Flick Pass Ban at Tigers

Bazzinator

The Wests Tigers have begun a month-long grind-fest as the solution to regaining their NRL form.
>
Gone are the flick passes, long-range attacking raids and even the Footy Show appearances as the Tigers put their shoulders to the wheel to reverse a slump that only began turning around with last week's win over Newcastle.
>
Before that it was four straight losses after a bright opening to the season, hitting a low point in the 50-10 flogging by South Sydney two weeks ago.
>
They face a test against the Warriors at Campbelltown Stadium on Friday night after the Aucklanders accounted for the Rabbitohs 26-24 last weekend.
>
"When you're out of form that's the only way to win your games," assistant coach Royce Simmons told AAP on Thursday.
>
"You're not going to win your games by moving the ball and being flashy and expansive, you've got to get back to the grind and you gradually find form over about a month.
>
"We're going to have to play that way again, we're going to have to grind out a win and gradually each week we get a bit better and a bit better and find our form again.
>
"It's very hard to find form in one game, you find form in a period of about a month."
>
In rediscovering their inner grind, the Tigers have virtually disappeared off the NRL landscape.
>
They decamped to Newcastle last week and their usually busy media schedule was again nowhere to be seen this week.
>
"With all the State of Origin press around, it's been a good week again just to concentrate on your own performances," Simmons said.
>
"Instead of having your mind on a lot of things last week and this week it was just a good chance to concentrate on your football instead of always being on footy shows and talking to media and doing promotions and all that sort of stuff.
>
"Sometimes when you hit rock bottom it's a big wake-up call.
>
"Last week the first half wasn't great, the second half was really good so we've just got to make sure we take up where we left off last week."
>
The Warriors have defied expectations and a big injury list to sit in seventh place with a 5-5 record, the same as the Tigers'.
>
They have lost Sam Rapira (knee), James Maloney (back) and Micheal Luck (hand) for this match but have won six of the last seven games between the clubs.
>
Ian Henderson replaces Luck, Joel Moon comes in for Maloney and Jesse Royal starts at prop with Sione Lousi and Jeremy Latimore added to the bench.
>
Meanwhile, former Warrior Wade McKinnon will need to overcome a hamstring injury before debuting for new club the Tigers.
>
Simmons said McKinnon was likely to be two weeks away from NRL action.

Some interesting news there. McKinnon won't play against the dogs then the bye so thats 3 weeks really hopefully he can settle in

I agree Bug.
When the main string to your bow is expansive attacking footy why put it back in the bag to try to outgrind teams that do it a whole lot better than us. We need to find a balance.

I agree with that approach.

Farah imo has been out of form for a long time (most of last year and all of this year) and last week imo was a massive improvement in that he played within himself and tried to work around the ruck. It wasn't a great game but he can build on that.

Marshall had been flying but has gone to woefully out of form during the last 5 odd weeks. He needs to simply concentrate on his running game predominately and getting involved. He will always set up a couple of tries for us each game even if he is playing poorly. His problem is the mistakes and bad options at the wrong time.

Our two gun players need to play within themselves as they imo have been the major reason for our poor play this year.

The team also needs to hold the ball. If we do that we have a chance.

The expansive footy can come when we get some form.

What are we doing to ourselves? Does Sheens want us to slog out games and lose by two points? Because that's what i can see happening. We are an attacking team we have the best record at long range tries if we don't score them or don't even attempt to attack from long range where do our points come from? and where do our wins come from? , if you watch the early games that we won this year the long range try won us most of those games now the coach wants to stop this and play some sort of dragons style attack. If we want to get into an arm wrestle with the Warriors we will play into their hands. We are terrible at converting from close range we get down there and go sideways and sometimes backwards and then put in a kick that hits legs. Hopefully the players watched the video from last week of Ellis running hard on the angle at inside shoulders and we can do more of that, i'm sure Fifita charging like that will be very hard to stop.
I think grinding just isn't our style and takes away probably our only strength, dumb move.

@tiger05 said:

Farah imo has been out of form for a long time (most of last year and all of this year) and last week imo was a massive improvement in that he played within himself and tried to work around the ruck. It wasn't a great game but he can build on that.

Marshall had been flying but has gone to woefully out of form during the last 5 odd weeks. He needs to simply concentrate on his running game predominately and getting involved. He will always set up a couple of tries for us each game even if he is playing poorly. His problem is the mistakes and bad options at the wrong time.

Our two gun players need to play within themselves as they imo have been the major reason for our poor play this year.

I think because Farah is surrounded by more talent than he was last year, he doesn't have to carry the team so much anymore and thats detrimental to his game.

Why is "Witches Hat" allowed to talk to the media? He should stick to his rightful job…..of putting out witches hats

@TIGER said:
What are we doing to ourselves? Does Sheens want us to slog out games and lose by two points? Because that's what i can see happening. We are an attacking team we have the best record at long range tries if we don't score them or don't even attempt to attack from long range where do our points come from? and where do our wins come from? , if you watch the early games that we won this year the long range try won us most of those games now the coach wants to stop this and play some sort of dragons style attack. If we want to get into an arm wrestle with the Warriors we will play into their hands. We are terrible at converting from close range we get down there and go sideways and sometimes backwards and then put in a kick that hits legs. Hopefully the players watched the video from last week of Ellis running hard on the angle at inside shoulders and we can do more of that, i'm sure Fifita charging like that will be very hard to stop.
I think grinding just isn't our style and takes away probably our only strength, dumb move.

All of our best long range trys this season have come from a structured passing game and this will not change. It is an attempt to cut out the flicks coming out of trouble, the hail mary pass after a line break on the 3rd tackle etc. that have really cost us in the past

@Cultured Bogan said:
@tiger05 said:

I think because Farah is surrounded by more talent than he was last year, he doesn't have to carry the team so much anymore and thats detrimental to his game.

Farah has never has been a flamboyant player like Marshall, he is creative sure but more in the way he reads a game. When you look back his best form is always on the back of a mighty defensive effort and timing his darts from dummy half. I don't think he reads the game as well as he once did to be honest and this has often led to him taking poor options on the field.

Tigers can't grind..
Poor goalkicking strike rates, forwards not aiming up as a unified pack consistently, temptation to be too flashy, poor long range kicking game and not finding grass, unable to punish teams in the next set after getting a penalty, unable to find good distance with touchfinders, poor meterage from the first 4 hit-ups, inability to pull the ball up on short range kicking raids close to the oppositions line, Simmons assisting in coaching..
Tigers will need to try and blow the Warriors off the park from the first whistle..

i think to remember that we've heard this type of talk in the previous years. I wish wests tigers would do their talking on the field. cant believe mckinnon is injured - what rotten luck - we wont see him for probably 3 weeks.

@Cultured Bogan said:

Huh….what????

Robbie's form is determined by the players around him.....that's a good one....

Shouldn't it be easier for him........

Still confused....

@Geo. said:
@Cultured Bogan said:

Huh….what????

Robbie's form is determined by the players around him.....that's a good one....

Shouldn't it be easier for him........

Still confused....

Well you look at him last year and 2007/8 he carried the team and was easily the best player in the side. He has all these other options open to him now in Lui et al, and he seems to struggle a little.

Perhaps I didn't word my original comment well.

@smeghead said:
@TIGER said:

All of our best long range trys this season have come from a structured passing game and this will not change. It is an attempt to cut out the flicks coming out of trouble, the hail mary pass after a line break on the 3rd tackle etc. that have really cost us in the past

I think it suggests more than just cutting out flick passes.

Probably.

Whenever Simmons is quoted I try and just read what I want to hear as otherwise it just gets confusing and frustrating

I really feel for the fans in the sixth row of the stands who have enjoyed catching the flick passes in the past…they will be the ones who will miss out..

grind it out, Geez when have we ever?
Deadset it is like getting down on hands and knees and barking back at a dog.
We need to play to our strengths and get the basics right for once.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back