First look at Concord Oval revamp

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Penriths COE cost $30 mill by itself.

I got to tour Penriths COE last Thursday with my young blokes footy team .Dallin Watene - Zelezniak was our tour guide ( nice kid)

30 mill doesn’t get you much .
The main gym was very impressive as was the training field next to the centre .
The rest of the facilities were bog average at best …
Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths
Change rooms and media rooms were all very basic .

Their COE sits underneath the Western Stand doesn't it Hobbs?

You'd think some of the $30m would be reworking the existing structure as well.

Nah … the new COE is behind the club itself adjacent to the aqua golf pond

There old gym was underneath the western stand adjacent to mulgoa rd

The new COE is just like a modern apartment complex inside tbh .
Change rooms , tv / lounge room etc

The gym was outstanding though complete with a hyperbaric chamber which cost 200k ( I was told)

I took pics of the gym but I’m too dumb to upload them lol

The gym at concord looks like a POW set up compared to what I seen at Penrith, but if it cost them $30 mill ...I’m in the wrong trade !

Ah OK, I don't frequent Penrith much anymore, much less Panthers so I wouldn't know haha.

Yeah our gym is pretty substandard to be kind.

If the Tigers don't have to tip in any money for the actual build and they have that further State Govt grant (as well as the WT Foundation $$), we may have one heck of a fit-out.

Hobbo…. Under the reply box there's a tab for attachments, next to options ... You can upload photos from there as long as they're not too big

@ said:
@ said:
Is 30 million the total cost of the project or just the councils contribution towards the project?

You don’t get a lot for 30 million when doing a redevelopment of this scale. Anyway, about time and it’s a win win for our club and Canada Bay

Penrith's was $22m according to this:
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/03/30/panthers-open-$22-million-academy/

@ said:
Hobbo…. Under the reply box there's a tab for attachments, next to options ... You can upload photos from there as long as they're not too big

Sorry mate …says pics are too big

Or pm me an email address and I’ll send them that way !

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Is 30 million the total cost of the project or just the councils contribution towards the project?

You don’t get a lot for 30 million when doing a redevelopment of this scale. Anyway, about time and it’s a win win for our club and Canada Bay

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/03/30/panthers-open-$22-million-academy/

Cheers Sabre, you gotta tip your hat to a club that can fund a COE of that size by itself. Less than 12 months construction aswell.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I got to tour Penriths COE last Thursday with my young blokes footy team .Dallin Watene - Zelezniak was our tour guide ( nice kid)

30 mill doesn’t get you much .
The main gym was very impressive as was the training field next to the centre .
The rest of the facilities were bog average at best …
Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths
Change rooms and media rooms were all very basic .

Their COE sits underneath the Western Stand doesn't it Hobbs?

You'd think some of the $30m would be reworking the existing structure as well.

Nah … the new COE is behind the club itself adjacent to the aqua golf pond

There old gym was underneath the western stand adjacent to mulgoa rd

The new COE is just like a modern apartment complex inside tbh .
Change rooms , tv / lounge room etc

The gym was outstanding though complete with a hyperbaric chamber which cost 200k ( I was told)

I took pics of the gym but I’m too dumb to upload them lol

The gym at concord looks like a POW set up compared to what I seen at Penrith, but if it cost them $30 mill ...I’m in the wrong trade !

Ah OK, I don't frequent Penrith much anymore, much less Panthers so I wouldn't know haha.

Yeah our gym is pretty substandard to be kind.

Penrith's COE cost 22 mil, Newcastle's is costing 20 mil. At 30 mil we should able to squeeze a bit more in - if Canada Bay is also contributing then perhaps more still.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Cheers Sabre, you gotta tip your hat to a club that can fund a COE of that size by itself. Less than 12 months construction aswell.

Pokies money. It's the Leagues Club that's funding all the football club's facilities.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Pokies money. It's the Leagues Club that's funding all the football club's facilities.

I don't think anyone thought otherwise.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Ok let me rephrase - I won't tip my hat to things bought with gambling money, particularly where pokies are concerned.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Ok let me rephrase - I won't tip my hat to things bought with gambling money, particularly where pokies are concerned.

We get millions from Ashfield and Crownbet. I have no problems with it.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I guess you won't be tipping your hat to 90% of things in Rugby League then.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I guess you won't be tipping your hat to 90% of things in Rugby League then.

I don't want to get into a whole debate about it, but yes, generally speaking the gambling money is an issue that most fans don't care or think to hard about. Arguably, the less affluent the area in question, such as far Western Sydney, the more an issue it becomes.

The govt saw fit to outlaw cigarette advertising and that industry was the precursor to the gambling companies that are heavily involved. The difference between cigarettes and gambling is, what? A flutter here and there doesn't hurt anyone, nor is a handful of cigarettes going to end your life, but the addiction is the problem.

I am not ignorant however, I understand that rugby league funding and gambling are potentially inextricably linked.

A story in the Canberra Times about the Raiders new COE located on Braddon Oval, Northbourne Ave.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/nrl/raiders-keen-to-make-finals-and-start-next-preseason-at-new-facility-20181112-p50ffw.html

i am very happy for WT to stay at concord provided there is some sort of upgrade done

let's stop moving and create a brand

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
I love this direction.

What are peoples thoughts however on the Wests Tigers being based at concord and playing all or almost all of our games at the Western Sydney stadium?

it seems to be the direction we may be heading long term.

Saddens me to say it but i think Leichhardt will be the one to go with Campbelltown perhaps getting 3 or 4 per season going forward.

I’ll be rejoicing if that happens. Leichhardt lacks the facilities of a modern stadium, basically it’s a cesspool. The sooner it goes the better. Progress will have been made and Wests Tigers will be truely looking to the future.

Can you possibly post on this kind of topic with some respect for both sides of the situation.

Cesspool is rubbish word to use and is only going to start fights.

If you cant keep it classy and measured try not posting

No pc here. It's well past its use by date. Time to move on.

Leichhardt Hill looks good on TV when full. Apparently terrible facilities. (I've only ever been there once in 2005)

Cambo looks so poverty stricken and uninspiring.

Anything anywhere thats relatively modern is desperately needed - This would be so helpful in getting players to the club.

I know that I love working for my current employer - Helps that its a cool environment

There is nothing I like better than the pungent smell of mens urine in my nostrils…. :sign:

I reckon Concord is a better draw card for recruitment. Its closeness to Sydney has a big appeal.

@ said:
There is nothing I like better than the pungent smell of mens urine in my nostrils…. :sign:

Reminds me of George Orwell writing about his experience of attending the football (in the 1930s).

He spoke of the smell of Woodbine and urine on the terraces.

Must confess I spent many afternoons on the hills of various football grounds around Sydney but I don't recall sensing urine in the air.

Latest posts

Members online

Back