michael weyman has always had the potential ,,it was injury that slowed his progress....
as for laurie,imo he is too imature at this stage and if we lose him , i doubt very much that he would come back and bite us on the bum ....
if he is nrl standard he should be killing it for the maggies ......

Was he that bad GT?

I read in the paper today that he hasnt been turning up to training either so how can they pick him.

Hes obviously digging a hole for himself.

Watched him play yesterday,he was just sticking out his hand in an attempt to make tackles.played ok in patches ,but in the big picture,,NO…

It would seem the talk of teaching Daine to play as a wide running second rower is off the mark too as he has been named to play prop for the Magpies over the last couple of weeks. The other thing is the difference of opinion in Daine believing he is ready for FG each week and Sheens believing he needs more time in State Cup. I like to see Daine named in the FG side each week, but we all know he has big issues when it comes to reading the play in defence and attack. Defence is his biggest issue, he can put any player on their backside but when he gets caught retreating back to the defensive line it becomes a problem. And he gets used as a decoy in attack more often than not, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since he is the biggest player at the Tigers.

And if he is not turning up to training, well that's something Daine needs to address. If he wants to get back into FG, then turn up to training, do the little things right and put in some effort in the State Cup games. He didn't have any problem standing out when he first arrived on the scene last year and was keen to play.

Unless we have more injuries in the forward pack it doesn't sound like we will see Daine in FG again this season. If this happens then I won't be surprised to see him playing for someone else next year.

i get the feeling he is surrouding himself with the wrong people.

he came into first grade with a big wraps on his determination and catching multiple trains to training and so forth.

then during pre season he had a poor off season and now during the season the work ethic is missing.

i was very excited about him last year,this year he has been the biggest dissapointment about this season for me.
he still turns his back on plays less than 10 yards away from him and to now hear he isn't doing much in reggies has me wondering what has brought about this change in attitude.

if this report is 100% accurate i hope someone gets in his ear and tells him that to become a rep player after an off season you have to actually put in the work . :unamused:

@tiger4ever said:
Was he that bad GT?

I read in the paper today that he hasnt been turning up to training either so how can they pick him.

Hes obviously digging a hole for himself.

Yes…In more than a few sets of six he produced 0 tackles...Handed the Wolves 12 points ...that and the inept ref....He made Jono Rolfe look like a super star....just watched him run past....Dropped the ball 3 times and gave away 2 penalties....sterling performance....

@Staks said:
They want him to learn to play second row ? Well he has only been used as a wide running second rower for about 10 mins in the last two weeks.

Let me get this right. Laurie on 40k, Gallant 20k, the likes of Trimarchi, Dunley, Ayshford, Hanbury, Tagive, Lazarus on a minimum wage top 25 contract. Where the hell is the money going then when one third of your top 25 is on 55k or less ?

:laughing: Come on Staks 40k is overs based on yesterdays performance….We all know to that is the base salary with incentives built in, number of FG games rep honours, turning up to training etc...Laurie needs to be in the second row when Nu makes his debut later this year....

Spend Laurie's money on topping up The 'Mouse" which player has the more potential to kill it in First Grade....

If that story is true well so be it imo! He sounds like he is not putting in for Wests and not training. Also hanging around Mundine a lot I hear, so bye bye Daine good luck in the future!
I dont think we need self centred players like that at our club IMO.
Now back to enjoying my Sunday!

Funny how only 12 months ago Sheens was talking him up us the Wests Tigers' Mason. And that's not a dig at Tim…

Laurie has done next to nothing - am I wrong in saying that his last good game was against Souths last year? - in that 12 month period, nothing that warrants a permanent position in first grade. Already being 25 and showing close to zero signs of improvement, I'm not convinced he will learn everything he needs to succeed anyway - I like him but he is a liability in the team, plain and simple - as he is 25 and time is not on his side.

The bigger issue is that some players, maybe most, would benefit and only fulfil their potential if they moved on from the Tigers.

Clubs chase Laurie as Tigers stand him down from firsts
Josh Rakic | August 2, 2009

WESTS TIGERS cult figure Daine Laurie is considering seeking a release from the final year of his contract after being constantly overlooked for NRL selection.

As many as six clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the potentially devastating prop, who turns 25 today, including Wayne Bennett’s Dragons, who have lost Justin Poore to the Eels next season.

Laurie has played just 10 of a possible 18 matches this year and is unlikely to return to the NRL within the next four weeks after being sanctioned for failing to show up to a training session last month.

Laurie’s manager, Chris Haddad, met with coach Tim Sheens on Friday where it’s understood he requested an upgrade of Laurie’s bottom-tier, $45,000-a-year contract to remain. But a source close to the Tigers’ camp said the club was reluctant to do so because he’s yet to prove himself as a regular first-grader.

The Tigers have said they want to develop him into a back-rower next season, but a source close to Laurie said he was disappointed by the club’s stance and was considering asking for a release in coming weeks.

When contacted by The Sun-Herald, Laurie said he was a ‘‘frustrated’’ spectator but declined to comment on his contract situation. ‘‘Tim said Daine definitely has a future at the club and that he wants to keep him, but he wants him to play NSW Cup to learn how to play second row,’’ Haddad said.

‘‘Daine’s happy at the club but he wants to be playing first grade on a regular basis. He considers himself NRL standard. There are quite a few clubs interested in him but we’ll hold talks with the Tigers again in a few weeks before we look in to that.’’

Well there you go!!!!

If this is the attitude of Laurie the good riddance to him.He has some way to go before being able to call himself a regular 1st grader.I dont agree with the club on alot of things but in my opinion theyve got it 100% correct on this one.

Back