COREY IN A LEAGUE OF HIS OWN

G

COREY IN A LEAGUE OF HIS OWN
CARLEEN FROST - Fairfield Advance
Monday, July 20, 2009
COREY Payne is not your average NRL star. An aggressive forward on the field, the Wests Tigers secondrower is even more determined when his football boots come off.

When the 25-year-old leaves the sheds, he heads to Sydney University where he is studying for a Master of Commerce.

And when he’s not studying, Payne can be found helping to raise awareness for the Call to Arms men’s cancer campaign or visiting sick children in hospital.

Last week, the footballer was at Fairfield High School speaking to students about the importance of a university education. ‘‘Education is something that I am very passionate about, and it is something I believe that should be available to all,’’ he said.

‘‘We need to make sure that further education is something that all young people have the option to undertake, and are not ignorant to that fact because they are from a lower socioeconomic area.’’

Payne, who grew up in St Johns Park, told students they could accomplish any goal they set out to achieve whether they lived in western Sydney or the eastern suburbs.

‘‘There are plenty of successful people out west,’’ he said.

‘‘You should challenge yourself to be one of them.’’

Payne got his start playing rugby league for the Chester Hill Hornets alongside Matt Lamb, son of Bulldogs great Terry. The former Westfields Sports High School student made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2005, and switched to the Tigers last year.

He said he was proud to be at the club, playing under Australian representative coach Tim Sheens.

‘‘It’s a good club,’’ he said.

‘‘They are a good bunch of blokes. Hopefully I can stay here for a
few years.’’

Payne, also a director on the Rugby League Players Association, said he hoped to one day fulfil a childhood dream of winning an NRL grand final.

He said he had fond memories of his early years in St Johns Park, visiting Fairfield Forum to see the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and playing outdoors with his brother and sister.

‘‘There’s a lot of parks just where I live so we used to have a fair few games of footy,’’ he said.

He is probably our most improved and now that he has the dumb penalties out of his game I wouldn't be disapointed to see him signed for another couple of seasons. I think he is just maturing as a forward and is one of the few second rowers who can actually cover front row if needed.

Hes not your average "NRL Star" because hes not a "star" to begin with lol.

Will admit that he has improved in recent weeks though.

He wasnt great yesterday, made somthing like 40 metres for the match and gave his usual mistakes away.

His try at the end was great though, and when Tuiaki made the break at the end down the side he was in the inside but TUiaki went himself.

Good player. I hope he and Galea can get a one year extension.

I hear on the grape vine that Galea has been offered a very small contract for 2010\. Dunno about Payne.

Payne to go. He has improved but I'd rather see a young bloke brought on.

I've warmed to Corey. The barge-over try against the Cowboys was crucial in the context of the game. I thin his running numbers were low because he's smart enough to keep out of the way when the backline is cutting the opposition to ribbons. He's got an offload and has even put players into gaps on a couple of occasions.

Don't knock the pain - no Payne no Gain.

I really, really don't like Corey Payne in a Tigers jersey.

I can't wait for him to leave

with the penalties out of the game he is adding value.

he adds some mungrel to the forward pack and i would not be disappointed if he took a lower wage and stayed.

Deserves an extension of a year or two alongside Galea. Both are playing well and adding value to the side, which is more than what I feel Fulton will add.

@Balmain Bug said:
Good player. I hope he and Galea can get a one year extension.

I hear on the grape vine that Galea has been offered a very small contract for 2010\. Dunno about Payne.

you hear alot of things that arent true

@hadds75 said:
He wasnt great yesterday, made somthing like 40 metres for the match and gave his usual mistakes away.

His try at the end was great though, and when Tuiaki made the break at the end down the side he was in the inside but TUiaki went himself.

he didnt give away a penalty and dropped the ball once, he has vastly improved over the last month ever since he has been starting lock

@anderson silva said:
@hadds75 said:

he didnt give away a penalty and dropped the ball once, he has vastly improved over the last month ever since he has been starting lock

He also was in la la land 42 seconds after kick off…..Cowboys TRY

@Kul said:
I really, really don't like Corey Payne in a Tigers jersey.

I can't wait for him to leave

Same. We won't miss him and if the Tigers do offer him a contract, it will probably be so little he'll look elsewhere anyway.

I am liking the way Payne has played this year and very much improved.

Good on him for doing some work in the community.

Playing well, but no where near as good as Fulton. Deserves something for punching Ben Teo, maybe a 1 year contract.

Back