Good news for 'Mighty Mouse'

weststigers

Ben Blaschke NRL.com

It has been a miserable week for injured Wests Tigers fullback Shannon ‘Mighty Mouse’ Gallant but he can rest easy today after the club last night threw him an NRL lifeline.

The 23-year-old, currently on a base contract of only $20,000, is set to sign a new one-year-deal this week – just days after a badly broken leg threatened to derail his career.

Gallant’s manager, Martin Tauber, will contact his client today to go over the terms of the Tigers’ offer but they are expected to accept the deal within days.

“I haven’t spoken to Shannon yet – I think he has gone home to Newcastle because he has been given the week off – but I would say that we will accept the offer,” Tauber told NRL.com.

“There was some concern about the opportunities that might come up from other clubs.

“There was one other club that was interested but they will pull the pin now because he will be out for six weeks and nobody knows the result of the injury.

“But this will secure his future.

“He is a good footballer and he deserves his opportunity.”

The Tigers have offered a one-year deal with an option in their favour for 2011 and 2012 having yesterday revised their initial proposal.

Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell called Tauber last night after the club had initially feared they may not be able to offer Gallant enough to stop him from quitting the NRL and joining the police force.

“It was something we were going to talk about earlier this week but unfortunately Shannon was hurt on the weekend so that slowed things up a bit,” Wests Tigers’ chief executive Stephen Humphries said.
“It’s been tough for him and the fact is that he is a player on the fringe of our cap.

“But we’ve certainly given Shannon the best that we can offer which is better than he has had.

“We’re hopeful that it will be finalised.”

It is believed that one sticking point has been whether Gallant accepts a flat salary or a lesser deal with incentives for playing first grade – a deal similar to the one he is on this season.

“If he plays consistent first grade he can get a decent earn,” Humphries said.

“There are a few different ways that we could structure the arrangement and we’re open to that.

“It depends what balance he wants to strike there.”

While Gallant is yet to be considered a certain starter for the Tigers when fit, the leg injury he sustained during last Sunday’s 17-10 win over the Roosters has thrown the club’s plans for a last-minute surge to the finals into disarray.

Having finally struck a balance in the halves with Tim Moltzen at halfback, Gallant’s absence has forced coach Tim Sheens into a drastic reshuffle with Moltzen returning to fullback and rookie Robert Lui making his NRL debut in the no.7 jersey for this weekend’s clash with Cronulla.

Tauber said the Tigers’ problems were evidence of Gallant’s importance to the side this season.

“I know they say his height and stature go against him but he has proven that he has the heart of Richard the Lionheart,” he said.

**Humphries said it was unlikely that the Tigers would look elsewhere to finalise their squad for 2010.**

“Our focus is really to retain what we think is a pretty good team at the moment,” he said.

“We’ve got a couple of players (John Morris, Dean Collis and Pene Tagive) moving on so it’s just a few players in our top tier and one or two in our second tier that we’re playing with at the moment.”

So that ''We will sign one representative player per year'' comment from Sheens at the start of the year was what?
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Membership recruitment speak.

I love our fans.

For weeks crying about Gallant not being signed up. We sign him, so something new to whinge about comes out.

@innsaneink said:
So that ''We will sign one representative player per year'' comment from Sheens at the start of the year was what?
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

Great news for Mighty Mouse…He has stuck by Wests...Wests look like sticking by him

Hey INK....Don't think we have finalised our roster for 2010 yet.....
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Ashton Simms...............FIJI......Captain.......

@innsaneink said:
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

It probably will be be changed to _future_ representative player…............. which hardly ever happens for us anyway.

What Im wondering is why only one year? why not 2-3? If he has a big year next year then his market value will go through the roof when he needs to sign another one next year.

@Jazza said:
What Im wondering is why only one year? why not 2-3? If he has a big year next year then his market value will go through the roof when he needs to sign another one next year.

One year, further option for two more in our favour

Great news for Mighty Mouse…He has stuck by Wests...Wests look like sticking by him
>

>
>
Humphries said it was unlikely that the Tigers would look elsewhere to finalise their squad for 2010.
>
Dunno why he'd say that if they were looking at more players outside our club.
\

I love our fans.
>
For weeks crying about Gallant not being signed up. We sign him, so something new to whinge about comes out

You may be OK with Sheens telling porkies.
Im not.

@innsaneink said:
@Geo. said:
>

>
>
Humphries said it was unlikely that the Tigers would look elsewhere to finalise their squad for 2010.
>

Unlikely doesn't mean won't if the opportunity arises…....

@TheSunTanSuperman said:
I love our fans.

For weeks crying about Gallant not being signed up. We sign him, so something new to whinge about comes out.

Yesssss…...its ordinary.

@Geo. said:
@innsaneink said:

Unlikely doesn't mean won't if the opportunity arises…....

True, but in my books 'unlikely' is closer to 'wont' than 'will'

Yesssss…...its ordinary.

So is lying.

Good news for us,hope we can somehow unload Payne and Halatau and keep Galea with a frontrower signing on to finish off.

@innsaneink said:
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

i can't believe you believed it was possible.
i said it at the time.

ink,you have been around long enough to know you take everything with a grain of salt when a coach talks in pro sport.especially when your team is not winning .

can someone refresh when this was actually said.
i can't remember if it was a print article,interview with actual audio or a membership recruitment drive or was it said just after farah or benji re-signed.

good to hear gallant looks like staying .
even if you prefer someone else to play fullback next year,this is one hell of a signing for our depth at fullback.
obviously not a bank breaker.
and even better to see someone who obviously loves the game so much for the right reasons being able to entertain us at any opportunity.

Yes sir, the right thing has definately been done here. The little bloke has been given his chance and he will grab it with both hands and run with it. The only reason he wasnt given a longer contract was they probably wanted to free up some cap for other signings but I bet there will be a gentlmans between them for upcomming seasons. Good one tigers. There is just nothing to cry about in that good news storey IMO.

@innsaneink said:
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

Maybe Mitch Brown bolter for the Aussie squad at the end of year:lol: :laughing:

Latest posts

Back