Defence

steven_tiger

This week is all about it.

Get off the line quickly and **hit HARD** in defence! Really **HURT** them!

Wrapping up the ball would be nice too!

the one thing that we MUST stop is the off-loads.
teams have shredded us with off-loads in the past and parra has a few great off-loaders.
i think if we can stop them getting the ball away with 2 and 3 tigers in the tackle that will solve 1/2 our defensive problems.

I reckon our scrambling defence has been very good recently, where we've been able to shut down half-breaks. That sort of defence will be vital against the Eels.

If stats could talk, they would definitely confirm Parra are surely the No.1 team that scores more tries off second phase play than any other team in the NRL Competition. Wrap that ball up for goodness sake. That is the KEY to stopping Parra. Hayne thrives off second phase play, he is always sniffing around, free lancing, looking for an offload. Limit the Eels promoting the ball, you almost single handedly take Hayne out of the ball game; hence, Parramatta out of the contest.

@Gobbs said:
If stats could talk, they would definitely confirm Parra are surely the No.1 team that scores more tries off second phase play than any other team in the NRL Competition. Wrap that ball up for goodness sake. That is the KEY to stopping Parra. Hayne thrives off second phase play, he is always sniffing around, free lancing, looking for an offload. Limit the Eels promoting the ball, you almost single handedly take Hayne out of the ball game; hence, Parramatta out of the contest.

Couldn't agree more - stop the offloads and we go a long way to stopping Parramatta.

Agree with all comments.

Defence is paramount, whenever the Eels beat us they have monstsered us with plenty of second phase play.

Also, if we can at least contain their forwards we will be able to give it to their inexperienced halves.

It all depends on how long the refs will allow us to lay on the players.

@senex said:

Well that's what Parra will be trying to do to Wests. Litming Farah's chancing of getting out of dummy-half quickly to ignite the attack around the ruck. Expect the Eels to cop a few penalties if they go overboard. The Tigers should be more concerned with ensuring that there is complete ball security in defence, not giving any Parramatta ball carrier to opportunity to promote the football in any tackle, because you know who will be waiting….

Deffinately ahve to stop the offloads as said earlier. I think we should also kick early and wide if required. Don't let Hayne get the ball in the middle of the field by kicking near the sideline. Kicking early in the tackle will also see him having to take the ball back himself where he can be lined up. Kicking behind or just attacking Grothe I think will improve the chances of victory.

The Eels lead the comp in second phase play and lead total offloads by some margin with 336 for the season. Canberra have 24 less and are the only other side with more than 300 offloads for the season.

Whenever the Eels have beaten the Tigers recently, they have stood in tackles very early on and got the offloads away, putting the Tigers on the backfoot and caused them all sorts of problems. The Tigers certainly have a better defensive structure this season and if they can shut the Eels forwards down then they will go a long way towards winning the match. The Tigers just need to stick it to Parramatta early and get numbers in tackles.

@senex said:

yep and we have tony archer reffing. he lets other teams virtually bury us before he calls "movement" in that ever so annoying squeaky voice. god he makes my blood boil.

I have been so impressed by our defence lately. With Ellis leading (he just smashes guys!) and guys like Galea & Gibbs following we really been limiting the go forward of teams. Farah has obviously been doing a lot of defending also which seems to have been using up a lot of his petrol but he will do what is required as skipper. One other thing I have noticed is that our scramble in defence seems to be back. Haven't seen that since 05 really.

Staff online

Back