Forwards

hadds75

I thought out forwards were dissapointing today. They were good in defence but I think in attack they just got smashed and Canberras packed had alot more metres in them. We never really went more than 40 metres in a set without a line break.

Manlys match next week shapes up to be a huge match for our season (chance to win 4 in a row with roosters and sharks the following weeks), and Manlys pack is one of the most physical packs in the comp. Our pack will really have to step up I think next week to try and combat this. Last time we played Manly, all be it a while ago, our pack was clearly dominated and liek today we gained no metres.

Our pack always seems to be dominated by Manly.

I'll give our pack the benefit of the doubt because they did do a tonne of defence where they rushed up off the line, that wouldve taken it out of them, it was also wet out there which wouldve slowed things down and make it more tiring and you could see how tired both sides were in the 2nd half.

Not the biggest pack with Galloway and Heighington out. They are 2 of the 3 stars of the pack alongside Ellis. I think this very young pack is doing pretty well without him.

@hadds75 said:
I thought out forwards were dissapointing today. They were good in defence but I think in attack they just got smashed and Canberras packed had alot more metres in them. We never really went more than 40 metres in a set without a line break.

Manlys match next week shapes up to be a huge match for our season (chance to win 4 in a row with roosters and sharks the following weeks), and Manlys pack is one of the most physical packs in the comp. Our pack will really have to step up I think next week to try and combat this. Last time we played Manly, all be it a while ago, our pack was clearly dominated and liek today we gained no metres.

I disagree. The conditions today were such where we have seen the Tigers struggle a lot in previous matches but they aimed up well in defence and we had 3 players in the pack make over 100 metres in attack, in Gibbs, Payten and Ellis. Had Galloway and Heighnington been fit, that's another 2 players who would have stood a better than average chance of making over 100 metres in attack.

Manly will be a huge test for the forward pack though. Whatmough has shrugged off his early season slump to be carving up teams and big George Rose is getting across the tryline and making good metres, as is Jason King. The Tigers will need to control the ball and move the Manly pack around if they are going to roll them next week.

Gees some people are never pleased. I thought our forwards "laid the platform" this week.

The forwards played as a unit …they won us the game...blind freddy can see that....

We can't expect huge metres from the current pack. The likes of Gibbs,Payten, Galea and Payne. They are players that don't pack much punch. However there were all excellent in defence and today combined they hit hard and didn't miss.

In an ideal world we have perhaps Galloway, Heighto and a fit Daine laurie tearing into teams. However defensive type forwarss do have a place in teams.

We just need to find the right mix. The guys out there today did very well in terms of playing to their abilities and strengths.

Pfft is this a joke?

Payten had one of his best games this season. Gibbs is going from strength to strength. Danny Galea and Corey Payne are two of the Tigers biggest hitters in defence (mind you I agree they lack penetration when running the ball)…do I have to go on?

Back