Defensive Technique

system

Last night was the first time since 2002 I have been taken aback by our defensive display for a game.

Yes there were line breaks etc but watching the IQ recording it was obvious that we won the ruck in 90% of our tackles. They wrestled the Bulldogs to their backs for the majority of the game in the forwards making it that much harder, slowing the PTB down. Only Morrin got the better of our forwards in this regard consistantly.

It is the small things like this that have changed since the start of the year

@smeghead said:
Last night was the first time since 2002 I have been taken aback by our defensive display for a game.

Yes there were line breaks etc but watching the IQ recording it was obvious that we won the ruck in 90% of our tackles. They wrestled the Bulldogs to their backs for the majority of the game in the forwards making it that much harder, slowing the PTB down. Only Morrin got the better of our forwards in this regard consistantly.

Have a closer look. Ellis has turned into a bit of a grub tactician in the ruck. Cheapshot jersey pulling and headlocks. Just hope he doesn't get found out and becoming a liability.

Do you think the conditions aided our cause?
\
\
It seemed like we had plenty of time to get our line set, I was nodding off watching the recording later.
I was impressed with how we finished…the dogs really had nothing, we had heaps in reserve it seemed.
That said the gnawing feeling of where our last 3 opponents sit on the ladder wont go away, but still the higher
you are the lower everyone else is i guess...again to contradict that, they only have scored 5 tries less than us.
very pleased at this stage.

The conditions certainly played their role Ink. No doubting that.

But in previous year I think we still would not have played that grinding defensive style.

Just my opinion of course

@crouching_tiger said:
@smeghead said:

Have a closer look. Ellis has turned into a bit of a grub tactician in the ruck. Cheapshot jersey pulling and headlocks. Just hope he doesn't get found out and becoming a liability.

He did what he needed to do to help the Tigers win the game. It was another MOM performance from him so who cares if he pulled a couple of jerseys.

@crouching_tiger said:

I seen him do that, on Ennis.

He shouldn't be punished for giving that grub what he dishes out every week, buy him a beer instead :slight_smile:

@smeghead said:

Spot on..

Our defense was better than the Dogs…Only conceeded 1 penalty in the ruck to

Ellis hits and sticks 9 times out of 10 and is 1 of our best in slowing the playthe ball...Payten reads better than most forwards in the game...the kneeing the ball loose on Ryan was awesome...Gibbs has the workrate of a backrower and Farah was back to his best..Heighno is just a machine,,.Dwyer Moors and Fifita use the size and height to their advantage...

All the forwards have built a great combo with their back partners....Even from set plays or when the Dogs tried to spread it everyone did their job in defence.....

Defense won us the game...

I've also noticed better line speed from us again. Very many times Payten or Gibbs were right in the face of the Bulldogs forward when he got the footy. It seems to work really well to get us defensively on top, so long as the boys have the stamina to keep moving up that fast.

Back