Fishing Thread

@happy_tiger said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493666) said:
@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493661) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493652) said:
@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493628) said:
Pinned a couple of nice flatties around the weedbeds and mangroves this morning and topped it off with three muddies in the pots on the way back. Couple of cold ones and a good feed. I love my backyard.

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

Do you mind asking where you are at Shaggy ???

Pelican Waters Caloundra Happy. From reading your posts I'm guessing you might be up this way as well.

@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493684) said:
Pinned a couple of nice flatties around the weedbeds and mangroves this morning and topped it off with three muddies in the pots on the way back. Couple of cold ones and a good feed. I love my backyard.

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

Pelican Waters Caloundra Happy. From reading your posts I'm guessing you might be up this way as well.

Gladstone ....I grew up fishing Rainbow Beach ,Double Island Pt ,Fraser ...most amazing beach fishing I ever experienced was at Moreton Island ..back in the 70's of course ....

Stupid question ...do you have a WT's number plate ....

@tigerballs said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493680) said:
@thedaboss said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493609) said:
Had a flick at parra River with some squidgies

Got aboslutrly nothing apart from snags but good to be back in swing of things ?

Where do you live Boss? I fish Five Dock bay on mid to high tide with solid bodies and almost always catch something decent. Bream and flatties galore. Go right to the end of The Esplanade at the eastern end and work your way down to the mangroves. You need it closer to high tide and the wind at your back to get a bit of distance in your casts but there's plenty of action. A brown/orange Rebel wee crawdaddy is my lure of choice but they're getting hard to find.

Yea im campbelltown

So i usually go into syd for most fishing expedition's

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Had anyone here ever been down to beecroft of the tubes

Considering end of year

Do you blokes still get a feed around Sydney ......

And chopper tailor ...many around anymore down your way ....

@mikey said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493627) said:
@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493616) said:
I went fishing last weekend at my parents home on the Mid North Coast (Harrington). Caught bugger all but it was so relaxing sitting on the river bank letting all your troubles drift away
Absolute relaxation

Went there every Xmas and at least one other time every year. My grandfather was the teacher at Ghinni Ghinni Creek school and then they retired to Harrington. Love the place but unfortunately no reason to go now.

My Great Grandmother was the Teacher there too
My Great Great Grandfather donated the land for the school
He owned land on both sides of Ghinni Ghinni Creek and the old pub there

• Love

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

The place for muddies is Tin Can Bay .....certain times of the year they walk the flats scooping mud crabs ....seen the footage ...just blew my mind .....

@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493703) said:
@mikey said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493627) said:
@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493616) said:
I went fishing last weekend at my parents home on the Mid North Coast (Harrington). Caught bugger all but it was so relaxing sitting on the river bank letting all your troubles drift away
Absolute relaxation

Went there every Xmas and at least one other time every year. My grandfather was the teacher at Ghinni Ghinni Creek school and then they retired to Harrington. Love the place but unfortunately no reason to go now.

My Great Grandmother was the Teacher there too
My Great Great Grandfather donated the land for the school
He owned land on both sides of Ghinni Ghinni Creek and the old pub there

That's interesting. My family name on my mother's side is Henry. They used to own land at Landsdown. Hnrys Lane is named after them.

I don't recall a pub there. Where was that located? When I was a boy and ever since on numerous drives past that area I've never seen it. I've been to Coopernook Hotel many times over the years.

Hi Mikey - My Surname is Longworth

The old pub was shutdown in the the later 1890's ( I have a photo of it if you wish to see it). It was located just on the north east side of the current Ghinni bridge. My Grandfather in a big flood, rowed a boat into the Coopernook pub and ordered a beer at the bar to celebrate my dad's birth. Dad was born at Coopernook near the Old bridge over the Lansdowne river. The new bridge is called the Francis Longworth Bridge, named after my GG Grandfather. The family moved to Harrington when my dad was about 3yrs old.
Yes I do know the name Henry in the district, I do a fair bit on family history research

@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493771) said:

The old pub was shutdown in the the later 1890's ( I have a photo of it if you wish to see it). It was located just on the north east side of the current Ghinni bridge. My Grandfather in a big flood, rowed a boat into the Coopernook pub and ordered a beer at the bar to celebrate my dad's birth. Dad was born at Coopernook near the Old bridge over the Lansdowne river. The new bridge is called the Francis Longworth Bridge, named after my GG Grandfather. The family moved to Harrington when my dad was about 3yrs old.
Yes I do know the name Henry in the district, I do a fair bit on family history research![89fe0a5b-535b-4e3e-8e18-fb347b112cf8-image.png](/assets/uploads/files/1634422517695-89fe0a5b-535b-4e3e-8e18-fb347b112cf8-image.png)

Yes I do know the name Henry in the district, I do a fair bit on family history research

Thanks for the info. Like a lot of places that lose their main income, it seems the buildings of Ghinni Ghinni Creek suffered as times changed. As you probably know, there is no school anymore and the lot got auctioned off.
As a kid, I remember getting the milk every morning down the Old Motto Road near the school. We were told to walk down the highway to get it; this is when we were four and six - no-one would let kids do that these days.
I met some buds at Harrington a couple of years ago on a bike ride. It was nice seeing the town again - brought back so many memories.

• Love
@happy_tiger said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493689) said:

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

Gladstone ....I grew up fishing Rainbow Beach ,Double Island Pt ,Fraser ...most amazing beach fishing I ever experienced was at Moreton Island ..back in the 70's of course ....

Stupid question ...do you have a WT's number plate ....

No mate, not me but I have seen a 4wd all decked out in WT colours and logos getting around the sunny coast. Don't know who owns it. Might have to follow him home one day.
I fished the Rainbow Beach fishing comp about 10 years ago. Great weekend and great fishing. A bit jealous mate, you wouldn't go short of a feed up your way.
I fish out near Morton in the winter. Great snapper, pearlies and parrot. Always plenty of action.

@clokan said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493663) said:
I'm heading out for a fish tomorrow, chasing the usual suspects Bream, Flathead and Whiting, hopefully get a few on surface lures. Live in Canberra, so happy the lockdowns lifted, was having withdrawals, haven't fished for nearly 3 months.

Are you heading to Batemans Bay? My in-laws used to live there and I fished it a bit. Plenty of what you're chasing around the oyster leases in the river and the odd school jew on occassions.

@happy_tiger said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493706) said:

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

The place for muddies is Tin Can Bay .....certain times of the year they walk the flats scooping mud crabs ....seen the footage ...just blew my mind .....

I have seen a couple of vids on YouTube where they do the same. Like picking strawberrys.
I don't mind a feed of sandies either. We put the pots out the front of Bribie Island when they are on. You can fill a big esky in a couple of hours while you have a fish.

@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1494148) said:

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

I have seen a couple of vids on YouTube where they do the same. Like picking strawberrys.
I don't mind a feed of sandies either. We put the pots out the front of Bribie Island when they are on. You can fill a big esky in a couple of hours while you have a fish.

Like muddies but give me a Sandy any day. Much sweeter and more delicate in flavour.

@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1494139) said:
@clokan said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1493663) said:
I'm heading out for a fish tomorrow, chasing the usual suspects Bream, Flathead and Whiting, hopefully get a few on surface lures. Live in Canberra, so happy the lockdowns lifted, was having withdrawals, haven't fished for nearly 3 months.

Are you heading to Batemans Bay? My in-laws used to live there and I fished it a bit. Plenty of what you're chasing around the oyster leases in the river and the odd school jew on occassions.

Fished Durras, about 15 minutes north of the Bay, ended up with a handful of whiting, but was tough going

@mikey said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1494088) said:

Thanks for the info. Like a lot of places that lose their main income, it seems the buildings of Ghinni Ghinni Creek suffered as times changed. As you probably know, there is no school anymore and the lot got auctioned off.
As a kid, I remember getting the milk every morning down the Old Motto Road near the school. We were told to walk down the highway to get it; this is when we were four and six - no-one would let kids do that these days.
I met some buds at Harrington a couple of years ago on a bike ride. It was nice seeing the town again - brought back so many memories.

Good chat Mikey
Keep in touch mate

@shaggytiger1 said in [Fishing Thread](/post/1494148) said:

Pumicestone ??

That's the one Happy.

We rarely got muddies until I got to Gladstone ...mostly sandies

Lucky ..we have 4 good fishing spots that are within 5 minutes of good crabbing spots .....Graeme's Creek and Targinnie Creek .....Graeme's has everything ..good size Jack ....Barra ...Salmon ...Grunter...big Flatties ......I kid you not ...caught my biggest flathead at Graeme's .....10 minutes later caught a bigger one

I haven't been up to Graeme's since the LNG plant was built though

Amazing reef fishing ......

Latest posts

Back