Effort Analysis

Needaname

This isn’t going to be as in depth as Jirskyr provides but I thought I’d share a couple of screen shots from the highlights on the weekend.
Most speak for themselves but it’s clear how bunched we were at times, the side opposite to the play walking etc. where as on the opposite side you have a backline play or kick chase and you can almost spot every player of that side in the frame.
Happy to discuss this topic further.
![460FC21F-AB00-40F1-A6F4-27B38A34F6B1.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500023637-460fc21f-ab00-40f1-a6f4-27b38a34f6b1.png)
![35332CBA-4388-4728-8062-DDDBE38688D6.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500146724-35332cba-4388-4728-8062-dddbe38688d6.png)
![87B80CDB-C517-4B33-8DF4-DECC5AFE6AB2.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500163276-87b80cdb-c517-4b33-8df4-decc5afe6ab2.png)
![C08BE18F-4EC9-47F7-9103-77F0C61172D6.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500189427-c08be18f-4ec9-47f7-9103-77f0c61172d6.png)

In these shots. This is off the break Luke makes.
1 You can see in the frame the amount of chasers both sides.
2 You can see after the tackle on Talau.
How bunched but exhausted our players look after the break.
Brooks sprinting to space on the short side.
The play goes the opposite way and in.
3/4 the options on the last that Brooks is left with before putting in the poorly weighted grubber.

I’m pretty sure after that Morris sprints the ball back and almost makes a break off it.

In all 4 frames, Tedesco is covering a different person. He made Brooks pass, try-saver on Talau, got off quickly and was there for the kick on the other side of the field. What a blood freak.

We were sitting back too much. Waiting for the ball to come your way rather than running on to it or going towards it.

![08C8C454-3C90-49A6-A8A5-92E588801396.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500557516-08c8c454-3c90-49a6-a8a5-92e588801396.png) ![3B06E647-3F0C-41A6-966E-5554E31ED5D4.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500557038-3b06e647-3f0c-41a6-966e-5554e31ed5d4.png) ![233C058D-A5FC-44C0-848C-6982B120E59D.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500556565-233c058d-a5fc-44c0-848c-6982b120e59d.png)

The above are shots. Based around the Roosters at the time of their Breaks / Try’s but noticeably there is a lack of energy from the players not involved in the direct play.

Contrast this to the final few seconds of the game and look at the chase from Keary to force a play out of Brooks.

![7ACCF760-8307-423C-9A15-72398E0055DF.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500685371-7accf760-8307-423c-9a15-72398e0055df.png) ![FAB1A319-F005-42CF-9A12-FC113833C559.png](/assets/uploads/files/1616500685147-fab1a319-f005-42cf-9a12-fc113833c559.png)

@tig_prmz said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321404) said:
In all 4 frames, Tedesco is covering a different person. He made Brooks pass, try-saver on Talau, got off quickly and was there for the kick on the other side of the field. What a blood freak.

Yeah good pick up. That is unbelievable effort all in one play.

While BJ dreamed of Bondi burgers

Pic 2 really annoys me. I’m pretty sure Tedesco not only tackled Talau but kept him upright for about 10secs where it was clear that a scoring option from anyone of our players was available on the short side. Afterwards, Liddle goes left to Leuia on the last.

@needaname said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321411) said:
Pic 2 really annoys me. I’m pretty sure Tedesco not only tackled Talau but kept him upright for about 10secs where it was clear that a scoring option from anyone of our players was available on the short side. Afterwards, Liddle goes left to Leuia on the last.

Agree.. We should of had a few 6 again calls or penalties for them laying on us after a break.. Not even going to start on them be offside on there line and thats how they shut us down.. We need to improve big time but refs also need to ref both ways.

100% correct. The lack of effort is across multiple facets of the game. Most notably in D with a lack of line speed, lack of aggression in the collision, lack of urgency to move into position and fill gaps and a lack of support in D especially against bombs.
But it’s also in attack, with zero support play and lack of bodies in motion. Poor pressure on kickers, inconsistent kick chase, etc.
Perfect example is the break by Brooks with Liddle supporting then Talau appears and is tackled (try bombed right there at a crucial point in the game). Brooks gets the ball (at this point we were ripped off by the ref who really should have given us 6 again), there is absolutely no one in support wanting the ball on the whole left side of the field and Brooks ends up kicking it dead. The Roosters would have had half a dozen guys lining up on the left screaming for the ball- and thats the difference currently between us and the better teams.

@hsvjones said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321415) said:

Agree.. We should of had a few 6 again calls or penalties for them laying on us after a break.. Not even going to start on them be offside on there line and thats how they shut us down.. We need to improve big time but refs also need to ref both ways.

Agree, but also disagree. You would think they are offside, as was the believe with the raiders. But in truth and you can see it in the vision. They just work that much harder to run up and down the 10 quicker than the opposition. Those teams aren’t offside. Or at the least the players rushing up in that position aren’t. The fringes might or the players out of frame could be to lessen the chance of a spread but those plays are timed perfectly every time. That is an example of a professional footy side.
Player I’m most disappointed with is Tamou. He should be up there leading our line speed and saying come with me. With 1 more big bopper on the bench this week hopefully Madge has all our forwards thinking effort and energy first and sustainability and longevity second. Keep the middle working hard but staying fresh at the same time.

@tigersj said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321418) said:
100% correct. The lack of effort is across multiple facets of the game. Most notably in D with a lack of line speed, lack of aggression in the collision, lack of urgency to move into position and fill gaps and a lack of support in D especially against bombs.
But it’s also in attack, with zero support play and lack of bodies in motion. Poor pressure on kickers, inconsistent kick chase, etc.
Perfect example is the break by Brooks with Liddle supporting then Talau appears and is tackled (try bombed right there at a crucial point in the game). Brooks gets the ball (at this point we were ripped off by the ref who really should have given us 6 again), there is absolutely no one in support wanting the ball on the whole left side of the field and Brooks ends up kicking it dead. The Roosters would have had half a dozen guys lining up on the left screaming for the ball- and thats the difference currently between us and the better teams.

It’s hard to get too many screenshots of us in the highlights since it was mostly a Roosters training run but I feel that set of play in the first 4 photos really summed up where we are at at the moment.

I hate how good he is

Has he been drug tested yet ?

This is something that really annoyed me. I felt sorry for Brooks on that play, it really was sad seeing that unfold.

@madge said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321428) said:

This is something that really annoyed me. I felt sorry for Brooks on that play, it really was sad seeing that unfold.

Commented out of frustration about him not pulling off those kicks, but from most remarks discussing the lead up to them(on rewatch), it now looks like he's playing like someone with the weight of the world on their shoulders.

There's been posts questioning team spirit and confidence - and I think most of us are worried about the same thing.
IDC who our opposition was, but in the Manly trial game we looked united as a team and the players were having fun with it - working on building cohesion/combos.

Part of the issue is not just general lack of support, but at that stage Roosters had already cut the outside defence up several times, for two tries, and I think the Tigers were already battling fitness-wise.

We have to be competitive and stay competitive early, because good teams, as soon as they get that small advantage, they will punish you. And then you find yourself defending several sets, down by 12 or 18 points and somehow trying to mount a comeback with no energy.

That's why I said I saw effort last week, and Madge said so too, but effort isn't enough. Other folks dismissed it, saying there was lack of unity or lack of effort, but I saw players trying and struggling, once the first mistakes were made, Roosters barely let off and Tigers don't seem to have the talent/confidence at the moment to turn things around mid-game.

Thanks for posting @Needaname it helps to have this broken down. We need to remember it is footy, not rocket science, and if the blokes on the field want it enough then this is all fixable. Line speed, support, communication etc... are things we can do but we have to be more consistent with.

My thoughts of the game were.

We had momentum with them for the first 8 Minutes In my opinion.

there was also a period there that the Roosters were dead just like us, somewhere around the 20 minute mark after they ravaged us there for abit.

Personally, I was screaming at the TV because there were so many times we could have taken advantage of them but we didn't capitalise on it.

Although, with multiple times in the oppositions 20 not getting 6 again calls, pretty much killed us.. but then people talk about the last 5 minutes of the first half where we got 5-6 back to back calls of 6 agains to say it was even to equal it up..

the last 40, they demolished us, no excuses really.

@needaname said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321421) said:
@hsvjones said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321415) said:

Agree, but also disagree. You would think they are offside, as was the believe with the raiders. But in truth and you can see it in the vision. They just work that much harder to run up and down the 10 quicker than the opposition. Those teams aren’t offside. Or at the least the players rushing up in that position aren’t. The fringes might or the players out of frame could be to lessen the chance of a spread but those plays are timed perfectly every time. That is an example of a professional footy side.
Player I’m most disappointed with is Tamou. He should be up there leading our line speed and saying come with me. With 1 more big bopper on the bench this week hopefully Madge has all our forwards thinking effort and energy first and sustainability and longevity second. Keep the middle working hard but staying fresh at the same time.

I'm pretty sure 90% of our team would fail the beep test.

@jirskyr said in [Effort Analysis](/post/1321515) said:
We have to be competitive and stay competitive early, because good teams, as soon as they get that small advantage, they will punish you. And then you find yourself defending several sets, down by 12 or 18 points and somehow trying to mount a comeback with no energy.

I'm not here to bag Brooks but this is exactly where those dead in-goal kicks put us. Fatigue snowballs and once you're on the downhill slope it's very hard to arrest. End of sets is becoming one of, if not THE most important aspects of the game.

It totally determines how your next defensive set will unfold.

I thought of this stuff after the game but haven't had time to verify my thoughts.

Brooks kicking and end of set options were atrocious, there is no denying that. And there are a lot of people that have cut Brooks, and thats their opinion and thats fine. We are a forum sharing ideas.

But I havent written of Brooks yet, on the basis that he hasn't exactly had the support required. There is a presumption from some that every WT player on those last tackles is in position, ready with several options, and Brooks always takes the worst one. I think this is incorrect.

The times I recall, Brooks got the feed from Dummy half on the last or second last, and there was no one there. There were no forwards coming through giving options, the outside backs werent even in position and ready, and generally most were standing on the short side or close to the ruck, lazy or out of breath.

Brooks gets the ball, looks at his options (of which there are none because most are standing there like tools) and so what is he to do.

I saw one stage when Brooks decided to try and get quick ball out, so he passed to Doeuhi, who was not moving, literally didnt move his feet, and on passed it to some other knucklehead standing 3 foot away from him. It looked like an under 7s game at the local park where they have to pass 3 times before you can run.

Its alright to say Brooks isnt taking the right options but the Roosters game highlighted the fact that very often, he doesnt have any.

Now some will respond by saying "well Brooks runs the team, he should get them into position". To that I say - if it only worked like that. Cooper Cronk never had these issues because his teams were well drilled to be where they were supposed to be. He proved it in the GF where he did nothing and the team went without him.

Brooks cant make players get off their a$$ and start being lazy and make some second efforts. So I think he will make a sufficient NRL halfback in the right team. Changing him for Adam Reynolds (which has been the joke of the week suggested by some) doesnt make the forwards get into position and offer options, or get the backline in order ready to capitalise on an option taken by the playmaker.

Members online

No members online now.
Back