Funding approved for Campbelltown Centre of Excellence

Not if you know anything about politics Mr Dastyari
frugile?,my burrow Jack r C is more efficient with an abuccus,yet he has no thumbs, 1st day on the job he promised not just the servants,but all public workers a pay rise,did he get tippysy on Perrion n a straw full of power

Story about funding for Leichhardt in the DT, anyone got a subscription?

Wests Tigers to dump big-stadium strategy in bid to play exclusively at Leichhardt and Campbelltown​

Wests Tigers are set to dump their big-stadium strategy in a move that will have major ramifications for both Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium.

Dean Ritchie
May 23, 2023 - 8:00AM

Wests Tigers will go back to the future by axing its big-stadium strategy for a shock return to suburban ground football — and the club will seek private investors to save dilapidated Leichhardt Oval.

The Tigers plan to dump playing games at Accor Stadium and CommBank Stadium next season for a full-time return to Leichhardt and Campbelltown Stadium, the club’s traditional home grounds.

The club is also desperate to secure funding to upgrade Leichhardt Oval, and is now looking to private equity after the previous state government reneged on a handshake funding agreement.

The major development comes after Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis last year said that “by the end of 2023 there will be no further elite sports played” at Leichhardt Oval unless funding is provided.

It will be wonderful news for Wests Tigers fans, coming after they crammed the famous old ground to cheer on a 66-18 win over North Queensland on Saturday night.

LOCKING UP THE HOME FRONT
A plan, expected to be ratified by the club’s board, would see five games each played at Leichhardt and Campbelltown from next season. A Magic Round home match would be contested in Brisbane next year with another to be played at the club’s rural partner, Tamworth.

Wests Tigers’ move comes amid an ongoing push for major sporting franchises to ditch suburban grounds for high-capacity arenas. Tigers officials know the move would cost the club financially.

“Leichhardt and Campbelltown stadiums are woven into the fabric of Wests Tigers. We figure, moving forward, they will be our predominant, if not dominant home grounds,” Hagipantelis said.

“We would be looking at playing almost all of our home games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt, perhaps from next year. That would (mean) moving away from CommBank and Accor.

“We take one game to Tamworth and have a home game next year at Magic Round so we could be looking at a five-five (game) split (between Leichhardt and Campbelltown).

“The club may even cost itself money by avoiding these larger stadiums but our focus is on what is in the best interests of the club and we believe that is a local stadium policy.

“I anticipate that next year this will be the programming and it will be resolved by the board in the not-too-distant future.

“CommBank Stadium is an incredible facility but it is not a home ground for Wests Tigers and never will be. Accor Stadium has also proven to be incredibly useful and valuable to us from an economic perspective.

“But we need to consider what’s best interests for the club, our team, NRLW and pathways programs and we truly believe those interests are best served by returning to our traditional home grounds.

“Our strength is in our supporter base and that stretches from the inner-west all the way to the southwest.”

PRIVATE INVESTMENT PUSH
There is a general agreement that Leichhardt and Campbelltown require a refurbishment in line with other NRL grounds – and that could mean private investment.

“We all readily acknowledge that Leichhardt needs work and it’s not of NRL standard as far as change rooms and corporate facilities,” Hagipantelis said.

“There was, of course, a promise of $50m which the Government reneged on and, unfortunately, there isn’t an election – state or Federal – for quite some time so it will be difficult for us to bring any pressure to bear on government to fund any upgrade to Leichhardt Oval.

“But we are in earnest discussions with council – Campbelltown, Liverpool and the Inner-West – about what can be done to raise funding and we are prepared to explore all options, including private equity into the stadiums, if available, to help fund refurbishments of those stadiums.

“We would even be open, and in fact encourage, private equity. We’re exploring those opportunities; investors who are prepared to invest in the redevelopment of a stadium for a return on that investment whereby they would have an equitable holding in those facilities, an ownership share.

“There would be some arrangement made where they receive a return on their investment as a joint venture with council, who are open to discuss the opportunity but there would be a detailed and lengthy process to get through from a council perspective.

“I can’t envisage any scenario where Wests Tigers will not play at Leichhardt Oval in the future. Leichhardt Oval is an institution and it will always figure largely in the Wests Tigers calendar so the suggestion we will never play another game there has got no basis or merit whatsoever.”

MAN BEHIND LEICHHARDT SCOREBOARD
He was the busiest man in Sydney on Saturday night but Big Baz wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Barry Maguire, 59, is the much-loved scoreboard attendant at his treasured Leichhardt Oval.

Given Leichhardt’s famous old scoreboard is manual, Maguire was flat out on Saturday evening as his Wests Tigers posted 11 exhilarating tries, and 11 goals, in a historic 66-18 rout of North Queensland.

Maguire — nicknamed Big Baz — has been working inside the dark and cramped Leichhardt Oval scoreboard — located behind the Wayne Pearce Hill — for 23 years. He is a Leichhardt institution.

“Saturday was the best night I have ever been involved with at Leichhardt Oval,” Maguire said. “The crowd there was absolutely unbelievable.

“Each time I went to put up a score they started roaring (in anticipation). We want 40, we want 50, we want 60 – it just kept going and going.

“Normally I’m copping it from the opposition fans because we’re getting flogged.

“The scoreboard inside is tiny and dark but, mate, I wouldn’t want to be in any other place. It couldn’t have been a better night. It was sensational.

“Everyone always says to me that I have the best seat in the house and truly it is, especially at night, all the people in front of the hill, unbelievable, mate. You can feel the atmosphere.”

Maguire was born and bred in Balmain but now lives in Warwick Farm and works for Doors Depot in Smithfield.

His good mate, Tigers legend Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach, added: “Baz’s fingernails would have nearly fallen off putting the scores up.

“He is a champion, salt of the earth. He’s a mad Tigers supporter. He has been around the club as long as I can remember.”

Last week, Maguire was given life membership of the Balmain Tigers.

Sadly for Maguire, Wests Tigers won’t play another game at Leichhardt Oval this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
“We all readily acknowledge that Leichhardt needs work and it’s not of NRL standard as far as change rooms and corporate facilities,” Hagipantelis said.

Maybe this clown should leave the corporate areas for once. Many more areas of the ground are in greater need of upgrades.

Back