Football Gods v Sides Mentality??

Eddie

I'm still struggling to work out our team this season. We are 11-6 and virtually sitting equal 2nd, a result at this stage of the season everyone should be thrilled about. However I think for the majority of the season we have been the same if not worse at times then the previous 4 seasons,and fans seem almost just as frustrated with selections and performances. We have pulled 5 games out in the last 5 minutes. That is remarkable. That is 10 points that makes or breaks your season. They are the 8-10 points that went down the drain between 2006-2009 in all those frustrating 2 point losses. What im asking is are we heading for a massive fall/collapse, or are we maturing as a group and finally learning how to compete week in week out and be a tough footy side?

I kept saying between 2006-2009 it wasn't a fluke that we kept losing the close ones. Because we didn't want it bad enough and were not organised enough in those last 20 minutes. Well this season at the very least I think the group is very determined. I think it shows a lot of character to pull out games in the last 5 to 10 minutes continually. Even a bit of belief and confidence. Our defence, even though off the boil tonight has certainly picked up and that is a good sign of attitude within the ranks

On the flip side of the coin I think we have been the luckiest team in the competition this season. And doesn't that feel good. Between 2006 and 2009 we couldn't buy a close win or a 50/50 call. I have said at times it is better to be lucky then good and we have won 9 games by 1-12 this season, where as I think Souths have lost 6 games by 1-6\. Winning penalty counts 9-2, last weeks forward pass to Zillman pulled back incorrectly, the forward pass when the Dogs would of scored to make it 18-12\. Finally this stuff is going our way, however we can't keep relying on.

Just trying to work out where our team is. If we keep playing like this are we close to another hiding like we copped against Souths, or a limp effort in the finals. Or are we showing the strong mentality to win when playing below our best, grinding games out. I struggle to believe we are the 2nd best team in the comp?? But very happy to be there and credit has to be given for that regardless of the nature of the performances, its a results business.

does anybody here watch other teams?

who is so much better than us?

Saints - Penrith - Parra?

I dont care how we do it I just want to play finals footy this year if we dont go any further then that I dont care

just make the dam finals

I was like that at the start of the year but now we are well placed for a top 4 spot, I want to see us take advantage of that. How many points do people think will guarantee 4th this year? 36?

@NZTiger said:
I was like that at the start of the year but now we are well placed for a top 4 spot, I want to see us take advantage of that. How many points do people think will guarantee 4th this year? 36?

It's been 32 most years, I'll say that again since Storm are out.

@Eddie said:
I'm still struggling to work out our team this season. We are 11-6 and virtually sitting equal 2nd, a result at this stage of the season everyone should be thrilled about. However I think for the majority of the season we have been the same if not worse at times then the previous 4 seasons,and fans seem almost just as frustrated with selections and performances. We have pulled 5 games out in the last 5 minutes. That is remarkable. That is 10 points that makes or breaks your season. They are the 8-10 points that went down the drain between 2006-2009 in all those frustrating 2 point losses. What im asking is are we heading for a massive fall/collapse, or are we maturing as a group and finally learning how to compete week in week out and be a tough footy side?

I kept saying between 2006-2009 it wasn't a fluke that we kept losing the close ones. Because we didn't want it bad enough and were not organised enough in those last 20 minutes. Well this season at the very least I think the group is very determined. I think it shows a lot of character to pull out games in the last 5 to 10 minutes continually. Even a bit of belief and confidence. Our defence, even though off the boil tonight has certainly picked up and that is a good sign of attitude within the ranks

On the flip side of the coin I think we have been the luckiest team in the competition this season. And doesn't that feel good. Between 2006 and 2009 we couldn't buy a close win or a 50/50 call. I have said at times it is better to be lucky then good and we have won 9 games by 1-12 this season, where as I think Souths have lost 6 games by 1-6\. Winning penalty counts 9-2, last weeks forward pass to Zillman pulled back incorrectly, the forward pass when the Dogs would of scored to make it 18-12\. Finally this stuff is going our way, however we can't keep relying on.

Just trying to work out where our team is. If we keep playing like this are we close to another hiding like we copped against Souths, or a limp effort in the finals. Or are we showing the strong mentality to win when playing below our best, grinding games out. I struggle to believe we are the 2nd best team in the comp?? But very happy to be there and credit has to be given for that regardless of the nature of the performances, its a results business.

i have to say your post is a good one,mainly because you have kept true to your word.
that being,just win the game.
hate posters that move the goal posts.

what is hard about judging us is that it is totally different to past years.
and the main difference is that we have a top 4 defense.
even more impressive is how we have defended at the end of the game.

in our last 8 games only 2 teams have scored against us in the last 20mins.
during the same time only 6 tries have been scored against us in the second half and 3 of those were against the saints.
for all the bitching that is made about or bench and it's use,defensively the combos are working.

the mentality of the side is definitely different to previous years….this is making the difference I think. In previous years, we would have lost last night.

On getting the 50/50 calls we are due as in the past i think we have been dudded in that area. so what goes around comes around and we deserve our turn.

Have to agree. Hope we continue to get them for the rest of the year.

I don't mind winning ugly, but I still think we are winning in spite of Sheens' selections and not because of them. I think we could do much more damage with smarter team selections. (i.e not moving Benji to #7, Lawrence to #6 etc.)

It may have been difficult to get totally fired up for that game last night, but it does concern me that a better team will go on with it when we don't show up with the right attitude. That is what happened when Souths flogged us.

But there's still a few rounds to go to get our team in shape. Another good 80 minute defensive effort is due, and will help that happen (and we do have the players to achieve it), along with at least a few games in a row for Lui to work his way back in the swing of things and allow Benji to run the ball a bit more and get the attack flowing. If both those happen we will see a cohesive effort that will be hard to beat.

So while we may be considered a little fortunate to be in the position we are in there is still plenty of time left to show everyone we deserve to be there.

:laughing: Winning in spite of Sheens….

Hope it continues......

Farah says it best....Just Win.....

Eddie–-good post

Hard to get a handle on how good we are going. We are getting a few calls go our way and winning lots of close games.Although it has to be remembered we have been playing without a no7 and a very ify goal kicker, so to win all those close games is a big effort.

The experience factor is the difference to years gone by, their isnt the silly penalties and their isnt as many dumb plays. They are much better at the grind. Lui holds the key,if he can stay fit and regains some half decent form this club could advance well into September.

I think they are going a little better than I have given them credit, its now up to Sheens to get the team right 1 thru 17

I see that we have won 8 games by less than 13 points this season, which is the highest number by any team. All those close wins have made a huge difference to where we are on the table. It reminds me of a few years ago when Cronulla were right up at the top of the table because they were winning all their close games. Of course, they weren't able to find another gear once they got to the finals.

I am hoping that once we get a proper halfback in the team again, our attack will click. If we do, we can go all the way. Otherwise, I am not expecting much from the team come September.

@Geo. said:
:laughing: Winning in spite of Sheens….

Hope it continues......

Farah says it best....Just Win.....

In spite of his selections Geo. Selective quoting there. Sheens can coach but his team selections leave ALOT to be desired.

Anyway I am extremely pleased, we are equal second and baring a complete catastrophe we will definitely make the 8, and really should make the top 4\. In the past we would have lost most of those 8 games by less than 13 points that we've won this season, so it feels good to be on the other end finally.

I think there is a big mentality component. E.g. last night we get the penalty 38 out, run a set and go for the field goal. Even though we missed, there was the mentality of preparing to shut a game out.

In years gone by we'd get to even-pegging and then panic about trying to hit the lead… the SCG game vs Souths 2009 comes to mind.

This year, when things get tight we seem to have game plans and the mental capacity to calm and carry them out. And our attacking flair seems to see us win by 10 once we do hit the lead. I think at least 3-4 times already we've hit the front late and then scored again to blow it out, riding the player home like Benji last night.

I know what you mean Eddie about feeling a bit wierd about this years play.
The top three sides at the moment are Dragons, Panthers and us.

Saints are a well oiled machine who are very professional, patient and methodical about their approach to games. They usually blow sides off the park in the last 20 minutes of a game (as they did with us). They are very well coached and follow his tactics to a tee. They do however give the indication that they dont have too many more gears to go up. When the finals come along I have serious doubts as to whether they can lift as much as some other teams are bound to do.

Penrith have dropped form recently but have had a very good season up until then with some games showcasing their devastating attacking ability. They have a big forward pack and a sleek, talented backline. I think when they make the finals they will go up the necessary gears to take them to the prelims at least.

Tigers to me have been very inconsistant and at times downright dissapointing this year, yet they proudly sit just 4 points off their maiden minor premiership. There have been a number of wins this year where I have felt pretty deflated afterwards due to our stumbling, bumbling attack or weak goal line defense. Our kicking in general play and attitude to the kickchase has been diabolical - however they are both starting to improve. Maybe it is a case of us as Wests Tigers supporters being in a different headspace to other supporters as we expect so much from our boys in attack. Our usual M.O is to hit the field running and try and blow sides off the park in the first 30 minutes. In years gone by when the boys did this we all stood and cheered and backslapped each other and proclaimed to everyone who would listen that we had a brilliant team. Of course as has been proven this was a misleading lie, a false sense of security, we could attack but werent really excelling in any other part of the game.
This year however we are starting to win games that historically we would not have, winning them ugly as well.
There has been so many games this year where I thought we were horrible, yet on reflection you cant help but smile when you think that yes whilst we are not playing consistent good football, we are beating good sides who are throwing a lot at us. Some of our comebacks and second half shutouts in defense have been incredible. It makes me feel pretty confident about our chances that I see us playing like we are and still winning - in fact being in the top three sides in the comp when we have so much improvement in us. We can still go up 2 or 3 gears…..something most other sides dont have in them.

Tim Sheens's stubborn team selections are the only thing that has me worried, he must play the guys in their correct positions and get some great combo's going in the following 7 round games where we will be put to the sword by Manly, Souths, Penrith, Parramatta, Melbourne and the Gold Coast most games of which are to be played away from our home grounds.

These games can play us into so much form that when we hit the finals we are completly tapered and ready to smash everyone....keeping our 100% record in tact. They can also be our downfall and demoralise us out of the finals yet again...it is a very hard draw. However this year there is a feeling that the boys have matured so much mentally that the second option wont happen.

It's gonna be a hell of a ride.........

If we make the finals this season it is a sucess IMO - after 5 years we need it! That said, we sit equal second, and my expectations are lifting. True, we have not hit form - but we have a habit of finding that at the business end of the regular season, and if that happens, strap yourself in.

Great post Stryker.

The Saints will succeed when they stick to the plan. However if they are exposed and points are put against them they can't play ad-lib footy and thus find it extremely hard to put points on the board when they are behind. I feel they are already at their best and won't find that extra gear. Having said all that, just like every other side in this premiership, they are very beatable.

Penriff are the Bulldogs of 2010\. They've overachieved largely thanks to Walsh's kicking game and Kingston. I still make point that Kingston has been the signing of 2010, Parramatta are definitely missing his direction. They have dropped the last two games, but instead of writing them off, I would be more concerned as this would be the time to drop a couple of cheap losses before gaining some real momentum for the finals charge. Unless you've got a great backline to diffuse their kicking game and counter their mobile muscle up front they will always be hard to contain. However, I don't think of Elliot as a advocate of an expansve game, so Penriff will probably dish very much the same until the finals.

Tigers are neither of the above. Without stating the obvious and saying our defensive efforts, I think patience if anything has been our biggest asset this year. In the close games we've largely waited for the opportunity to close it out (Farah's kick for Brown in the Broncos game, Benji's field goal against Titans, our second half revival against the Cowgirls,) where as some have already mentioned we would have tried to force our hand and it would always backfire. The fellas have seemingly developed the ability to know when to chance their arm and when to play percentages. We've been hard hit by injuries and we have been missing both our first choice halfbacks on numerous occaisions and to still grind out wins with players out of position should be a rather scary prospect for the opposition because it leaves plenty to be feared when we return to full strength.

It's comforting to know that you're sitting equal second with the knowledge that not all the tricks are spent and that there's plenty more to come.

Considering the injuries we have had and the team selections made by Sheens I reckon we are doing well to be coming third. Our attack was never going to be as good with Benji at halfback and Lawrence at five eighth. They are both very good players but we aren't going to be as good with players out of their best positions. When Lui comes back our attack should get better. The team does look fitter because in alot of the close games they keep fighting until the final whistle and they still seem to have more energy than the other teams. I think Folkes has made a difference to the team and I'm glad he came back from the West Indies. ;-D

That little extra depth we have this year is key.

Lets face it,Fitzy(who played very well against Newcastle and NZ) Brown ,Daniela and especially Fulton and Mackinnon helped us to win yhe games we have been losing last few years.

And now,if we also hit form we are in position to do something about it.

For me Penrith,Wests,Souths,Parramatta and the Gold Coast ,the side that hits form best out of that lot will win it.Saints and Manly can only win it if the above fail to fire.

Members online

Back