Fishing Thread

No ...just big fish country ...lots of wharves etc ...can be fishing for bream or grunter and nek minit dirty big jewie is circling your boat and your ducking with rod under anchor ropes etc ......big salmon ...barra anything

Have bream spots where 2kg bream aren't uncommon ...got a 48cm bream at one particular spot where the average length are around 35 cm ......obviously it is only for maybe 6 weeks a year when you get the big sea bream run ...but it's crazy night fishing in a crazy area ...we literally follow the fish in between a gap in an island at the mouth of Gladstone harbour .....
ENVIOUS !

I just spent way to much at anaconda for the Wife an Kids (Christmas Presents). Will be on the Central coast on boxing day and up near Old Bar a week after that.
Entrance ?
Enjoy man, the coast is great.

So is Old Bar.
Great pie shop there.
Make sure you check it out.

For Da Boss, If you have just started, these are some tips. Graphite rods snap easily, do not high stick them,( check the net for info,) or you will learn quickly. Set your drag at 1/4 of line breaking strain. Tight lines means winding in line as you lower the rod to the water, never lose tension on the line , or you will lose fish. With whiting don't strike if rod tip quivers, they are just mouthing the bait, wait for rod to bend, or better still leave rod in holder and they will hook themselves.
After fishing tighten drags, hose down rod and reel, then wash rod without reel in warm soapy water and rinse. Spray reel and rod guides with inox, avoiding fishing line, and your gear will last a lifetime.
Whiting on surfaces lures is fun.

Whiting on surfaces lures is fun.
I first tried it with my nephews mate who ran a fishing store. At Sussex Inlet in southern NSW.
I was stoked, we caught elbow snappers that i did not believe existed. We used 1 to 3kg light graphite sticks,with 6 pound braid and fluorocarbon leader. One of the best days ever, but this kid was a guru, he used to cycle from the train with my nephew when they were kids, and catch trout by the bucketfull in warragamba dam. -- illegal though.

Reactions: BZN
Never seen that ....cool
Yeah it’s easy and you’re using local. I used to chuck it in while getting the boat ready and into the water but if you give it half hour or so you should get plenty and it’s not as physical as pumping yabbie.

Reactions: BZN
I first tried it with my nephews mate who ran a fishing store. At Sussex Inlet in southern NSW.
I was stoked, we caught elbow snappers that i did not believe existed. We used 1 to 3kg light graphite sticks,with 6 pound braid and fluorocarbon leader. One of the best days ever, but this kid was a guru, he used to cycle from the train with my nephew when they were kids, and catch trout by the bucketfull in warragamba dam. -- illegal though.
Yeah I got shown on an estuary tour I paid for used stick bait lures. Great fun. They’re nothing like seeing a fish smash a surface lure.

I just spent way to much at anaconda for the Wife an Kids (Christmas Presents). Will be on the Central coast on boxing day and up near Old Bar a week after that.
Enjoy mate. Went on a holiday with my family last jan to Coffs & boy did I clean up there !!! Locals were shocked cause of how much I was catching hahaha

A very underrated Bait choice is raw chicken breast. I remember I was fishing down at Batemans Bay once & none of us were catching anything, every cast was coming back empty. Some Asian bloke was cleaning up with a bucket full, went down & had a chat with him & he had a kilo of raw chicken breast from woolies told me works like a charm. You bet the next day went & did the same thing & cleaned up massively. Now in my tough times raw chicken breast is my go to 🤣

Last edited:
A very underrated Bait choice is raw chicken breast. I remember I was fishing down at Batemans Bay once & none of us were catching anything, every cast was coming back empty. Some Asian bloke was cleaning up with a bucket full, went down & had a chat with him & he was a kilo of raw chicken breast from woolies told me works like a charm. You bet the next day went & did the same thing & cleaned up massively. Now in my tough times raw chicken breast is my go to 🤣
Similar thing, bait shop not open, cut up some lamb chops, and caught bream and flathead.

Latest posts

Back