Good one Refs

badger

I was at the game last night and I thought the refereeing was among the best effort Ive seen all year. They started off with a few setteling penalties to set the tone but after that they really let the game flow. They seemed to let Manly lay all over the tackled players too long but after a while the Tigers started to do the same thing and were awarded the same latitude and at times they had a very skinny 10m but again this was policed with consistancey. Ive been a big critic of sub standard refereeing in the past and I know that its hard to be critical of the refs when your team wins but my honest opinion is that the refs had a blinder.

well I don't think any fair-minded person could say manly were angels for the final 73 minutes!

i thought the refs were pathetic. tackled players allowed to play on, high shots let go, players lying all over the ruck. i dont care how many penalties are in a game, its up to the players not to infringe, the refs should be calling it as they see it. A penalty is a penalty

Couldnt blow a penalty for holding down for the life of em. Cecchin kept SO quiet. I thought Hayne was gonna step in and blow a penalty being pocket ref.

are u serious? the refs were diabolical!

manlys intention was clear, hold us down for as long as possible, the refs wont blow a penalty every tackle.

early on the refs were awake to it and we got 4 penalties in the first 10 mins. after that the refs just gave up and let manly get away with it. im sick of refs not wanting to 'ruin a game'. manly were happy to give away a few penalties as they knew the refs wouldnt keep penalising them.

it got beyond a joke in the second half.

ohh and possibly the worst of the lot.

in the first half with 20 secs to go we get a drop out. manly simply walk off the field and the refs allow it.

with 5 mins to go ellis gets tackled in goal for a drop out. the refs call time off after 8 seconds!!! you are meant to get 40 seconds to drop it out.

then manly score to make it 19-18 and they call time off after 15 seconds with us walking back to the halfway line!!

thats 80 seconds that we SHOULDNT have had to defend against at the end of the game.

hmmm…..hard to agree to be honest. They might have been consistent but allowing slow the play the balls and deliberate stalling techniques hurts us more than most as it is such a vital part of our game.

What exactley do you guys want, my point is simply this. The tigers weren't penalised out of the contest for once but niether was Manly, to me, thats fair enough. Sure things got missed "from both sides" but the refs seemed to be consistant. IMO the game was allowed to flow and was a better spectacle for it and also allowed the better team to win on the night. As a tigers supporter thats all Im looking for. If you really want to be critical how about giving the car parking situation a serv. That was the only really pathetic thing about the night IMO.

@badger said:
What exactley do you guys want, my point is simply this. The tigers weren't penalised out of the contest for once but niether was Manly, to me, thats fair enough. Sure things got missed "from both sides" but the refs seemed to be consistant. IMO the game was allowed to flow and was a better spectacle for it and also allowed the better team to win on the night. As a tigers supporter thats all Im looking for. If you really want to be critical how about giving the car parking situation a serv. That was the only really pathetic thing about the night IMO.

i want the ref to call a penalty when its a penalty.
You want the refs to let things go in the name of a better spectacle, you are obviously happy for a tackled player to just get up and keep going despite the ball carrying arm obviously hitting the ground with the tackler still holding on. once i can let go, things get missed but 4-5 times in 1 game….come on rules are there for a reason.
a penalty count shouldnt be the barrometer (spelling?) for a refs performance and yes whilst consistancy comes into it that also can be misleading. a 0-0 count would show consistancy but it also shows blatant disregard for the rules and in this case whilst it was 4-5 i feel it was also a blatant disregard for the rules on too many occasions. its up to the players to follow the rules and up to the refs to police them.

Yeh i cant agree that the refs were good as far to many things were let go towards the end of the game. we could not buy a penalty and we deserved at least 3 that i can remember. i am all for a fast open game but not at the expense of the rules of the game. i know i can be a little biased but i was watching last nights game with a mate who is a Parra supporter and he wanted Manly to win so they have a better chance of making the 8 ( i think he fears the tigers ) and even he said that manly were allowed to get away with anything in that last 20\. 4 metres offside ( whatmough was the worst offender ) holding us down for way to long and dont get me started with the walking off the mark.

so no the refs were not that good but at least we hung on for the win as if we had of lost we would all be blowing up a treat at the refs.

@badger said:
I was at the game last night and I thought the refereeing was among the best effort Ive seen all year. They started off with a few setteling penalties to set the tone but after that they really let the game flow. They seemed to let Manly lay all over the tackled players too long but after a while the Tigers started to do the same thing and were awarded the same latitude and at times they had a very skinny 10m but again this was policed with consistancey. Ive been a big critic of sub standard refereeing in the past and I know that its hard to be critical of the refs when your team wins but my honest opinion is that the refs had a blinder.

I am with you badger; I thought the refs did a pretty good job.

A lot of the bleating in this thread reflects the fact that most fans have become as bad as most referees and expect every little thing to be penalised. The number of games that are decided in the NRL these days by the referees, often wrongly is quite ridiculous. Hayne and Co may have let a few things go last night, but at the end of the day it was the players who decided the result which is how it should be.

Yeah a tackled player being allowed to run the ball being let go.

Thats great for the game

@smeghead said:
Yeah a tackled player being allowed to run the ball being let go.

Thats great for the game

Smeg the way the game is played now it comes down to whether a player is called "held" - it wasn't always that way to my recollection.

You might like to cast your mind back to the 2005 semi against the Dragons and the crucial penalty that went to the Tigers when Barrett played on after being called held. He was far less held than the Manly player was last night, but last night there was no call.

I was always taught throughout junior football if you are bought to the ground, the ball touches the ground and they still have a hold on even your boot that you are tackled.

I can let most other things slide but football basics being ignored irks me.

I agree that current practice is not in accord with the way the game has always been played. Same story with the practice of calling players off-side which is now standard. However as I see it the refs played to current practice on that one even though I 100% agree he was tackled according to the rules of the game.

I think it had alot more to do with assumption than anything. The first time Watmough got up and continued I agree he was not held. It is like the reffs decided that "he is a powerful ball runner and therefore a legs tackle is not held.

I will state straight out though that I blame Checcin. He is the most incompetant gimp with the whistle. A fine touchie but not a reffs anal floss. He hates the Tigers and blames Sheens for holding back his career as a reff. He was very by the book as a touchie but his ego and vendettas shine through when he reffs us.

When we played the Cows and after watching the replay do you honestly think the video reff seeing what we all saw would have reffered to it as lashing out? I think not to be honest. I would predict any other reff in control of that incident and Watts would have been gone

Really, the refereeing was poor last night. A ref shoudln't be the one to 'set the tone' of the game, that is up to the players. Even though we got those penalties in the first 5 mins, I would have to admit that some were marginal, and I would rather refs let marginal ones go on both sides, than blow the pee out of the whistle for only part of the game. The worst thing is the whistle of both of them seems to get lost in the last 20mins of almost every game (particularly close ones). The time of the game should not make a difference to the decsions made.
\
\
Honestly, Chechin was terrible, and his credentials are seen by his inaction in the Cowboys game a few weeks back. If he steps in and polices the game according to the rules (with discretion), then the second punch up doesn't happen at all. It seems the timing of the two referees has been terrible, with the loss of the likes of Mander, Clark, Simpkins and Hampstead over the past few years (no matter personal opinion of these refs, they are 1000x better anything currently running around).
\
\
In regard to Hayne, he was poor without being too bad. He needs to get a new stopwatch, and some glasses though, as I believe that you have 40 seconds to take a drop-out (without time being called off), and if the player taking the kick-off is jogging to take it (which Benji was in each time last night, then time cannot be stopped), yet Hayne decided after about 10 seconds (and about 10 million whinges from Orford and Watmough) that the clock should be stopped. All that anybody in the competition is asking for is consistiency, but unfortunatley it seems extremely rare.

After watching the replay I am really convinced we were dudded by both reffs.

Watmough made contact with the head alot, and pushed markers (alot of manly players did that but when he pushed Galloway down it created the space for a linebreak)

George Rose was allowed sooooo very long after being told movement, I don't care if he is a chubby guy if he can't move than it is a penalty.

The reffs gave the she beagles a rails run for 80 minutes with maybe one of the four penalties we recieved being a little harsh.

Arko must have got the knee pads out to earn that

Exactly…no bias either..it's how it was...Sheens should be spewing,,,,Time to call Finch.....

Back