GOLDEN POINT

It’s great to have a result if you’re a gambler or one of the sports betting agencies embedded in the game, and fun for a novelty, but in a game that’s been tougher out having the field-goal-a-thon at the end is always unsatisfying.

And I’m not sure why the NRL thinks draws are undesirable. They’re rather rare, add another possible result and hence interest and some of the most ,emerald sporting contests ever (eg tied tests) have been draws.

Time to drop golden point.

@ said:
Was it Farah that got penalised a couple of years ago and we lost on that goal?

Not sure but Todd Payton got pinned in golden point against Canberra and they kicked the goal to win, and that game was at Cambo also

11 golden point games settled by a penalty, we have been in 5 of them I think

I also don't like GP, but bad refereeing and GP aren't linked. The refs could have dudded us in the last seconds of regular time just as easily.

The real issue we had yesterday is the refs finally put the whistles away and let the teams play, until a marginal call like that when they could have blown dozens of penalties in the lead up to that moment if they were consistent.

Whilst it makes great television viewing most times, I am not a fan of the current format. I would prefer to see golden try, and no penalty kicks at goal or field goals allowed. Now raises the issue should you have a penalty try? But still has to be better than kicks for goals determining a game that has gone into extra time.

There have been countless media polls over the years and its always around 70% wanting to scrap golden point.

Yeah you either go two ways , it's a draw

Or you play out the 10 minutes extra time no matter the score

No golden point , golden try golden penalty

No need to tweak it for premiership rounds
Just get rid of it….its too open for corruption the marquee teams in this competition always get the 50/50 calls....the AFL dont have it, but they are a better run game

Had to look this up because it was bothering me. The source is wiki so not sure how accurate it is, but the table looks pretty legit - it even has last night's GP game already added. It's way too long to post on here, so here's a quick rundown of Wests Tigers record in GP.

We have the worst record of any team (no surprise there) playing in 16 GP matches and only winning 4! Bulldogs have the best.

Of the 12 we have lost, 4 of them were as a result of a penalty given to the opposition in GP extra time:

20-18 v Canberra in July 2006
22-20 v Parra in March 2007
32-30 v Saints in Sep 2015
9-7 v Broncos last night

We lost a few to tries being scored against us and of course the rest by field goals. Of the 4 we have won, only one game was decided by a penalty to us and that was against Cronulla in April 2007 - we won 14-12\. I think I remember the Sharks blowing up deluxe about that, much like us last night.

Anyway here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Rugby_League_golden_point_games

touche,tigerdave.
golden point and or video refs were innovations we were told we had to have.
a draw would have been fine.

Golden try however, kick field goals and penalty goals but they don't win you the game they add to your score. If no try highest points wins or draw.

@ said:
Yeah you either go two ways , it's a draw

Or you play out the 10 minutes extra time no matter the score

No golden point , golden try golden penalty

I'd prefer it this way, play out the extra 10mins.

I say scrap golden point in club games and a draw is a draw, in the final series where we have to get a result it should be Golden try in extra time and we would see the real winner thru attrition of the fittest. FIX IT NOW THAT WAS AN ABOMINATION OF A CALL

Just scrap golden point and leave it as a draw. Sure, in finals you need a different format but there's no logical reason for it in the regular season. The games that end in a draw are almost always the most exciting and nail biting ones. The team s generally trade field goal attempts before full time. What's the point extending the field goal competition for another 10 minutes. I don't think anyone was ever dissatisfied with a draw.

Either play the full 10 minutes of extra time or scrap it all together. Personally I’d rather not have it.

Back