Gallant

hadds75

Wasnt his best game.

I thought his positional play was once again much below average. Its rare in any game he plays he catches it on the full and immediately charges. Opposition usually always finds grass.

His defence played a role in each of the 3 tries.

I guess id still rather a fullback who has some spark though and might make mistakes as opposed to a safe one who doesnt make mistakes but offers nothing.

@hadds75 said:
Wasnt his best game.

I thought his positional play was once again much below average. Its rare in any game he plays he catches it on the full and immediately charges. Opposition usually always finds grass.

I guess id still rather a fullback who has some spark though and might make mistakes as opposed to a safe one who doesnt make mistakes but offers nothing.

Are you serious ???

I though he was good !! Dont blame him for the Watmough tries they should have been stopped a long time before they got to MM.

He was very good tonight! Sniffing around the ruck like a rat looking for cheese !! Go Mighty Mouse !!!

I would disagree.

It is very hard for any fullback to stop a try when the front line fails so completely.

That and the one occasion he has Choc held and he was still allowed by the reffs to play on

Well he pulled off one try saver…..tried his guts out in the ones that where scored and he was filthy when he missed Watmough the second time...

Bug he will be the fullback....It's too obvious.....

Didn't get caught once and pushed back into the in goal and safe under the high ball...

If the refs where half fair dinkum in the Ruck the Mouse would have been off for the prize...It will happen...

Gallant....Outstanding

Good game.

I thought his positional play was once again good. Was in position for grubbers, bombs and long kicks. Manly kicked well.

His defence was solid and brave. Two first half try saving tackleS.

One again provided spark, backed up all game and made some nice breaks returning the ball.

i disagree
could be the 2nd best fullback we have ever had at wests tigers imo. whilst he has only played 10 games or so i think his postioning and last man defence has been outstanding over the past month and has most of the comp covered for speed, very safe hands with mongrel to boot.
Yes i have fallen in love with him over the past month and from what i have seen of him in the trials and for wests subs this year (although i havent seen anywhere near every game) he has been outstanding.

@hadds75 said:
Wasnt his best game.

Try 1 Williams after he had run 20 mtrs and pushed off Farah and 2 others - Gallant tackled him but too close to the line
TRy 2 Poor inside defense and clear run of 20 mtrs before Gallant
Try 3 poor read in defense by Morris ( who had only been on for 2 mins ) and Galea on the outside - miracle if Gallant stops him

I guess in reality every try is going to involve the defensive fullback - they are the last line

Gallant was a champion last night his positioning is excellent.He has surely earned himself a contract with his past four performances alone

I also disagree…..

I thought he brought the ball strongly and was always sniffing around the ruck looking to make a break.

Trying to stop Watmough so close to your line was ni impossible.

The only one I think he should have stopped was when watmough beat him with speed as Gallant had a good shot at him from behind. He timed his tackle badly there. But that was the only real lapse. (I don;t think the argument that he shouldn;t have had to make the tackle holds up because in defence a fullback is mainly there to clean up when other stuff up).
1 mistake in that game though on top of the good things he did in defence is more than acceptable (& yes watmough was held on the ground in the first half when the ref let him play on)

The thing I did like about last night was it was the first time I got to see a few bombs put up to him & he did a good job with all the ones that were his to take.
For what it's worth i've been converted. He'll do me for a season or three.

@smeghead said:
I would disagree.

It is very hard for any fullback to stop a try when the front line fails so completely.

That and the one occasion he has Choc held and he was still allowed by the reffs to play on

I agree too mate Gallant has potential to be a great fullback for the tigers every week he is getting better and better!.

@diedpretty said:
Try 1 Williams after he had run 20 mtrs and pushed off Farah and 2 others - Gallant tackled him but too close to the line
TRy 2 Poor inside defense and clear run of 20 mtrs before Gallant
Try 3 poor read in defense by Morris ( who had only been on for 2 mins ) and Galea on the outside - miracle if Gallant stops him

I guess in reality every try is going to involve the defensive fullback - they are the last line

Thats true about the last line, but i dont think any of those excuses are warranted. You cant just say this guy had a 20 metre build up etc every time.

Everytime gallant met the player there was at least 10 metres to the try line so ample time to stop them. Whether Farah, Morris, Payne, whoever missed him first yes thats true…. but Gallants defence on each of those 3 tries to be honest was embarrasing.

His attack is good, and adds somthing else to our game. Think everyone would rather a player with little deficiences defensively and positionally ( i dont think his positional play is great but each to there own ) , but can add flair to our attack than someone who just gets the job done making no mistakes but with no flair.

Gallant has been the best fullback the club has had for the last two years. Finally he is getting a fair go and proving his worth.

Latest posts

Members online

Back