First look at Concord Oval revamp

Sabre

DEMAND for new inner west sporting facilities, driven by the region’s rapidly growing population, is set to see Concord Oval undergo a $30 million transformation.

The Courier can today share a first look at the proposed Parramatta Rd oval redevelopment under plans by Canada Bay Council to bring the outdated facility into the 21st century.

Described by the council as its most ambitious infrastructure project ever undertaken, the upgrade will include a new indoor recreation centre, open spaces, rooms for community groups, match facilities and a new high-performance centre for the Wests Tigers.

Mayor Angelo Tsirekas said the precinct would be designed to service both elite sporting players and local community groups including the West Harbour Rugby and Inter Lions Soccer clubs.

“In our area we house some of Sydney’s best recreational facilities but the demand from our growing active community means our fields and facilities are often at capacity,” he said.

“(This development) will mean our residents will have some of Sydney’s finest world class sporting, recreation and community facilities at their doorstep.”

The oval has not been upgraded since 1985, and while still popular among local sporting clubs, capacity constraints have forced many larger groups to relocate to venues at Olympic Park, Moore Park and Parramatta.

Wests Tigers has campaigned for the upgrade since 2015 and welcomed the plan. The club’s chief executive Justin Pascoe said the project would ensure the club can train at a state-of-the art facility in the heart of the inner west.

It is funded by the State Government to meet long-term population targets in the Parramatta Road Urban Transformation Plan including 10,600 homes in the Burwood, Concord and Kings Bay precincts.

Planning Minister Anthony Roberts said the project was part of $198 million in funding to improve “liveability” along the road corridor.

“Australians love the outdoors and it’s so important that as our cities and suburbs grow, we still have access to high quality open spaces,” Mr Roberts said.

The plans will be available for community consultation in coming weeks.

![](https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/7135898fa17356d3df481d81f3d7a331?width=1024)

![](https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3c359911bda2132b0e111975268b509f?width=1024)

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/first-look-at-concord-oval-revamp/news-story/0adb8d6b042d9c395f3df4dd2d09f566

About time…..so the CEO is now fully funded and going ahead?

@ said:
@ said:
About time…..so the CEO is now fully funded and going ahead?

Yes I believe Pascoe's salary is being paid and I assume he's working at the level expected of him.

Well played :laughing:

I love this direction.

What are peoples thoughts however on the Wests Tigers being based at concord and playing all or almost all of our games at the Western Sydney stadium?

it seems to be the direction we may be heading long term.

Saddens me to say it but i think Leichhardt will be the one to go with Campbelltown perhaps getting 3 or 4 per season going forward.

@ said:
I love this direction.

What are peoples thoughts however on the Wests Tigers being based at concord and playing all or almost all of our games at the Western Sydney stadium?

Saddens me to say it but i think Leichhardt will be the one to go with Campbelltown perhaps getting 3 or 4 per season going forward.

I’ll be rejoicing if that happens. Leichhardt lacks the facilities of a modern stadium, basically it’s a cesspool. The sooner it goes the better. Progress will have been made and Wests Tigers will be truely looking to the future.

@ said:
@ said:
I love this direction.

I’ll be rejoicing if that happens. Leichhardt lacks the facilities of a modern stadium, basically it’s a cesspool. The sooner it goes the better. Progress will have been made and Wests Tigers will be truely looking to the future.

Can you possibly post on this kind of topic with some respect for both sides of the situation.

Cesspool is rubbish word to use and is only going to start fights.

If you cant keep it classy and measured try not posting

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I love this direction.

Can you possibly post on this kind of topic with some respect for both sides of the situation.

Cesspool is rubbish word to use and is only going to start fights.

If you cant keep it classy and measured try not posting

What a yawn. It is a cesspool especially in the wet. No better description for it. I’ve been going their since I was 10 and it basically still the same. Demountable toilets one end and an actual cesspit at the other. It’s time to call it what it is and move on.

Mods please remove my original post.

People are not mature enough to have a proper conversation.

@ said:
I love this direction.

Personally I'd rip the band aid off and just play all our home games from the one stadium wss. With the token 2-3 games being taken to bush areas or part of double headers. That's my two cents worth on the topic.

@ said:
@ said:
I love this direction.

Personally I'd rip the band aid off and just play all our home games from the one stadium wss. With the token 2-3 games being taken to bush areas or part of double headers. That's my two cents worth on the topic.

Nothing wrong with that idea. The only concern would be the perception of abandoning the South West of Sydney. Other codes are already getting a foothold there. How to counteract that would be the question.

So is it a community center, a high performance unit or a center of excellence?

I think in the end it may all be a bit diluted to what some of us were expecting, but hey new facilities are new, as long as OUR equipment is modern, up to date and allowing us to compete with the rest of the NRL.
\
\
Did I just say that…sorry got carried away

Concept drawings look good. Personally I would have preferred to see us relocate to Campbelltown fulltime and invest in the south-west. The stadium has room to grow if you wanted to redevelop the ground and a centre of excellence could be easily established there. Having said that, at least this development is confirmed and going ahead so let's take it for what it is and watch it unfold, should make the Wests Tigers a much more attractive club for players to come to with modern facilities which are second to none.

@ said:
@ said:
I love this direction.

Thats my preferred option as well WT2K.

I just cant see them abandoning Campbelltown area any time soon. If they did i would lose no sleep but i think it could cause a bit of an issue.

@ said:
So is it a community center, a high performance unit or a center of excellence?

I think in the end it may all be a bit diluted to what some of us were expecting, but hey new facilities are new, as long as OUR equipment is modern, up to date and allowing us to compete with the rest of the NRL.
\
\
Did I just say that…sorry got carried away

I think that was always in the plan..multi purpose not just ours …it's what they put in the shiny building is what's important...hydro pools for recovery etc after all a 50kg dumbell is still a 50kg dumbell..ask happy..

Looks good ...

Back