I'm cautiously optimistic.
With the club's poor retention history of promising young players and the tried and true early release playbook used flawlessly against the club so many times, I don't understand how anyone could not be wary.
How many times does it have to happen before unbridled hope turns to naivety? Especially with the whole Galvin fiasco so fresh...
I'm not knocking anyone for having high hopes for him - I do myself of course (as I did with Galvin) - but there must surely come a time when it is simply pragmatic to see how it pans out.
As for the leaving school early thing, the guy from the school said he was into his carpentry, so it's possible the only benefit to his staying was for rugby and not academic. I'm sure the club would've had have no problem finding him an apprenticeship if that's what he wanted.
Don't get me wrong; I think it was a great decision to see out the school year and shows the kid has loyalty, whilst the club didn't pressure him too much. Article implies they did, but the fact he signed and is still there to me says otherwise.
TLDR: Very hopeful, but forgive me for not fully investing in the second coming just yet.
... Still, he is into his carpentry... 🤔 🤣