If you could describe our attack with one word...

In one word. Confused.
It looks like the players are confused. They dont appear to know what they should be doing or when. Additionally, i'm confused watching it. There are aspects of a game plan that i can see, but i don't understand why we would be trying to play that way. We currently look more square pegs, round hole then we ever have. We have some of the better hit up merchants in the game in Klemmer and Utoikamanu trying to pass between themselves or out the back. We have the most ineffective power forward in our squad in Twal trying for barge overs everytime we get near the line. We have noone pushing forward whenever Api runs and no line runners when the halves get the ball, despite line running being a strength of Papallii, Blore and Kepoa. We have no-one attempting to organise set plays or shape. I am well aware Brooks is a poor organiser but he isn't actually trying to organise anything as far as i can see. That isnt poor organisation by Brooks, that is a coaching instruction by Sheens, which would be fine but it doesnt fit with the rest of the way we are attacking.
I actually like the two running halves model, and believe it should work well if our best 17 played to their strengths. I don't subscribe to the theory that you need a traditional organising 7. But what you do need is power running from your middle forwards to suck in defenders and generate quick play the balls for your halves to attack off the back of with speed. But our power forwards arent doing that. They are jogging to the line and looking to pass the ball. If we aren't going to win the collision with our middles but instead look to 'promote the ball' then we need an organiser to beat teams with shape. And if thats what were trying to do then why are we starting with Brooks at 7 with instructions to simply react.

Currently every question has one answer in Wests Tigers:

Back in '05, we did this, back in '05 we did that..

Back